Pardoning a convicted lawmaker`s prison sentence for assaulting a government servant may embolden elected representatives to assault government servants in the future, the Goa Government Employees Association (GGEA) has said.
Goa Speaker Rajendra Arlekar today said that if Governor Mridula Sinha approves the state cabinet's decision to pardon imprisoned Goa Vikas Party legislator Fransisco Miccky Pacheco then he will be allowed to participate in the proceedings in the ongoing session.
Assaulting a government servant is a "minor offence", Goa`s deputy chief minister Francis D`Souza said on Friday, while justifying the adoption of a resolution by the state cabinet to "pardon" legislator Francisco Pacheco, sentenced to six months in jail for assault.
Several parents in Goa Friday blocked the main roads and bridges across the state and allegedly pelted some buses with stones while demanding English to be made the medium of instruction and government grants for every academic year.
The Goa Cabinet has moved a resolution granting pardon to jailed Nuvem MLA Francisco Miccky Pacheco, who was sentenced to six months' imprisonment for slapping a government servant in 2006.
Congress MLA Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco was marshalled out from the Goa Legislative Assembly today for creating ruckus by ignoring Speaker's plea to observe restraint.
A Nepalese national was on Thursday arrested by the Goa Police for allegedly making a hoax call about terrorists having "entered the state".
The Goa Government on Thursday said it was not in favour of scrapping the controversial Regional Plan 2021 though it is willing to make genuine corrections in the blueprint.
Nearly 28 years after its first edition, Goa's lone Konkani daily 'Sunaparant' is heading for a closure from next month, with the management attributing the decision to escalating cost of bringing out the newspaper.
Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar on Wednesday said those involved in the US firm Louis Berger bribery scandal will not get any pardon from his government.
The Goa Lokayukta's post is lying vacant because of the lack of a suitable candidate, Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar said on Wednesday.
The Goa government has earmarked Rs 1.58 crore this year to preserve marine wealth including fisheries from mechanised trawling during the annual fishing ban.
Even as former Goa chief minister Digambar Kamat is to be questioned on Wednesday by Crime Branch in connection with the Louis Berger bribery case, Congress on Wednesday sought to know the details about the "JICA case" which is currently in the news.
Goa government has decided to provide financial assistance to those village panchayats in the state that witnessed a drop in their revenues due to closure of mining industry around three years back.
Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar on Wednesday said the state has been borrowing within the limits as against the picture projected by the Opposition that the government is heading towards a big debt trap.
Former Goa PWD minister Churchill Alemao Wednesday appeared before the Crime Branch again in connection with Louis Berger bribery case, a day after the sleuths questioned him for over seven hours.
Mining may resume in Goa in October after a gap of nearly three years, Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar told the legislative assembly on Wednesday.
Former Goa chief minister Digambar Kamat on Wednesday appeared before the state police crime branch in connection with the Louis Berger bribery case.
Former Goa chief minister Digamber Kamat would appear before the crime branch today in connection with Louis Berger bribery case.
Former Public Works Department minister Churchill Alemao on Tuesday appeared before the Goa Police crime branch in connection with the Louis Berger bribery case.
Goa Legislative Assembly on Tuesday paid rich tributes to former President APJ Abdul Kalam and the House was adjourned after adopting a condolence motion.
Former Goa Public Works Minister Churchill Alemao today appeared before Crime branch sleuths here for questioning in connection with the bribery case involving US management consultancy firm Louis Berger.
Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar on Monday agreed to ruling legislators` demand for ensuring a CBI probe into the Louis Berger international bribery scam.
Lauding the US judiciary for its ruling on the Louis Berger international bribery scam, Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar on Monday asked the Indian judiciary to "incorporate" such an approach.
Ruling coalition members in Goa Assembly on Monday targeted opposition Congress over the Louis Berger bribery scam, which allegedly involves a former minister of the party.
BJP MLA Michael Lobo on Monday demanded that imprisoned Goa Vikas Party (GVP) legislator Fransisco Miccky Pacheco should be granted parole by the state government to allow him to participate in the ongoing Legislative Assembly session.
Dramatic scenes were witnessed on the first day of the Goa assembly's monsoon session on Monday with Speaker Rajendra Arlekar ordering marshals to escort opposition MLAs out of the house after they sought resignation of Industries Minister Mahadev Naik for cheating.
A fortnight-long session of Goa Legislative Assembly will start on Monday with the opposition planning to corner the BJP-led government on allegations of financial misdemeanor against the industries minister.
Goa government on Saturday suspended project director A Wachasunder who was heading the Water augmentation and sewerage line project which has run into controversy over bribery charges.
Goa`s lone Rajya Sabha MP Shantaram Naik on Saturday accused the defence ministry of trying to "grab" six lakh sq metres of land in a village for setting up a permanent venue for Defence Expo and Aero India shows.
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 1993 blasts convict Yakub Memon to be buried in Mumbai
- Four arrested in Delhi University admission scam
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Nation bids tearful adieu to APJ Abdul Kalam in Rameswaram
- Punjab: Suspicious object found at Gurdaspur bus stand
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- VVIPs pay last respect to former President APJ Abdul Kalam
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Rescue teams roped in as heavy rains lash Rajasthan, Gujarat
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez
- MH370 hunt: Debris 'very likely' from Boeing 777, to be examined in France
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- The story behind Yakub Memon's arrest
- Yakub Memon hanged a day before his daughter turns 21
- Landmark judgement: 14-year-old rape survivor allowed to abort by Supreme Court
- Sonia must clarify why Congress didn't allow discussion on Gurdaspur attack, says Arun Jaitley
- Kissing more dangerous than smoking, can cause cancer
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!
- Top 5 ways to celebrate Guru Purnima!
- Nation bids tearful adieu to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam; PM Modi attends funeral in Rameswaram