In what could spell trouble for the grand alliance in Bihar elections, former chief minister Lalu Prasad has refused to share the stage with Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi at a rally and efforts were on to make him attend it.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Monday managed to seal a seat-sharing deal with HAM chief and former chief minister Jitan Ram Manjhi and decided to contest the crucial assembly polls in Bihar together under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has apparently placated former chief minister Jitan Ram Manjhi, who on Monday confirmed that “everything is sorted”.
Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad Yadav is expected to skip Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's September 19 rally in Champaran district, where other top leaders including Bihar Chief Minister, of the grand alliance are likely to be present, reports on Monday said.
In a late night development BJP and former chief minister Jitan Ram Manjhi were learnt to have clinched a seat sharing agreement for the Bihar Assembly polls with a HAM(S) leader claiming the saffron party has agreed to allot about 20 seats to it.
NDA's Bihar allies have failed to clinch a seat-sharing deal till late Sunday evening with Mahadalit leader and former chief minister Jitan Ram Manjhi playing hardball, demanding more seats than what has been offered by the alliance spearhead BJP.
Former Bihar chief minister Jitan Ram Manjhi's son Praveen Manjhi was granted bail on Sunday hours after he was detained with Rs 4.65 lakh in a pre-election crackdown on use of illegal money during the upcoming Assembly polls in the state.
NDA's Bihar allies have failed to clinch a seat-sharing deal till late evening with Mahadalit leader and former chief minister Jitan Ram Manjhi playing hardball, demanding more seats than what has been offered by the alliance spearhead BJP.
Bharatiya Janata Party Amit Shah will on Monday hold a meeting of the Bihar BJP core group to finalise the nmaes of the candidates for the upcoming state Assembly polls, as per news reports.
Invoking Dalit icons BR Ambedkar and Jagjivan Ram, Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi will kick off his election campaign in Bihar with rally on September 19 where other top leaders of the grand alliance are likely to be present.
Congress leader V. Hanumantha Rao on Sunday lashed out at All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) chief Asaduddin Owaisi over his decision to contest the Bihar Assembly polls, saying that he would divide the Muslim votes and help the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in the electoral battle.
Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister Venkaiah Naidu on Sunday expressed confidence in the NDA Government`s chances ahead of the Bihar polls saying that the people of Bihar have already made up their mind to vote for development in the state.
Congress on Sunday took potshots at All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) chief Asaduddin Owaisi over his decision to contest polls in Bihar saying he will expand the boundaries of the BJP but not his own.
As negotiations among NDA partners continues for Bihar polls, former Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi on Sunday played down differences with the BJP over the number of seats offered to him saying he was "not upset".
Taking a jibe at the ongoing tussle in the NDA fold over seat-sharing for the Bihar Assembly polls, the Janata Dal (United) on Sunday alleged that Hindustani Awam Morcha (HAM) chief Jitan Ram Manjhi has lost his sheen and would be thrown in the dustbin by the BJP after the elections."Manjhi has lost his sheen.
In a major embarrassment for ex-Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi ahead of Bihar polls, his son Praveen Kumar was today detained by the police after he was allegedly found carrying Rs 4.65 lakh in cash in a car.
The much expected announcement of a seat-sharing arrangement among NDA allies for the upcoming Bihar Assembly polls may be made on Sunday.
The people of Bihar will "defeat" the "arrogant" Chief Minister Nitish Kumar for allying with "condemned" parties like the RJD and Congress in the ensuing state Assembly elections, Union Minister of State for Finance Jayant Sinha on Saturday said.
The much expected announcement of a seat-sharing arrangement among NDA allies for the Bihar assembly polls could not be made on Saturday due to Hindustan Awam Morcha leader Jitan Ram Manjhi`s demand for more seats, sources said.
BJP on Saturday claimed that the entry of Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM into Bihar will make no difference to its poll prospects as his attempt to create a "fear factor" among the minority community will not work in the state.
Acting on the order of Election Commission, the Bihar government today issued notification making senior IAS officer Sudhir Kumar Rakesh as Home Secretary in place of Amir Subhani and also appointed nine new District Magistrates and Superintendents of Police.
Ahead of the upcoming Bihar Assembly polls, former state chief minister Jitan Ram Manjhi met Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Amit Shah on Saturday over discusions related to the seat-sharing formula between NDA and its allies and said that a formal announcement is likely to be made tomorrow.
Ahead of the upcoming Bihar polls, parties preparing for elections on Saturday said AIMIM president Asaduddin Owaisi`s announcement of his party jumping into the fray is not going to affect anyone`s poll prospects.
All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) on Saturday said it will contest the upcoming Bihar State Assembly elections from Seemanchal region.
After the exit of NCP and Samajwadi Party from the grand secular alliance, Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) has evinced interest to join hands with anti-BJP front in the Bihar elections.
The AIMIM has decided to contest Bihar Assembly Elections in the state`s Seemanchal region.
The Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) is keen to join the grand alliance of the JD-U, RJD and Congress for the Bihar assembly polls to defeat the BJP-led NDA, former Jharkhand chief minister Hemant Soren said here on Saturday.
All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) Saturday said it will contest the upcoming Bihar State Assembly elections from Seemanchal region.
Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) MP Rama Singh on Saturday expressed his unhappiness on being sidelined on the issue of seat sharing among the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) parties for the upcoming Bihar Assembly polls.
The National Democratic Alliance (NDA) is reported to have reached an understanding on Saturday over distribution of seats for the Bihar Assembly Elections.
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Ghazal maestro Ghulam Ali's concert canceled following threats from Shiv Sena
- Bihar polls: PM Modi addresses rally in Munger
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Thousands stuck in major jam on China's 50-lane expressway
- Dadri lynching was a pre-planned conspiracy: Mulayam Singh
- Indian Air Force celebrates 83rd foundation day
- Compulsion to be Hindu in order to attend Garba festival?
- DNA: Analysis of how Arvind Kejriwal used the Dadri incident in his favour
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Ghulam Ali 'very hurt' with Mumbai concert cancellation, gets Delhi govt's invite for show
- Bizarre! Saudi man sexually assaults maid, wife faces jail
- 'If Rashid holds 1000 beef parties, we will thrash him thousand times'
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- US in talks with Pakistan on limiting its nuclear weapons: Report
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics
- India vs South Africa: Three players MS Dhoni should include for 3rd T20I