Not obsessed with becoming PM; committed to UP: Rahul
Assembly Elections
Not obsessed with becoming PM; committed to UP: Rahul
Last Updated: Monday, February 06, 2012, 21:29
 Comments 12
Not obsessed with becoming PM; committed to UP: Rahul

Zeenews Bureau

Varanasi: Stating he was not "obsessed" with becoming the Prime Minister of the country like many other political leaders, Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi on Monday said he was committed to transforming Uttar Pradesh where people have been "fooled" for the last 22 years by successive regimes.

Addressing a press conference here, on the last day of campaigning for the 1st phase of polls due on February 8, Rahul said he was not concerned about winning or losing the high-stakes battle in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections as his only aim was to restore honour of the people of the state.

“This is no longer an election and frankly, I am not concerned about what the results are… this is epoch… what has been going on in UP for the last 22 years is a crime. It is our duty to not accept the misrule and the type of games being played with the people of this state,” he said, adding, “I have realised the power of the people of the state. I have realised that this state can stand on its feet very soon.”

“You change the state with an idea; I want to give hope to the people of UP and I will not leave until the state gets hope. I am absolutely convinced, not 99%, not 99.9% but 100% that this state has energy to transform itself… all UP needs now is someone who hold its hand and says let’s do it,” he said.

Rahul was unsparing in his criticism of BSP supremo Mayawati and Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav, saying both have distanced themselves from the people and do not want to bring about a change.

He said governments in UP in the last 22 years have only worked for 10 per cent of the population. Parties with "goondas and thieves" came to power one after the other, he said.

Making his point, the young leader stated, “UP is slowing India down and it is not UP’s fault; it is the fault of the leaders of the UP of the last 22 years. We will not tolerate it anymore. Full stop!”

When asked by a scribe whether he was conceding defeat by talking about “being not concerned about election results”, he said, “I am not conceding defeat, I am conceding victory. The results will be solid for the Congress. People of UP are looking at Congress seriously, wherever I go the people are saying this to me. “

“Be it 200 (seats), 400 or 2, till the time people of UP don’t get respect I will be here. We are here not to form alliances with political parties, we will form alliances only with the people of UP,” he added.

“Mission 2012 is not my line…my mission is to change UP, I want to change UP. 2012 elections, then 2014 elections, Rahul Gandhi will not step backward till UP stands on its feet,” he stressed.

“Congress party will stand up (he actually stood up from his seat to assert his belief) in this election. After that whatever happens in the politics of UP, Congress will be a decider,” a confident looking Rahul announced.

‘Not in race for PM’

Gandhi dismissed speculation that he was in the race for prime ministership.

Slamming his opponents, he said, “Every political leader in the country has one obsession - that is prime ministership. I have one obsession too and that is to correct the monumental crime being committed in UP…I don’t want anything else. I am not talking about lies here, I am not promising lies here because I am only repeating what they are saying.”

“Political leaders start to believe that they have power but no political leader in the world has power… they just transmit... we listen, we transmit,” Rahul said.

When asked about the steps being taken by the UPA government to bring back black money, which can aid in the development of UP, Rahul said that Baba Ramdev has been sending people with black flags to his rallies but he is not concerned. “I have learnt from my grandmother, I don’t fear anyone,” he stated.

Targeting the BJP over corruption, he said its leader LK Advani and some others had laughed at him for his idea of constitutional status to Lokpal but a constitutional status for Lokpal was "India's idea".

He said there is a "beauty" in the design of the Election Commission which has constitutional status. "Let us make a Lokpal Bill along the same lines."

He said Advani overlooked corruption in BJP-ruled states during his anti-corruption yatra.

"Whenever there has been a problem of corruption in the Congress party, any place, any time, we will take action. We have put ministers in jail."

First Published: Monday, February 06, 2012, 11:59

Comments

Raj - Ajmer
this aggression shows the honesty to work in up..i will definitely vote for congress..coz no other good option i am seeing in up..

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

benedict - mumbai
Rahul Gandhi is possitive.confident and assertive.he is honest and want change in UP.he has vision and he want to restore honour of UP..Rahul want to develop UP.He is not aspiring to become PM....i strongly believe that he is a very honest and upright

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

BRIJ - NEWYORK
READERS AND LISTENERS PAY ATTENTION CLOSELY HE IS SAME BREED LIKE A RAJA,KALMADI OR OUR CORRUPT CENTRE GOVT TRUSTING HIM IS LIKE TRUSTING THEM.

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

Harihar Das - Orissa,khurda
when purse is full there is plenty of friends,when purse is empty there is nobody .

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

RAKESH KAPUR - A M R I T S A R
WHEN RAHUL SAYS THAT HE IS NOT OBSESSED WITH BEING PM, HE SEEMS TO MEAN WHAT HE SAYS. I THINK THE PERFORMANCE OF THE CONGRESS PARTY IS DEFINITELY GOING TO SHOW AN IMPROVEMENT IN THE COMING UP ASSEMBLY POLLS AND AFTER THE AGGRESSIVE COMPAIGNING OF PRIYANKA GANDHI, ITS TALLY MAY TOUCH MORE THAN 150. LET US SEE TO WHICH WAY THE WIND BLOWS.

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

Shailendra Nagar - vadodara
All the best Rahul.Your pain for UP is appreciable .But people are not fools as u claim that u will take UP out of the pathetic condition.Do`nt forget the state is run by people who has given all their life for politics but still huge problems are there.In such a situation your 7 years of political expression is definetely not going to create any magic

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

Pradip Burman - Kolkata
Dear UP people please forget about all scams done by congress 2G scams, Coomonwealth scams, Adarsh scam, Bofors scandal, Telgi Scam, IPL Scam because Rahul Gandhi will gift UP people new multi crorre Scam Gifts. Don`t give any vote to BJP because they do development in Full UP, there will development in each and every fields which is dangerous for corrupt political party like SP, BSP & congress.

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

RAAJ - Allahabad
Why this change obsession and futile talks of restoring honour to U.P. only at the time of elections.Rahul da Vinci were you sleeping throughout the rule of UPA I & II with atlantean loads of corruption at the Centre one after the other.UPians are honoured enough with Congress dynasty and in all possibility you ar Bahadur Shah Jafar the last Mogul.Please dont waste your time in India as the people are resolute not to be fools any more.

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

Er jiban prakash samal - Orissa
I want to see rahul gandhi as a pm and me is cm of congress in orissa

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

anil kumar ojha - noida
Enough cast politics,enough bhgava,enough gundaraj!NOW TIMES COME TO SUPPORT RAHUL IN HIS ENDEVAOUR TO TO REBUILD U.P. AND PUT THE WHEELS BACK ON THE PATH OF PROGRESS.There are times that we differ from Rahul but one thing isclear that the man is working honestly ,tirelessly for the people of U.P..forget baba,s,forget sadhvi.s,just support rahul.

Post your Comments

X
Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

Pages: 1 2

Post your Comments

Name
Place :
Email :
Comments :

Other News

Issuse

Chronology of Chief Ministers
View Slideshow .. »
Issuse
Tourism History
View Slideshow .. »
Issuse
Date of Poll - Phase 1 08.02.12 (Wednesday)
Date of Poll - Phase 2 11.02.12 (Saturday)
Date of Poll - Phase 3 15.02.12 (Wednesday)
Date of Poll - Phase 4 19.02.12 (Sunday)
More .. »