Two persons died on Tuesday and around 16 lakh people of 19 districts of Assam are affected by flood as the water level of the Brahmaputra and its tributaries continue to rise submerging houses, farm lands and wild life sanctuaries.
Security forces killed two NDFB militants in Assam`s Kokrajhar district.
Chief Minister Sarbanand Sonowal reviewed the situation yesterday as over six lakh people are reeling under the fury of flood in Assam.
An ASDMA official said the flood have inundated large areas in several districts.
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Saturday said the state and central governments have taken strong measures to seal the India-Bangladesh border and added that the international border in Assam will be sealed in line with Kashmir, Punjab and Rajasthan.
Army troops carried out rescue operation in parts of Chirang districts, where the floods have inundated several villages, and evacuated at least 30 persons.
Noisy scenes were witnessed in the Assam Assembly for the second day in a row over the Special Category Status issue as the opposition Congress staged a brief walkout alleging partiality by the Speaker over allowing a discussion on the matter.
A woman died in the city on Wednesday in a landslide triggered by heavy rains which caused the flood situation in the state to remain grim.
The Assam State Disaster Management Authority said the Brahmaputra river is flowing above danger mark at several places.
In a series of joint operations, the Army and Assam Police on Sunday gunned down three top NDFB(S) militants in Kokrajhar district.
Heavy downpour is disrupting normal life in several parts of country since last couple of days, however, the national capital has been experiencing major relief with the showers brining down the temperature significantly.
Flood situation in Assam worsened on Friday with nearly 1.75 lakh people suffering across six districts of the state.
At least 13 people including 12 policemen were injured on Friday in clashes between police and protesters who were demanding shifting of AIIMS in Assam from Changsari to here, about 130 km from Guwahati.
Assam Police on Monday asked people not to get panicky over reports of "some jehadis" entering the state from Bangladesh saying it was looking into the issue.
The River Brahmaputra is flowing above the danger mark in Jorhat, putting immense pressure on embankments in the district.
The floods have also damaged around 50 percent infrastructure of the Sanctuary which is the world's densest habitat of the Great Indian one-horn rhinoceros.
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal today met Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh and discussed with him various issues concerning the state.
At least two persons were killed in landslide in Assam even as the flood situation in the state worsened on Thursday following heavy rains in the last 24 hours.
The Assam Police has been put on alert after the recent terror attacks in Bangladesh and reports of five suspected terrorists crossing over from the neighbouring country into India and heading for Assam, a senior police officer said.
Assam govt sources said more than 88,000 people are reeling under flood in 257 villages across Lakhimpur, Dhemaji, Nagaon, Jorhat, Golaghat, Morigaon and Biswanath districts.
Four persons, including an overground worker of a National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) faction and two teachers, have been arrested for extortion for terror funding, Assam Police said on Monday.
In a major success for the Indian Army in conjunction with Assam Police, a new terrorist outfit named 'Helem Tiger Force' was busted in a sustained operation over the last few days.
Assam CM to take steps preventing harassment of poor
Lakhs of devotees from various parts of the country and abroad thronged the Kamakhya temple here in Assam to take part in the annual Ambubachi fair that started on Wednesday.
A nine-month-old baby drowned and two others went missing when the country boat in which they were traveling capsized in Chimen river in Assam's Dhemaji district on Monday.
Assam Pradesh Congress Committee president Anjan Dutta, who passed away Thursday morning at the AIIMS hospital in New Delhi following cardiac failure, will be cremated on Friday.
Assam Pradesh Congress Committee president Anjan Dutta passed away on Thursday morning at the AIIMS hospital here following cardiac failure.
A major tragedy was averted at the Bagdogra on Tuesday when a Spice Jet flight landed at the airport with a nose wheel tyre burst.
Top Indian Army officials on Sunday commemorated the valiant actions of the Assam Regiment in the Chhamb-Akhnoor theatre in the 1971 India-Pakistan war.
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- Why is Sidhu evasive about joining AAP?
- Why is Sidhu evasive about joining AAP?- Part-II
- Why is Sidhu evasive about joining AAP?- Part III
- Why is Sidhu evasive about joining AAP?- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region- Part II
- Xiaomi Mi Note 2 likely to be launched today
- Kabir Khan shares pic of stunning location where Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will begin
- Israeli woman gang-raped in Manali, probe launched
- New protein gives new hope for Alzheimer's cure!
- Android users can now enjoy Prisma app!
- Another setback! Case filed against AAP workers for preventing emergency vehicle's movement
- WATCH: UNPLAYABLE! Have you seen this 'T20 ball of the century' by R Ashwin?
- Flood alert: Situation remains grim in Assam, Arunachal, railways affected in Bihar
- Red Corridor to be redrawn - Know how many districts will be taken off Naxalite–Maoist insurgency list
- SC issues notice to Vijay Mallya for not disclosing assets
- Parliament video: Speaker forms 9-member probe panel, asks Bhagwant Mann not to attend House
- Impressed with Narendra Modi; India is in safe hands under his government - Praises by RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat
- ‘Wanted’ duo Salman Khan – Prabhudheva to team up again?
- NASA's Viking mission data to unfold Mars' mystery
- Kolkata: Boy found killed after party at Amit Chaudhuri's house, author denies knowing him