Though the Mota Samadhiyala village in Una taluka is located away from Gir sanctuary, lions are usually spotted in the area.
Goa`s Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar on Wednesday used a Konkani racial slur, "khapri" for an African national, before quickly apologising and later addressing him as a "black person".
In the wake brutal thrashing of Dalits in Una, at least 1,000 people from the community in Banaskantha district have so far expressed their desire to convert to Buddhism, stating that there was not point in continuing with Hinduism, if they are not treated as equals.
Seven Dalits, who were allegedly assaulted by a group of 'gau rakshaks' (cow protection vigilantes) in Rajula town in Gujarat's Amreli in May, have claimed that they could have been burnt alive.
The Gujarat High Court today sentenced seven persons to life imprisonment in a case related to the 2002 post-Godhra riots at Viramgam in the district where three people had been killed.
The incident occurred last evening when sub-inspector NS Patel conducted the raid on a tip-off that a gambling den.
A Pakistani doctor, who has been living in India for the past many years, is accused of molesting a 16-year-old girl patient.
As violent protests continue in the Prime Minister`s home state of Gujarat over the flogging of Dalit youth by upper-caste Hindu vigilantes, an IndiaSpend analysis reveals a conviction rate six times lower than the Indian average -- over 10 years -- for crimes against scheduled castes (SCs) and scheduled tribes (STs).
Police have now launched a manhunt for two persons allegedly involved in killing Bhadani, while security has been tightened.
JD(U) leader Sharad Yadav, CPI's D Raja and CPI(M) Lok Sabha member P K Biju would reach Una tomorrow and meet the family members of the youths who were allegedly beaten up by a group of right-wing 'gau rakshaks' (cow vigilantes).
Around 100 tribals from various resettlement sites as well as farmers and other project affected persons from Nimar in MP who have been shifted to Gujarat, are staging a sit-in since last Friday.
So far, more than 20 youths have attempted suicide during the ongoing protest.
Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Thursday travelled to Rajkot in Gujarat to meet the victims of the assault on Dalits by members of a 'gau raksha samiti'.
On July 11, four Dalit youth were severely beaten up in Una town in Saurashtra region of Gujarat for skinning a dead cow, which has caused nationwide outrage after the video went viral.
Gujarat's Chief Secretary GR Aloria has said that the accused who had assaulted Dalit men in Una on July 11 in the name of cow protection had video recorded the incident “for fun and uploaded it as a show of bravado”.
The AAP chief is expected to meet the Dalit youths who were openly thrashed by a group of right-wing members for skinning a dead cow.
Hardik Patel is at present staying at the residence of former Congress MLA Pushkar Dangi in Srinath colony.
Gujarat continued to simmer for a third consecutive day today as protests against brutal thrashing of Dalit youths, allegedly by some self-styled cow vigilantes, flared up.
Ahead of his visit to Una to meet Dalits who were thrashed brutally for skinning a dead cow, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) convener Arvind Kejriwal on Thursday exhorted all community members to unite in the fight against Gujarat BJP's oppressive regime.
The state has witnessed huge protests after seven Dalit youths were severely beaten up in Mota Samadhilya village of Gir-Somnath district last week.
A fact-finding team which visited Gujarat's Una town in connection with the brutal assault of Dalits, has claimed to have found a new trend among 'cow vigilantes' to show bravado by making a particular Dalit community as their "soft target".
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi will visit the violence-hit Una on Thursday as the ongoing protests over the brutal assault on some Dalits in this Gujarat town worsened with seven more youths attempting suicide yesterday.
The issue of Dalit unrest in Gujarat rocked Parliament on Wednesday as opposition members accused the government of being anti-Dalit.
Protesters from the low-caste Dalit community blocked roads and attacked government buses in Prime Minister Narendra Modi's home state of Gujarat on Wednesday in a third day of demonstrations over the flogging of four men accused of skinning a cow.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Wednesday issued a statement in the Lok Sabha on the Una incident and instead of mollifying the opposition, caused further uproar.
Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal will soon visit Una town in Gujarat where some Dalit youths were brutally thrashed last week for allegedly killing a cow.
A policeman was killed in mob violence and a Dalit committed suicide on Tuesday as protests against last week's thrashing of four youth in Una town snowballed across Saurashtra region of Gujarat on Tuesday.
Five more Dalit persons allegedly tried to commit suicide in two separate incidents in Gujarat as widespread protests against last week's thrashing of four boys of the community in Una town continued for the second day in Saurashtra region.
In wake of a Dalit family being assaulted for allegedly skinning a dead cow in the Gir Somnath district, Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel has ordered a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe in the matter.
- Why is Sidhu evasive about joining AAP?
- Why is Sidhu evasive about joining AAP?- Part-II
- Why is Sidhu evasive about joining AAP?- Part III
- Why is Sidhu evasive about joining AAP?- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region- Part II
- DNA: Court acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching case
- DNA: Today in History, 26th June 2016
- Nation pays tribute to brave Indian soldiers on 17th 'Kargil Vijay Diwas'
- India deploys tanks in Ladakh to counter China's military build-up
- Kashmir unrest: Curfew lifted from Srinagar
- Coal scam: Rathi Steel and Power Ltd, 3 officials convicted
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- VVIP security cover for Nita Ambani
- Over two lakh pilgrims perform Amarnath Yatra, another batch leaves Jammu
- HC sentences 7 to life imprisonment in a post-Godhra riot case
- Srinagar-Muzaffarabad bus service resumes
- 2nd Test, Day 3: England bounce back to level series 1-1 with massive 330-run win over Pakistan
- Lok Sabha passes bill providing for opening of 6 new IITs
- NIA files chargesheet in Bangalore Church Street blast case
- Story of courage! Chennai man risks life to save a woman from being raped
- This SCARY video will give you goosebumps: Ghost follows man into taxi - WATCH
- Withdraw MPIC land pooling notification, demand YSRC, Left
- Sheena Bora murder case: Khanna wasn't present during crime, his alibi, lawyers say
- Dengue cases jump to 90 in Delhi, 40 cases last week
- UNBELIEVABLE! Cristiano Ronaldo to have an international airport named after him
- Islamic State group claims second German attack in a week
- Former Apple executive is back to lead company's car project