The Gujarat High Court on Friday ordered a CID probe in a case of custodial death of a 32-year- old man of Patel community during quota violence after the second post-mortem report stated that he had died due to severe head injury.
The mass appeal of Hardik Patel in Gujarat "does not augur well for the BJP", the Shiv Sena said on Friday, calling him "a hero" who had punctured claims that Gujarat was a peaceful state.
Tension eased across Gujarat as no incident of violence, sparked by Patel community's quota agitation, was reported overnight, while curfew was on Friday lifted in three out of the nine areas of Ahmedabad even as Army continued flag march in some sensitive areas.
Hardik Patel, the leader of the Patel agitation for OBC quota in Gujarat, was poor in academics, said a report on Friday.
In view of agitation and violence in Gujarat, 19453 Gandhidham-Puri Express scheduled to leave Gandhidham and 12844 Ahmedabad-Puri Express scheduled to leave Ahmedabad, have been cancelled from Gandhidham and Ahmedabad respectively.
A local court will conduct an inquiry into police crackdown and alleged atrocities on supporters of Patel quota agitation leader Hardik Patel here on August 25 which left ten people dead.
All the Congress MLAs in the Gujarat Assembly barring Opposition Leader Shankarsinh Vaghela were suspended for a day today as the house witnessed ruckus over the OBC quota agitation by Patels.
A suicide bomber in an explosives-rigged vehicle killed two Iraqi army generals north of the Anbar provincial capital of Ramadi on Thursday, a military spokesman said.
Rahul Gandhi today targeted Prime Minister Narendra Modi over the violence in Gujarat during quota agitation by Patels, saying it was a repercussion of the "politics of anger" pursued by Modi .
Army was called in on Wednesday to help control widespread violence sparked by quota agitation by Patel community in Gujarat which has claimed seven lives even as curfew was clamped in several areas.
North-Western Railways cancelled nine and partially cancelled 12 trains in view of the ongoing Patel agitation in Gujarat, an official said.
Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju on Wednesday said that provisions have been made for miscreants who want to misuse the situation of the Patel community demanding quota in Gujarat.
Senior Congress leader Ahmed Patel on Wednesday appealed to people of Gujarat, which has been witnessing violence since last night, to cooperate in ensuring peace and harmony in the state even as he asked governing agencies to establish law and order at the earliest.
Amid violent protests in Gujarat over OBC quota for Patel community, VHP leader Pravin Togadia on Wednesday appealed to the agitators to stay "calm" and urged the police to "have patience".
22-year-old Hardik Patel, face of the massive Patel community agitation for reservation, has eventually become a talk of the town. This young lad has been moving large crowds in Gujarat for the past two months, posing a challenge to state Chief Minister Anandiben Patel's government.
Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel on Wednesday denied that her government gave orders to police to lathicharge the protesters at a rally in Ahmedabad, which led to violent protests and backlash by the Patel community members demanding reservation.
Opposition Congress on Wednesday alleged that police committed "atrocities" against innocent people while quelling the violence triggered by detention of Patel community leader Hardik Patel as they were given a "free hand" to do so by state government at the behest of Centre.
Extending "full support" to the stir by Patel community in Gujarat demanding OBC status and reservation, Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) president Lalu Prasad on Wednesday hit out at the BJP calling it "anti-backward and anti-social justice".
The agitation for OBC quota to Patels will intensify in the coming days, Hardik Patel who is leading the stir on Wednesday said and blamed the police for the violence.
The Patels have for decades been loyal supporters of the Bharatiya Janata Party, but their recent agitation has now put the economically and socially strong community at loggerheads with the ruling party.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday appealed for peace in Gujarat, adding violence does not benefit anybody.
Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju on Wednesday said he smelt "a rat" in the Patels community agitation in Gujarat, and added that some people are instigating the people of the state to disturb law and order.
Former AAP leader and Swaraj Abhiyan founder Yogendra Yadav on Wednesday condemned the Gujarat Police crackdown on protesting Patels in Ahmedabad and said serious issues like reservation could not be settled through street protests.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Wednesday spoke to Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel regarding the violent incidents of Tuesday night in the state and discussed the current state of things.
About 5,000 paramilitary personnel were on Wednesday rushed to Gujarat in the wake of violence in several cities during agitation for quota by Patel community.
Patel Community protesters demanding OBC reservation on Tuesday set two motorbikes on fire and damgaged public property at Shahibaug area of the city after the release of their leader Hardik Patel.
Hardik Patel, the 22-year-old leader of the Patel community who on Tuesday warned the BJP government in Gujarat that "lotus will not bloom" next time unless their demand for reservations was met, was on Tuesday night briefly detained and later released by police as violence erupted across the city.
The Gujarat government on Tuesday virtually rejected the demand of Hardik Patel and three others that they would end their hunger strike only if Chief Minister Anandiben Patel personally comes to the protest venue, saying it has nothing to do in that regard.
The agitating Patidar community virtually swamped this city in a mammoth rally here on Tuesday to demand caste reservations, with its 22-year-old leader posing a challenge to Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel.
In a mega show of strength to push their demand for inclusion in OBC category for reservation, the Patel community today warned the BJP government in Gujarat that it will face consequences in 2017 Assembly polls if the plea is not accepted, saying the "lotus" will not bloom again.
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder: The story till now
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Mumbai Police admits 'Sheena Vohra murder case is resolved'
- Caught on camera: UP woman assaults paralysed mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Why do the 'affluent' Patel community want reservation?
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Arvind Kejriwal welcomed with slogans of "Kejriwal go back" in Bihar
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- Video of Hizbul Mujahideen militant threatening cops surfaces in Srinagar
- Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was strangled, body burnt with petrol: Mumbai Police chief
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Who is Hardik Patel?
- How Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora's murder mystery unfolded – Read
- Muslims not doing 'enough' to fight Islamic State: Jordan's Queen Rania
- Patel quota row: Army called as Gujarat comes to standstill; 7 killed, dozens injured
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: The unanswered questions