Zvonareva licks Lisicki to reach quarters against Stosur
New York: Second seed Vera Zvonareva beat Sabine Lisicki of Germany 6-2 6-3 Sunday to advance to the quarter-finals of the U.S. Open.
Zvonareva, runner-up at Flushing Meadows last year to Kim Clijsters, played a steady match from the baseline and picked her spots to charge the net in dismissing Lisicki, a semi-finalist this summer at Wimbledon.
The 26-year-old Russian, who also reached last year`s Wimbledon final before bowing to Serena Williams, made just 11 unforced errors and converted 10 of 11 points she contested at the net.
"I think I played pretty consistent this match," Zvonareva said in an on-court interview. "I think I did everything right today."
Zvonareva advanced to a showdown against Australian Sam Stosur, a 6-2 6-7 6-3 winner over Russian Maria Kirilenko.
The ninth-seeded Stosur has won her last seven matches against Zvonareva after losing their first encounter.
"Actually, the last couple of times I played against Sam we played very tight matches," Zvonareva said. "We`ve always had tough ones.
"I think I`ll have to show my best tennis to beat her. I`m excited about the next challenge."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users