Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Sunday urged the Centre to allocate Rs 5,00,000 crore for developing 'Smart Villages' across the country instead of focusing on 'Smart Cities'.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today announced that the state government would soon set up a centre for innovation named after late former President APJ Abdul Kalam, who passed away on Monday.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has come under fire for being in 'celebratory' mode at a time when the nation is mourning the loss of former president and Bharat Ratna Dr APJ Abdul Kalam.
At least three Karbi People's Liberation Tiger (KPLT) militants, including an 'operational commander', were killed on Wednesday in an encounter and a training camp of the outfit was busted in Karbi Anglong district by a joint team of Army and Assam police.
The RSS and the Bajrang Dal were not extremist organisations but communal forces which were bent on disturbing peace in the state, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday said.
At least 66 people people have died of Japanese Encephalitis this year across Assam, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said on Monday.
A red alert has been issued across Assam following a terror attack in Gurudaspur district of Punjab, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said on Monday.
Gauhati High Court on Friday suspended proceedings for four weeks against BJP leader Subramanian Swamy in a lower court for allegedly delivering a hate speech on Ayodhya issue here in March and issued notice to Assam government and the complainant.
Huge quantities of explosives have been recovered at Hatkhola of Boko in Assam's Kamrup District.
Militant outfits in the northeast region frequently target innocent civilians, as a result of which, people in Assam have been protesting against the Paresh Baruah -led faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom following the killing of two Hindi-speaking people in Tinsukia district.
Acting on specific intelligence, the Army and Assam Police on Thursday arrested a suspected Kamtapur Liberation Oragnisation (KLO) terrorist in a joint operation.
NIA has filed charge sheet in five cases this month against 26 NDFB(S) militants accused in the killing of tribal villagers and members of the minority community in three Assam districts last year.
Buckling under pressure of the opposition and a section of own party colleagues, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday announced setting up of an inquiry commission to probe alleged irregularities in state civil services examinations and recruitment.
An 8-year child was killed and a 10-year-old was injured in an attack by unidentified men inside a video hall in Dima Hasao district.
After over six months of probe, NIA on Wednesday filed a chargesheet against four people allegedly belonging to NDFB-S terror group for the killing of 36 people in Assam's Sonitpur area last year.
Security forces on Tuesday apprehended an alleged militant belonging to the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (Songbjit) from Assam's Kokrajhar region.
Sixteen persons have been arrested in connection with the beheading of a woman by branding her a witch at a village in Sonitpur district.
Nobel Laureate Kailash Satyarthi on Tuesday called upon the youth to join him in his "ambitious campaign of protecting 100 billion left out children".
The flood situation in Assam remained serious on Tuesday with nearly 32,000 people in 35 villages hit by it.
Assam government on Tuesday announced to set up a dedicated fund for prevention, rescue and rehabilitation of trafficked children.
An NDFB(S) militant, suspected to have been involved in the massacre of adivasis in December last year, was killed in an encounter with security forces at Amteka in Chirang district of Assam on Tuesday.
Three youths killed a 63-year-old woman in Assam on Monday after suspecting her to be a witch, police said. All three have been arrested.
A 60-year-old woman was beheaded on Monday allegedly by a group of villagers who suspected that she had been practising witchcraft in Assam's Sonitpur district.
Hundreds of people here on Sunday took to streets protesting against the actions of ULFA (I) militants who have been targeting unarmed people in Assam for many years.
Senior Congress leader and former MP Kirip Chaliha on Saturday alleged "serious corruption" in holding the state civil services examination and demanded a thorough probe by CBI into the irregularities.
A hardcore NDFB(S) cadre, carrying a reward of Rs five lakh on his head, was on Friday killed in an encounter with Assam police in Kokrajhar district, police said.
The National Human Rights Commission said on Friday it has issued notices to Defence Ministry and Assam Police over alleged sexual assault on three women, including a teenager, by Army personnel in the state.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Friday said the "safe haven" of insurgent groups in Myanmar was the biggest threat to the state and the region.
A CRPF jawan Friday allegedly shot dead his officer and injured four other colleagues when they were out on an operational task in Nalbari district of Assam.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Friday spoke to Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi about the killing of a Hindi-speaking businessman and his daughter by suspected ULFA militants in Tinsukia.
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- DNA: Analysis on ISIS preparing to attack India
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Floods create havoc in several parts of India
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution-Part 2
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- What is the mystery behind Lord Krishna temple in Nidhivan
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Asaram Bapu shown as 'saint' in Rajasthan school book
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- India, Bangladesh enclave residents get freedom after 68 years
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Watch video: 164 skydivers form largest ever vertical formation, set new world record
- Osama bin Laden's family members reportedly killed in private jet crash in Britain
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub Memon's wife, sacked
- This is how Urdu media reported Yakub Memon's hanging
- ISIS horror: Militants gives 4-yr-old boy sword, tells him 'this is to kill your mother'
- India wants APJ Abdul Kalam on currency notes