Free text books will be available to students by December 25 this year as the new sessions will start from January 1, IANS reported.
Assam has recorded 928 new HIV cases with an estimated 12,090 people living with HIV(PLHA) last year, according to Assam State AIDS Control Society (ASACS).
Assam Police are reviewing the security of some BJP leaders in view of threats from a faction of the United Liberation Front of Assam (Ulfa), a police official said on Monday.
The Assam government has decided to discontinue the weekly holiday on Friday in some of government-run high madrassas in the state, said Health & Education Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Monday.
The inmates, undergoing rigorous imprisonment for life, in their petition submitted that it became a problem for the prisoners, confined in jail, to deposit cash in hand of more than Rs 50,000 in demonetised currency notes of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000.
The Raj Bhavan here on Friday also sought a direction from President Mukherjee seeking to remove the tainted chairman.
Several hours after her death, the forest officials took out the elephant`s body from the pit with the help of a crane. Later, they removed her tusk and buried her remains.
Jasim Ahmed, Additional Conservator of Forest, West Sonitpur Forest Division, said the FIR was lodged at Salanibari police outpost under Tezpur police station.
The order comes hours after a female elephant died at a project site of Patanjali Herbal and Mega Food Park near Tezpur in Assam.
Many groups of ULFA cadres travelled to Pakistan during the 1990s to receive training with the help of ISI.
The 15 Kumaon Regiment of Indian Army at Burhi Dihing, Tinsukia, was attacked on Saturday morning, the banned outfit said in a statement.
"Spoke to Assam CM Sonowal who apprised me of the situation in the wake of blast in Tinsukia. The MHA is closely monitoring the situation," Rajnath said.
"The polling ended peacefully. The overall percentage of voting is 60.93 percent," Chief Electoral Officer Mukesh C Sahu told PTI here.
Polling started for the by-polls to Lakhimpur Lok Sabha constituency and Baithalangso Assembly constituency in Assam on Saturday amid tight security.
Heavily-armed militants of the outlawed United Liberation Front of Assam (Independent) ambushed an Army convoy at around 5:30 am near the Pengeri reserve forest.
A PIL has been filed in the Supreme Court against Godman Asaram and his son Narayan Sai by an eyewitness who claims that he saw Narayan Sai doing tantrik practice on the dead body of a child.
A large number of torn demonetised currency notes of Rs 500 and Rs 1000 denominattion totaling an estimated Rs 3.5 crore were found floating in a drain and Bharalu river at two different places in Guwahati today, a police officer said.
All Assam Madrassa Teachers Workers Association and All Assam Madrassa Students Union will extend their support to BJP nominees in the November 19 by-election to Lakhimpur parliamentary and Baithalangso Assembly seats in the state.
An adult male rhino was killed by poachers today in Kaziranga National Park in Assam taking the toll to 15 this year, a forest department official said.
The Assam Pavilion was inaugurated at the India International Trade Fair (IITF), 2016 in New Delhi by Additional Chief Secretary (Industries and Commerce Department) Ravi Capoor yesterday.
Assam boy Abhisekh Saharia received the National Child Award for Exceptional Achievement from President Pranab Mukherjee on the occasion of Children's Day at Rashtrapati Bhawan yesterday.
The incident took place when 36-year-old Thangboi, who was on leave, returned to his home in the village. He is posted in Tripura, police said.
Gauhati High Court judge Nishitendu Chaudhury died of dengue at a private hospital here on Saturday.
Chief Judicial Magistrate, Kamrup, Sanjoy Hazarika during the hearing allowed Gandhi to be represented by his lawyer during the next hearing on Dec 23.
At a meeting with the Union Minister of State for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship here, Sonowal apprised him of the status of the recently-opened Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra (PMKK) in Guwahati among others.
Several Bodo organisations on Monday blocked rail movement for 12 hours, disrupting train connectivity in the northern part of Assam since early morning.
The minority communities include Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Parsis and Christians.
All Bodo Students Union President Promod Boro said rail tracks will be blocked at Basugaon and Udalguri to press the government on their demand.
NDFB leader, Ranjan Daimary, who has joined the peace process, has declined to join the revival plan for Bodoland.
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Demonetisation: Petrol pumps turn into cash counters
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Pakistan International Airlines plane crashes near Abbottabad
- AIADMK workers in dilemma following Jayalalithaa's death
- Pro-poor schemes initiated by 'Puratchi Thalaivi' Jayalalithaa
- Bihar: Railway police seize 35 lakh in old currency notes from Jan Shatabdi Express in Gaya
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Here's why J Jayalalitha was buried and not cremated!
- DNA: Hindi named in top 10 most powerful languages in the world
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone cuts the price of 4G data by 50%
- Donald Trump named Time magazine's Person of the Year for 2016
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs
- PIA plane crashes near Abbottabad; singer Junaid Jamshed feared dead
- Jayalalithaa used to give tips on skin care - Apollo Hospitals' medical staff recall Amma's stay
- SHOCKER: Bhuvneshwar Kumar floors umpire Paul Reiffel with 'wicketless' ball — WATCH
- Allahabad HC on triple talaq: Instant divorce is cruel, demeaning which impedes and drags India from becoming nation
- Cho Ramaswamy, a close friend of Jayalalithaa, dies; PM Narendra Modi calls him 'great nationalist'