A forum supporting Konkani and Marathi as medium of instruction in elementary education on Tuesday announced statewide protest from Friday against Goa government's decision to continue giving grants to English medium schools.
Goa DGP TN Mohan on Tuesday ruled out any fresh arrests in the Louis Berger bribery case being probed by Crime Branch, in the backdrop of a speculation that former chief minister Digambar Kamat and ex-minister Churchill Alemao could be taken into custody.
Expressing concern over increasing number of people from Goa surrendering their Indian passports to opt for Portuguese citizenship, Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar on Tuesday said that the state government was pursuing the issue with the External Affairs Ministry.
Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) on Tuesday requested Goa Governor Mridula Sinha not to grant pardon to state legislator Francisco Miccky Pacheco, who is serving a six-month jail term for slapping a government employee.
Former Goa chief minister Digambar Kamat is being questioned by the state's crime branch in connection with the US firm Louis Berger bribery case.
Former Louis Berger Vice-President Satyakam Mohanty was on Monday arrested in connection with the pay-off scandal involving the New Jersey-based consultancy firm that is charged with bribing Indian officials to win two major water developmental projects in Goa and Guwahati, police said.
Noisy scenes were witnessed in the Goa Legislative Assembly on Monday after Opposition members alleged that trees were being illegally felled by promoter of an upcoming golf course project in Pernem taluka and demanded formation of a House Committee to study the matter.
The Goa government is in the process of starting a Global School of Tourism and School of Strategic and Security Studies in association with the Goa University, chief minister Laxmikant Parsekar told the state assembly on Monday.
Terming the Louis Berger bribery case as just the "tip of the iceberg", Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has said the Centre will extend all possible assistance to expose the "scams" during Congress rule in Goa.
Less than fifty per cent of the Anganwadi Centers (AWCs) in the country have toilets, according to Women and Child Development Ministry.
Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has promised assistance from the central government to help nail scams of the erstwhile Congress-led coalition government in Goa.
Shedding new light on the manner in which money for bribes was requisitioned in the Louis Berger case, Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar said that a code word related to engineering was used as a camouflage for bribery demands.
Taking a strong objection to the Goa Government's resolution granting pardon to jailed MLA Francisco 'Miccky' Pacheco, Opposition Congress on Saturday demanded that similar clemency be extended to other prisoners languishing in jails.
Congress on Saturday stood by former Chief Minister Digambar Kamat in connection with the Louis Berger bribery case, saying there is no question of his involvement the scam.
Pardoning a convicted lawmaker`s prison sentence for assaulting a government servant may embolden elected representatives to assault government servants in the future, the Goa Government Employees Association (GGEA) has said.
Goa Speaker Rajendra Arlekar today said that if Governor Mridula Sinha approves the state cabinet's decision to pardon imprisoned Goa Vikas Party legislator Fransisco Miccky Pacheco then he will be allowed to participate in the proceedings in the ongoing session.
Assaulting a government servant is a "minor offence", Goa`s deputy chief minister Francis D`Souza said on Friday, while justifying the adoption of a resolution by the state cabinet to "pardon" legislator Francisco Pacheco, sentenced to six months in jail for assault.
Several parents in Goa Friday blocked the main roads and bridges across the state and allegedly pelted some buses with stones while demanding English to be made the medium of instruction and government grants for every academic year.
The Goa Cabinet has moved a resolution granting pardon to jailed Nuvem MLA Francisco Miccky Pacheco, who was sentenced to six months' imprisonment for slapping a government servant in 2006.
Congress MLA Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco was marshalled out from the Goa Legislative Assembly today for creating ruckus by ignoring Speaker's plea to observe restraint.
A Nepalese national was on Thursday arrested by the Goa Police for allegedly making a hoax call about terrorists having "entered the state".
The Goa Government on Thursday said it was not in favour of scrapping the controversial Regional Plan 2021 though it is willing to make genuine corrections in the blueprint.
Nearly 28 years after its first edition, Goa's lone Konkani daily 'Sunaparant' is heading for a closure from next month, with the management attributing the decision to escalating cost of bringing out the newspaper.
Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar on Wednesday said those involved in the US firm Louis Berger bribery scandal will not get any pardon from his government.
The Goa Lokayukta's post is lying vacant because of the lack of a suitable candidate, Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar said on Wednesday.
The Goa government has earmarked Rs 1.58 crore this year to preserve marine wealth including fisheries from mechanised trawling during the annual fishing ban.
Even as former Goa chief minister Digambar Kamat is to be questioned on Wednesday by Crime Branch in connection with the Louis Berger bribery case, Congress on Wednesday sought to know the details about the "JICA case" which is currently in the news.
Goa government has decided to provide financial assistance to those village panchayats in the state that witnessed a drop in their revenues due to closure of mining industry around three years back.
Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar on Wednesday said the state has been borrowing within the limits as against the picture projected by the Opposition that the government is heading towards a big debt trap.
Former Goa PWD minister Churchill Alemao Wednesday appeared before the Crime Branch again in connection with Louis Berger bribery case, a day after the sleuths questioned him for over seven hours.
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- DNA: How to identify fake currency notes!
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- IAS Officer becomes victim of sexual harassment, posts her tale on FB
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- Shravan - The month of Lord Shiva
- The mayhem of cyclone Komen
- Speaker suspends 25 Congress MPs for 5 days from Lok Sabha
- Vyapam scam has destroyed future of young people in MP: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Floods create havoc in different parts of India
- AAP leader Somnath Bharti provokes anger for sexist comment
- Panel discussion: Speaker suspends 25 Congress MPs for unruly behaviour- Part II
- Three-storey building collapses in Thane, at least 4 dead
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?
- Govt blocks over 800 porn websites – complete list
- Govt reviews porn ban order, blocks only child pornography-related websites
- Yakub Memon's last words before he was hanged - 'I pardon you'
- This is how Dr APJ Abdul Kalam looked when he was a kid!
- Porn banned, will sex be banned next?
- Can you eat rice like a South Indian? - Watch
- 'Idiots are lined up at every step': Young IAS officer's fight against sexual harassment
- Indian government, NSCN(IM) sign 'historic' Naga peace accord
- Delhi Police's new weapon – Taser guns
- Wanted: Pakistani 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' to unite Indian girl with her family
- Power struggle in Taliban, Mullah Omar's son killed in Pakistan?