All polling booths in Gozaria town of Mehsana district on Sunday wore a deserted look as locals boycotted the district and taluka panchayat elections.
Voting on Sunday began at a slow pace for the second phase of elections to local bodies in Gujarat.
The city police on Thursday opposed the bail applications filed by Patel quota agitation leader Hardik Patel and his two aides, arrested in a case of alleged sedition claiming that the accused may resort to similar unlawful activities if they are released.
Amid the raging controversy over the issue of 'intolerance' in India, Gujarat Lokayukta Justice (retd) D P Buch today said intolerance is a political issue and does not fall under the purview of law.
The Congress on Wednesday moved the State Election Commission seeking immediate withdrawal of commercials on radio and television purportedly by the BJP, which it said is violation of the model code of conduct in force for forthcoming elections to local bodies.
Gujarat's ruling BJP has claimed that members of the Patel community, including those taking part in the quota agitation, were again supporting the party, a claim denied by the opposition and a faction leader.
Patel quota stir leader Hardik Patel's voice samples have matched with the voice in the intercepted calls, an official of Forensic Science Laboratory at Gandhinagar said on Wednesday.
Police resorted to cane charge to disperse hundreds of Patel community members when they tried to go near Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel, who was in the town for an election roadshow on Tuesday.
In October, Surat Police arrested Hardik on the charge of sedition for allegedly advising a fellow activist to kill policemen instead of committing suicide.
On December 30, 2014, Amit Shah got a major relief when a special CBI Court discharged him in the alleged staged shootout case related to Sohrabuddin Sheikh.
Last month, the High Court had sought an affidavit substantiating the charges made in the habeas corpus petition.
To substantiate their claims, Congress issued two official documents of SEC, having total number of voters in Ahmedabad before and after the voting.
The high court bench allowed the petitioner to amend its PIL and kept further hearing in the case for coming Thursday.
Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel on Monday declared there will be no reservations for the Patels in jobs and educational institutions.
e-voting introduced by Gujarat State Election Commission for polling in six municipal corporations held on Sunday, had very few takers as only 806 people voted online out of the total of over 95.9 lakh voters.
Congress called for a thorough probe into the alleged "removal" of voters' names from electoral list.
LK Advani on Sunday lavished praise on Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Though no untoward incident was reported during voting, several voters complained that they were deprived of casting vote as their names did not figure in the list.
Many residential colonies had put up 'No Entry' boards against BJP campaigners while in some areas, Patel agitators exhorted people to exercise their 'None of The Above (NOTA) option on the ballot paper.
The six municipal corporations are -- Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodara, Rajkot, Jamnagar and Bhavnagar.
Sreekumar contends that the Commissions of Enquiry Act, 1952, stipulates that a probe report should be laid before the house of the people.
The Modi government had on March 6, 2002 appointed justices Nanavati and Mehta to look into the February 27 Sabarmati Express train burning.
Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti convener Hardik Patel has appointed a new 'core committee' for OBC quota stir.
Hardik Patel on Tuesday filed a bail application in the Ahmedabad sessions court in connection with a sedition case filed against him.
Patel quota stir leader Hardik Patel on Tuesday filed a bail application in the Ahmedabad sessions court in connection with a sedition case filed against him here last month.
The members of Patel community have been demanding reservation under OBC category.
Congress leader and actor Raj Babbar will campaign for the party in the upcoming civic body polls in Gujarat.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday greeted people on the occasion of the Gujarati New Year.
Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Bhagwat arrived here on Tuesday to attend a five-day workshop of Sangh pracharaks to be held in Mandvi taluka of Kutch starting tomorrow.
Patel leaders have put up banners at the main gates of some 20 housing societies which say "We have imposed section 144 for BJP leaders."
- Watch: Amateur footage of a boy falling from Mumbai local train
- ISI agent arrested by STF in Uttar Pradesh
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Prashant Bhushan ridicules Arvind Kejriwal's Janlokpal
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Syed Ahmed Bukhari takes a jibe at Azam Khan
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- The 'struggle' of Kashimiri Pandits
- Is Arvind Kejriwal deceiving people by diluting the clauses of Jan Lokpal?
- Turkey: Prominent human rights activist killed in attack
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Sunny Leone's 'Baby Doll' in 'Mastizaade'?
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- No protest against Modi, he is our PM: Jamia's media co-ordinator on convocation row
- On the eve of Pakistan match, Sourav Ganguly offered to resign as India captain in 2005
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- I've nothing to do with Shahrukh Khan-Kajol's chemistry in 'Dilwale': Varun Dhawan