Zvonareva struggles once again but advances at U.S. Open
New York: Vera Zvonareva struggled once again at the U.S. Open but the second seed managed to defeat pesky Spaniard Anabel Medina Garrigues 6-4, 7-5 on Friday and move into the fourth round of the year`s final grand slam.
Zvonareva, a finalist in 2010, needed two hours to defeat Garrigues for the fourth time in five career meetings.
The 26-year-old Russian committed 35 unforced errors while producing only 25 winners under sunny skies in Arthur Ashe Stadium on the grounds of the National Tennis Center.
Zvonareva, who was not at her best while defeating Ukrainian Kateryna Bondarenko 7-5, 3-6, 6-3 in her second-round match, will next face either unseeded American Irina Falconi or number 22 Sabine Lisicki of Germany.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday