Yuki in singles semis, doubles final in wild card play-off
Shenzhen (China): India`s Yuki Bhambri on Friday inched closer to get wild entry in the Australian Open not only in the singles but also in the doubles by recording crushing victories at Luohu Tennis Club, here.
He first played the singles and the second seed Indian demolished the challenge of unranked Chinese Zhicheng Zhu 6-2 6-1 to reach the semifinals.
Ranked 204, Yuki broke Zhicheng twice in the opening set. He lost his serve in the second set which allowed his rival get on board but Yuki did not let the Chinese win a single game on his own serve after that and closed the match in a jiffy.
He now faces world number 205 and third seed Di Wu for a place in the final. Di Wu, who was ranked 161 last year in May, dispatched compatriot and wild card Zhe Li 6-3 6-3 in his quarter-final match.
Yuki later combined with New Zealand`s Michael Venus to reach the doubles final.
The second seeded pair routed third seeded pair of Chieh-Fu Wang and Jimmy Wang 6-2 6-0 in just 40 minutes.
They will now fight it out with fourth seeds Mao-Xin Gong and Zhe Li, who knocked out the top seeds Hsin Han Lee and Hsien Yin Peng in the other semifinal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31