Forty-four percent voters turned out during the first four hours of the ongoing polls to 24 Legislative Council seats in Bihar, billed as a virtual semi-final ahead of the crucial Assembly polls later this year.
The Election Commission (EC) on Monday said polls to the 24 seats of Bihar Legislative Council will be held on Tuesday as scheduled in the light of the Supreme Court refusing to stay the polls and accepting EC's suggestion that tenure of the elected members be decided by draw of lots.
A minor was allegedly gangraped by four men while another raped by a teenager in separate incidents in this district on Monday.
A 30-year-old man was killed and six of his family were injured when two auto-rickshaws collided with each other near New Barauni Railway station on Monday.
Jan Kranti Adhikar Morcha (JKAM) leader Pappu Yadav on Sunday said that Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Yadav have toxic relations with the Muslims and Dalits of the state.
Ruling out the possibility of alliance with Janata Parivar, Left parties on Sunday announced they will contest the crucial Bihar Assembly election as a "united" bloc.
The battle lines may have been drawn in Bihar, but seat sharing in the rival alliances led by BJP and JD(U) for the upcoming crucial assembly election is likely to be quite a challenge with the constituents all set to strike a hard bargain.
Jan Kranti Adhikar Morcha (JKAM) leader Pappu Yadav on Sunday said that Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Yadav are the biggest enemies of Muslims and the backward classes in the state.
Apparently sensing that the outcome of legislative council polls on July 7 may set the tone for the Assembly polls in Bihar later this year, the BJP on Sunday rained sops, including hikes in various allowances to representatives of three-tier panchayati raj institutions.
Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad on Sunday announced that his party would compel the Bharatiya Janata Party-led central government to make public the caste-based Census data.
President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Narendra Modi greeted Union Food and Consumers Affairs Minister Ramvilas Paswan who turned 69 on Sunday.
A day after an undertrial prisoner was killed in Beur Central Jail in Bihar, police recovered from inmates five iron rods, six knives, a mobile phone, SIM cards, gold jewellery, and cash, officials said.
Looking to be a part of the action in the run up to Bihar Assembly polls later this year, Swaraj Abhiyan, the group founded by expelled AAP leaders Yogendra Yadav and Prashant Bhushan, has said it will campaign against the "corrupt and candidates with criminal background".
Indian-Americans have raised USD 75,000 at a recent fund raiser in California to build a state- of-the-art 200-bed super speciality eye-hospital in Bihar.
A court in Bihar on Saturday directed the authorities to file an FIR against actor Sunny Deol, director Chandra Prakash Dwivedi and writer Kasinath Singh, saying their movie "Mohalla Assi" hurt religious sentiments of people.
In a major catch, a suspected veteran Maoist, who is accused in several cases of violence and absconding since 1992, was arrested from Patna rural district area today.
Union Minister Ramvilas Paswan on Saturday accused Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and RJD president Lalu Prasad of trying to divide the society by "indulging in caste politics" and asked NDA supporters to rise above it.
Ahead of the Bihar assembly polls, BJP ally RLSP was on Saturday not invited to a meeting of the NDA in Patna, an RLSP spokesperson said.
The BJP on Saturday attacked Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar for talking about vision 2025 for development of Bihar, but "allying with retrograde forces of 1990s".
A local court on Saturday admitted a defamation complaint against Bihar Health Minister Ramdhani Singh filed by the wife of senior BJP leader Sushil Kumar Modi for allegedly saying that she was working as a professor on the basis of fake degrees.
A man who was arrested on Saturday for stabbing former Bihar minister Ejaz-ul-Haq, here, alleged that the latter had been forcing him to indulge in sex and he attacked him to take vengeance, police said.
An undertrial prisoner was beaten to death on Saturday in a clash between two groups of inmates in a jail here, prompting authorities to suspend two jail wardens.
An armed man attacked and seriously injured Ejaz-ul-Haq, former Bihar minister who is also the brother-in-law of jailed gangster-politician Mohammad Shahabuddin at his residence in the state capital, the police said on Saturday.
Annoyed over the dragging of a land acquisition case in Bihar for over a decade, the Supreme Court on Friday blamed the state government for taking it for a ride and said the Chief Minister should be given the best advise.
Describing Chief Minister Nitish Kumar's poll campaign theme 'Har Ghar Dastak' as a gimmick, the BJP on Friday questioned the JD-U's source of funds for the election campaign and claimed that the state government was intimidating corporates for the purpose.
An elderly couple was killed by neighbours suspicion of practising witchcraft in a village in Bihar on Friday, police said.
An elderly couple was shot dead allegedly by distant relatives in a village under Bousi police station in Banka district, a police officer said on Friday.
Banking on catchy tunes and exuberant lyrics, JD(U) on Thursday released its campaign song 'Bihar mein bahaar ho, Nitishe Kumar ho' (Let there be prosperity in Bihar, let there be only Nitish Kumar) for the forthcoming Assembly elections in the state.
CPI on Thursday criticised the recent ban imposed by the BJP governments in Maharashtra and Haryana on beef saying "they have no business to enter into kitchen."
The BJP on Thursday flayed Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar for laying emphasis on improving health services and tourism two months away from Assembly election when these two sectors were neglected during his stewardship.
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Fast N Facts @7:30 pm
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Waterlogging, traffic jams in Delhi after rains
- What is the truth behind Journalist Akshay Singh's death?
- Vyapam scam: CBI probe only if courts intervene, says Rajnath Singh
- Arvind Kejriwal wants referendum on statehood for Delhi
- The mystery behind the deaths of Vyapam Scam continues- Part II
- ED issues summons to Lalit Modi in money laundering case
- Uddhav Thakeray hits out at BJP, says corruption visible everywhere
- SC allows child's guardianship without father's consent to unwed mother
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- OROP protest stays, meeting with Parrikar likely
- Vyapam scam: Only courts can order CBI probe, says Rajnath Singh
- Dalai Lama birthday celebrations draw support, protests in US
- Bombs at mosque, restaurant in central Nigerian city kill 51
- Vyapam scam: Vijayvargiya stokes controversy, says “Is a journalist bigger than me?"
- Pallavi Joshi resigns from FTII, lends support to students
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends
- Unwed mother can apply for child's guardianship without father's consent: SC