More than 11 crore people took a dip in the Godavari river in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh during the 12-day Godavari maha pushkaralu festival that ended on Saturday.
Andhra Pradesh News
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu has said that the state government planned to link the Godavari river with Krishna and Penna rivers.
After Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi made a strong pitch for grant of "special category" status to Andhra Pradesh and accused the state government of not pushing the matter seriously, the Chief Minister has said that he was confident of getting it operationalised with the help of Centre.
Tens of thousands thronged the banks of the Godavari in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh to take a holy dip on Saturday, the last day of Godavari maha pushkaralu, a de facto Kumbh mela.
Praising the Self-Help Group (SHG) women movement built over the years in Andhra Pradesh, Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi on Friday alleged that the TDP government in the state has destroyed the endeavour.
As many as 3.85 crore pilgrims have taken holy dip in the ongoing Godavari 'Maha Pushkaram' since the festival began in Andhra Pradesh on July 14, a state minister said on Thursday.
Authorities here have stepped up measures to ensure security on the banks of Godavari river due to rise in water level keeping in view the rush of pilgrims attending the 12-day 'Pushkaram' festival.
The Andhra Pradesh Government wants to keep beggars away from bathing ghats during the ongoing 'Godavari Puskharam' and is offering Rs 10,000 to each of them so that they stay away from the religious event, which is attracting lakhs of pilgrims here.
The Andhra Pradesh government on Wednesday allotted 2,295 acres of land for a missile testing range coming up in Kurnool district.
In a unique initiative to keep them away from the crowded ghats where Godavari Pushkaralu is now being held, beggars have been asked by the Andhra Pradesh government to take Rs 5,000.
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu has urged pilgrims at Godavari Pushkaram to keep bathing ghats clean and take it upon themselves as a responsibility.
A meeting of the Andhra Pradesh Cabinet would be held on Wednesday in Rajahmundry where Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu is staying for the ongoing Godavari Pushakaram.
Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi would undertake a 'padayatra' and interact with farmers, weavers and women from self-help groups in Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh during a visit on July 24.
YSR Congress on Tuesday alleged that the master plan for AP capital city released by the TDP government is a "diversionary tactic" to "cover up" the recent 'Pushkaram' stampede tragedy which claimed 27 lives.
MDMK leader Vaiko on Tuesday said he would decide on the next course of action if the Tamil Nadu government does not take any steps to inquire into the incident of gunning down of 20 workers from the state by the Andhra Pradesh Police in the Seshachalam forest in April.
Two of Singapore's township developers are likely to bid for projects to develop Andhra Pradesh's new capital city, Amravati.
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has issued notices to the Chief Secretary and Director General of Andhra Pradesh Police on the basis of media reports that a woman Tehsildar from Krishna district was beaten by an MLA of Telugu Desam Party (TDP) and an alleged sand mafia in the presence of policemen on July 9.
Nine persons were on Monday killed and eight others injured when an APSRTC bus rammed into a stationary autorickshaw here, police said.
Eight persons, including three women, inside a stationary auto were on Monday killed and four others injured after it was hit by a state transport bus here, police said.
ESL Narasimhan, Governor of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, on Monday took a holy dip in the river Godavari on the seventh day of the ongoing 'Mahapushkaram' here.
Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) is running 300 special buses, in a bid to meet the extra rush of pilgrims on holiday for the ongoing Godavari Pushkaram.
In a gruesome incident, a man allegedly killed his wife and infant child by setting them on fire in Chittinagar area here on Saturday.
Muslims across Telangana and Andhra Pradesh on Saturday celebrated Eid-ul-Fitr with religious fervour and gaiety.
Necessary arrangements are in place to handle the heavy flow of devotees that is expected at bathing ghats for Godavari Pushkaram in view of two consecutive holidays, Andhra Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister N Chinnarajappa said on Saturday.
More than 30 lakh pilgrims have taken the holy dip in Godavari river at Rajahmundry alone in the first four days of the Pushkaram festival, Andhra Pradesh government said today.
Seventeen years after he was reported missing in Chattisgarh, a son was reunited with his father here.
Amid the ongoing 'Godavari Pushkaram' here, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu has stressed that the river is clean and assured it would be protected in future as well.
A local court has awarded three years' rigorous imprisonment to a section engineer working with the South Central Railway for acquiring assets disproportionate to his known sources of income.
The Central government will take all steps to clean river Godavari, Union Minister Prakash Javadekar said on Thursday.
Two days after the deadly stampede in which 27 pilgrims were killed, the Godavari 'Pushkaram' witnessed huge rush of devotees on Thursday on the occasion of 'Amavasya' even as officials said the 12-day religious event was going on without any hitch.
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Woman among terrorists who attacked Gurdaspur police station
- Watch: 15 reports from 15 cities
- Kargil Vijay Diwas: India commemorates its historic win against Pakistan
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Terrorists came from Pakistan's Narowal area, say sources
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed
- After uproar, Salman Khan tenders 'unconditional' apology for controversial Yakub Memon tweets
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Did Yakub Memon return to India on understanding with intelligence officials, asks Omar Abdullah
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- Salman Khan's tweets on Yakub Memon: Right to express one's opinion or needless controversy?
- Iran's Khamenei threatens US, tweets Obama's silhouette picture with a gun to his head
- Google Glass may improve social skills in autistic people
- Lalu calls for Bihar bandh on Monday over release of caste census figures, calls Modi "Kaliya Naag"
- 'Brothers': Karan Johar celebrates 8 million views!