After the Gujarat High ordered a CID probe, nine policemen including two inspectors and a sub-inspector have been booked for the alleged custodial death of a 32-year-old man detained during Patel quota agitation.
Normalcy is gradually returning to Gujarat where authorities on Saturday lifted curfew from all affected parts of the state as no major incident of violence was reported for two days after the Patel quota agitation turned violent early this week.
Hardik Patel, the man who led mass agitation in Gujarat demanding quotas for the Patel community, is smitten by none other than Raj Thackeray.
The CPI on Friday said the remarks made by Patel leaders that their community be given OBC status or quotas offered to others be cancelled, attacks the principle of reservation and can lead to war between castes.
Hardik Patel, who has galvanised the dominant Patel community in Gujarat on the reservation demand, says his sole objective is the inclusion of Patel community in the OBC category and not the abolition of the quota system but ruled out negotiations on the issue.
The Gujarat High Court on Friday ordered a CID probe in a case of custodial death of a 32-year- old man of Patel community during quota violence after the second post-mortem report stated that he had died due to severe head injury.
The mass appeal of Hardik Patel in Gujarat "does not augur well for the BJP", the Shiv Sena said on Friday, calling him "a hero" who had punctured claims that Gujarat was a peaceful state.
Tension eased across Gujarat as no incident of violence, sparked by Patel community's quota agitation, was reported overnight, while curfew was on Friday lifted in three out of the nine areas of Ahmedabad even as Army continued flag march in some sensitive areas.
Hardik Patel, the leader of the Patel agitation for OBC quota in Gujarat, was poor in academics, said a report on Friday.
In view of agitation and violence in Gujarat, 19453 Gandhidham-Puri Express scheduled to leave Gandhidham and 12844 Ahmedabad-Puri Express scheduled to leave Ahmedabad, have been cancelled from Gandhidham and Ahmedabad respectively.
A local court will conduct an inquiry into police crackdown and alleged atrocities on supporters of Patel quota agitation leader Hardik Patel here on August 25 which left ten people dead.
All the Congress MLAs in the Gujarat Assembly barring Opposition Leader Shankarsinh Vaghela were suspended for a day today as the house witnessed ruckus over the OBC quota agitation by Patels.
A suicide bomber in an explosives-rigged vehicle killed two Iraqi army generals north of the Anbar provincial capital of Ramadi on Thursday, a military spokesman said.
Rahul Gandhi today targeted Prime Minister Narendra Modi over the violence in Gujarat during quota agitation by Patels, saying it was a repercussion of the "politics of anger" pursued by Modi .
Army was called in on Wednesday to help control widespread violence sparked by quota agitation by Patel community in Gujarat which has claimed seven lives even as curfew was clamped in several areas.
North-Western Railways cancelled nine and partially cancelled 12 trains in view of the ongoing Patel agitation in Gujarat, an official said.
Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju on Wednesday said that provisions have been made for miscreants who want to misuse the situation of the Patel community demanding quota in Gujarat.
Senior Congress leader Ahmed Patel on Wednesday appealed to people of Gujarat, which has been witnessing violence since last night, to cooperate in ensuring peace and harmony in the state even as he asked governing agencies to establish law and order at the earliest.
Amid violent protests in Gujarat over OBC quota for Patel community, VHP leader Pravin Togadia on Wednesday appealed to the agitators to stay "calm" and urged the police to "have patience".
22-year-old Hardik Patel, face of the massive Patel community agitation for reservation, has eventually become a talk of the town. This young lad has been moving large crowds in Gujarat for the past two months, posing a challenge to state Chief Minister Anandiben Patel's government.
Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel on Wednesday denied that her government gave orders to police to lathicharge the protesters at a rally in Ahmedabad, which led to violent protests and backlash by the Patel community members demanding reservation.
Opposition Congress on Wednesday alleged that police committed "atrocities" against innocent people while quelling the violence triggered by detention of Patel community leader Hardik Patel as they were given a "free hand" to do so by state government at the behest of Centre.
Extending "full support" to the stir by Patel community in Gujarat demanding OBC status and reservation, Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) president Lalu Prasad on Wednesday hit out at the BJP calling it "anti-backward and anti-social justice".
The agitation for OBC quota to Patels will intensify in the coming days, Hardik Patel who is leading the stir on Wednesday said and blamed the police for the violence.
The Patels have for decades been loyal supporters of the Bharatiya Janata Party, but their recent agitation has now put the economically and socially strong community at loggerheads with the ruling party.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday appealed for peace in Gujarat, adding violence does not benefit anybody.
Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju on Wednesday said he smelt "a rat" in the Patels community agitation in Gujarat, and added that some people are instigating the people of the state to disturb law and order.
Former AAP leader and Swaraj Abhiyan founder Yogendra Yadav on Wednesday condemned the Gujarat Police crackdown on protesting Patels in Ahmedabad and said serious issues like reservation could not be settled through street protests.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Wednesday spoke to Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel regarding the violent incidents of Tuesday night in the state and discussed the current state of things.
About 5,000 paramilitary personnel were on Wednesday rushed to Gujarat in the wake of violence in several cities during agitation for quota by Patel community.
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Bewildering events of Indrani Mukherjea's life!
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Top Bollywood Breaking News
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder-Part 2
- Ever growing mystery of Sheena Bora murder case!-Part 2
- Government releases list of 98 SmartCity; 13 cities of UP featured
- IPS officer stopped investigation of Sheena Bora murder in 2012
- Ever growing mystery of Sheena Bora murder case!
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Picture released! Pakistani terrorist caught by Indian Army in J&K operation
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket
- Rain plays spoilsport, India at 50/2 on Day 1 of 3rd Test against Sri Lanka
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea kill Sheena Bora? Mumbai Police likely to reveal motive today
- Pakistan resorts to heavy shelling in Jammu; 3 civilians killed, 16 injured
- Sheena Bora and Mikhail had different fathers?
- US wants China to follow Indian developmental efforts in Afghanistan
- Phantom movie review: Watch it for Saif Ali Khan!
- Man shocked to find Brendan Taylor sleeping off hangover in back of his car!