Taking a strong objection to the Goa Government's resolution granting pardon to jailed MLA Francisco 'Miccky' Pacheco, Opposition Congress on Saturday demanded that similar clemency be extended to other prisoners languishing in jails.
Congress on Saturday stood by former Chief Minister Digambar Kamat in connection with the Louis Berger bribery case, saying there is no question of his involvement the scam.
Pardoning a convicted lawmaker`s prison sentence for assaulting a government servant may embolden elected representatives to assault government servants in the future, the Goa Government Employees Association (GGEA) has said.
Goa Speaker Rajendra Arlekar today said that if Governor Mridula Sinha approves the state cabinet's decision to pardon imprisoned Goa Vikas Party legislator Fransisco Miccky Pacheco then he will be allowed to participate in the proceedings in the ongoing session.
Assaulting a government servant is a "minor offence", Goa`s deputy chief minister Francis D`Souza said on Friday, while justifying the adoption of a resolution by the state cabinet to "pardon" legislator Francisco Pacheco, sentenced to six months in jail for assault.
Several parents in Goa Friday blocked the main roads and bridges across the state and allegedly pelted some buses with stones while demanding English to be made the medium of instruction and government grants for every academic year.
The Goa Cabinet has moved a resolution granting pardon to jailed Nuvem MLA Francisco Miccky Pacheco, who was sentenced to six months' imprisonment for slapping a government servant in 2006.
Congress MLA Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco was marshalled out from the Goa Legislative Assembly today for creating ruckus by ignoring Speaker's plea to observe restraint.
A Nepalese national was on Thursday arrested by the Goa Police for allegedly making a hoax call about terrorists having "entered the state".
The Goa Government on Thursday said it was not in favour of scrapping the controversial Regional Plan 2021 though it is willing to make genuine corrections in the blueprint.
Nearly 28 years after its first edition, Goa's lone Konkani daily 'Sunaparant' is heading for a closure from next month, with the management attributing the decision to escalating cost of bringing out the newspaper.
Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar on Wednesday said those involved in the US firm Louis Berger bribery scandal will not get any pardon from his government.
The Goa Lokayukta's post is lying vacant because of the lack of a suitable candidate, Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar said on Wednesday.
The Goa government has earmarked Rs 1.58 crore this year to preserve marine wealth including fisheries from mechanised trawling during the annual fishing ban.
Even as former Goa chief minister Digambar Kamat is to be questioned on Wednesday by Crime Branch in connection with the Louis Berger bribery case, Congress on Wednesday sought to know the details about the "JICA case" which is currently in the news.
Goa government has decided to provide financial assistance to those village panchayats in the state that witnessed a drop in their revenues due to closure of mining industry around three years back.
Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar on Wednesday said the state has been borrowing within the limits as against the picture projected by the Opposition that the government is heading towards a big debt trap.
Former Goa PWD minister Churchill Alemao Wednesday appeared before the Crime Branch again in connection with Louis Berger bribery case, a day after the sleuths questioned him for over seven hours.
Mining may resume in Goa in October after a gap of nearly three years, Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar told the legislative assembly on Wednesday.
Former Goa chief minister Digambar Kamat on Wednesday appeared before the state police crime branch in connection with the Louis Berger bribery case.
Former Goa chief minister Digamber Kamat would appear before the crime branch today in connection with Louis Berger bribery case.
Former Public Works Department minister Churchill Alemao on Tuesday appeared before the Goa Police crime branch in connection with the Louis Berger bribery case.
Goa Legislative Assembly on Tuesday paid rich tributes to former President APJ Abdul Kalam and the House was adjourned after adopting a condolence motion.
Former Goa Public Works Minister Churchill Alemao today appeared before Crime branch sleuths here for questioning in connection with the bribery case involving US management consultancy firm Louis Berger.
Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar on Monday agreed to ruling legislators` demand for ensuring a CBI probe into the Louis Berger international bribery scam.
Lauding the US judiciary for its ruling on the Louis Berger international bribery scam, Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar on Monday asked the Indian judiciary to "incorporate" such an approach.
Ruling coalition members in Goa Assembly on Monday targeted opposition Congress over the Louis Berger bribery scam, which allegedly involves a former minister of the party.
BJP MLA Michael Lobo on Monday demanded that imprisoned Goa Vikas Party (GVP) legislator Fransisco Miccky Pacheco should be granted parole by the state government to allow him to participate in the ongoing Legislative Assembly session.
Dramatic scenes were witnessed on the first day of the Goa assembly's monsoon session on Monday with Speaker Rajendra Arlekar ordering marshals to escort opposition MLAs out of the house after they sought resignation of Industries Minister Mahadev Naik for cheating.
A fortnight-long session of Goa Legislative Assembly will start on Monday with the opposition planning to corner the BJP-led government on allegations of financial misdemeanor against the industries minister.
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Vote bank politics on Yakub Memon's death?
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Two of four Indians kidnapped in Libya by ISIS released
- Kanwar Yatra: High alert sounded in western UP after IB alert
- AIB: Save the girl child- stop female foeticide
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Gurdaspur attack: Terrorists trained at Thailand-Myanmar border
- Vote bank politics on Yakub Memon's death? Part-2
- Top Bollywood Breaking news
- Onion prices shoot up to 200 per cent, touch Rs 50/kg
- US woman alleges molestation by cab driver in Delhi
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!
- Rahul Gandhi meets protesting FTII students, says RSS promoting mediocrity
- Yakub Memon hanging: J&K MLA reveals he met Tiger Memon in PoK
- Mira Rajput to sizzle with Shahid Kapoor on ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded’?
- 'I spat in your coffee everyday' – Intern's note to boss goes viral
- Those present at Yakub Memon's funeral are 'potential terrorists': Tripura Governor Tathagata Roy
- Gurdaspur attack: ISI trained terrorists at Thailand-Myanmar border for 10 days
- India, Bangladesh enclave residents get freedom after 68 years
- Drishyam movie review: Ajay, Tabu's thrilling journey!