Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Saturday said the state and central governments have taken strong measures to seal the India-Bangladesh border and added that the international border in Assam will be sealed in line with Kashmir, Punjab and Rajasthan.
Army troops carried out rescue operation in parts of Chirang districts, where the floods have inundated several villages, and evacuated at least 30 persons.
Noisy scenes were witnessed in the Assam Assembly for the second day in a row over the Special Category Status issue as the opposition Congress staged a brief walkout alleging partiality by the Speaker over allowing a discussion on the matter.
A woman died in the city on Wednesday in a landslide triggered by heavy rains which caused the flood situation in the state to remain grim.
The Assam State Disaster Management Authority said the Brahmaputra river is flowing above danger mark at several places.
In a series of joint operations, the Army and Assam Police on Sunday gunned down three top NDFB(S) militants in Kokrajhar district.
Heavy downpour is disrupting normal life in several parts of country since last couple of days, however, the national capital has been experiencing major relief with the showers brining down the temperature significantly.
Flood situation in Assam worsened on Friday with nearly 1.75 lakh people suffering across six districts of the state.
At least 13 people including 12 policemen were injured on Friday in clashes between police and protesters who were demanding shifting of AIIMS in Assam from Changsari to here, about 130 km from Guwahati.
Assam Police on Monday asked people not to get panicky over reports of "some jehadis" entering the state from Bangladesh saying it was looking into the issue.
The River Brahmaputra is flowing above the danger mark in Jorhat, putting immense pressure on embankments in the district.
The floods have also damaged around 50 percent infrastructure of the Sanctuary which is the world's densest habitat of the Great Indian one-horn rhinoceros.
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal today met Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh and discussed with him various issues concerning the state.
At least two persons were killed in landslide in Assam even as the flood situation in the state worsened on Thursday following heavy rains in the last 24 hours.
The Assam Police has been put on alert after the recent terror attacks in Bangladesh and reports of five suspected terrorists crossing over from the neighbouring country into India and heading for Assam, a senior police officer said.
Assam govt sources said more than 88,000 people are reeling under flood in 257 villages across Lakhimpur, Dhemaji, Nagaon, Jorhat, Golaghat, Morigaon and Biswanath districts.
Four persons, including an overground worker of a National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) faction and two teachers, have been arrested for extortion for terror funding, Assam Police said on Monday.
In a major success for the Indian Army in conjunction with Assam Police, a new terrorist outfit named 'Helem Tiger Force' was busted in a sustained operation over the last few days.
Assam CM to take steps preventing harassment of poor
Lakhs of devotees from various parts of the country and abroad thronged the Kamakhya temple here in Assam to take part in the annual Ambubachi fair that started on Wednesday.
A nine-month-old baby drowned and two others went missing when the country boat in which they were traveling capsized in Chimen river in Assam's Dhemaji district on Monday.
Assam Pradesh Congress Committee president Anjan Dutta, who passed away Thursday morning at the AIIMS hospital in New Delhi following cardiac failure, will be cremated on Friday.
Assam Pradesh Congress Committee president Anjan Dutta passed away on Thursday morning at the AIIMS hospital here following cardiac failure.
A major tragedy was averted at the Bagdogra on Tuesday when a Spice Jet flight landed at the airport with a nose wheel tyre burst.
Top Indian Army officials on Sunday commemorated the valiant actions of the Assam Regiment in the Chhamb-Akhnoor theatre in the 1971 India-Pakistan war.
Assam education minister said this will cover 310 government and provincialised colleges across the state benefitting 50,000-60,000 students.
This was conveyed to Prime Minister Narendra Modi by Sonowal during a 25-minute meeting here today.
Dolphin on Monday became Assam state capital's mascot.
Sonowal asked the border sentinels to ensure erection of fencing expeditiously for a safe and fool-proof border with the neighbouring country.
The Assam Higher Secondary Education Council on Thursday declared Assam Class 12 Result 2016 AHSEC, Assam Board Higher Secondary Final Results, Assam Class 12 Results, Assam Higher Secondary Class XII Arts/Commerce Exam Result 2016.
- Why has patriotism became a bane in Kashmir?
- Why has patriotism became a bane in Kashmir? Part II
- Why has patriotism became a bane in Kashmir? Part III
- Why has patriotism became a bane in Kashmir? Part IV
- Why has patriotism became a bane in Kashmir? Part V
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir?
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part II
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part III
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- DNA: Dr Subhash Chandra show on importance of 'Social media networking'
- No trace of missing IAF AN-32 plane as yet
- Tour de France: Chris Froome extends lead despite crash as Romain Bardet wins stage
- Missing IAF plane: Parrikar likely to visit Chennai tomorrow
- SHOCKING: FC Goa co-owners Dempo, Salgaocar 'quit' Indian Super League
- WHO, World Bank report urges healthcare reforms in China
- IMF boss Lagarde to stand trial over $400 mn Tapie payout
- CBI arrests man who forged PM Modi's signature
- Turkey detains almost 300 presidential guards: Official
- SC notice to EC on procedure for unseating lawmaker upon conviction
- Communal clash in Gujarat kills one
- IAF's AN-32 transport aircraft with 29 on board goes missing; massive search operation launched
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Cook, Root tons help hosts post 314/4 on Day 1
- Low-cost cancer treatment should be priority: NITI Aayog CEO
- SC orders medical board in abnormal foetus case
- Shooting rampage in Munich shopping mall: As it happened
- Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting