The Gujarat High Court on Monday granted interim bail to Rakesh Kothari, an accused in the Rs 5,395 crore hawala scam, while admitting his plea to set aside legal proceedings against him.
Heavy rains followed by floods in Banaskantha and Patan districts in north Gujarat last week have claimed over 16,000 cattle.
Heavy rains triggered by cyclone Komen wreaked havoc in several states including Odisha, West Bengal and Gujarat claiming at least 100 lives, causing floods and displacing lakhs of people.
The death toll due to heavy rainfall in Gujarat has risen to 53.
A teenager was allegedly gang-raped by four boys at a city hotel, police said on Saturday.
Lakhs of people have been affected after heavy rains lashed West Bengal and Odisha due to a depression over Bay of Bengal caused by cyclone Komen on Saturday while flood like situation in Rajasthan and Gujarat have thrown normal life out of gear.
Three persons including a girl were killed and six others sustained injuries on Friday when a used artillery shell exploded at Mota Dinara village of Khavda tehsil in Kutch district of Gujarat, officials said.
The death toll due to heavy rains earlier this week which created a flood-like situation in north Gujarat and Kutch has reached 40, including 14 deaths in the worst-affected Banaskantha district.
Doctors on Friday started the medical procedure to abort a 25-week pregnancy of a minor rape victim after Supreme Court intervened in the girl's favour, in what might be a first of its kind case in the Indian medico-legal history.
Cyclonic storm 'Komen' hit the Bangladesh coast on Thursday evening, triggering heavy rainfall in Gangetic West Bengal and Odisha, according to reports on Friday.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi today approved the appointment of office bearers in Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC) ahead of the local body polls in the state.
More than 1,500 people, including 500 people from the city, were evacuated to safer locations due to sudden floods in the Sabarmati river after water was released from the Dharoi dam, officials said here on Thursday.
Due to heavy rains in the catchment area and inflow of water from rivers in Madhya Pradesh the water level of Sardar Sarovar dam on Narmada river has reached 121.92 metres, a senior official said today.
More than 700 NDRF personnel, 3 helicopters and 30 boats have been deployed for rescue and relief operations in Gujarat and Rajasthan where incessant rains have claimed 22 lives.
Flood-like situation prevailed in parts of Gujarat due to incessant rains, with Banaskantha in the north emerging as the worst-affected district, where Army as well as NDRF teams and IAF helicopters have been roped in for relief and rescue operations.
Flash floods triggered by torrential monsoon rain have killed at least 26 people in a west Indian state in the past 48 hours, authorities said Wednesday.
Incessant rains caused by a deep depression lashed northern and Kutch regions of Gujarat, causing death of 22 persons in various rain-related incidents and throwing life out gear, officials said here on Tuesday.
The Gujarat High court on Tuesday began final hearing on appeals in the Naroda Patiya riot case, in which 97 people, mostly from minority community, were killed in 2002.
The Gujarat High Court on Monday adjourned till August 4 hearing on a plea filed by 2002 riots victim Zakia Jafri against a lower court's clean chit to then Chief Minister Narendra Modi and 58 others in connection with a 2002 riots case.
Gujarat will witness heavy to very heavy rains in various places across the state during the next three days, said a warning issued by the Meteorological Centre here on Sunday.
Leaders of the Patel community on Sunday announced that they will organise public rallies in major districts of Gujarat to demand Other Backward Class (OBC) status and benefits of reservation under it in government jobs.
Police on Friday detained a Pakistani youth who was found in a mosque in Bhuj town of Kutch district of Gujarat.
Hussain Suleman Mohan, an accused in the 2002 Sabarmati Express train burning incident, was working as an auto driver when he was arrested from Jhabua in Madhya Pradesh by the Godhra Local Crime Branch (LCB).
The Gujarat government on Thursday upgraded the security of former judge Jyotsna Yagnik, who presided over Naroda-Patiya riot case trial, from 'Y' to 'Z' category.
Two accused in the 2002 Gulberg Society riot case on Thursday filed an application before the special trial court here, seeking to undergo narco-analysis and brain-mapping tests to prove their innocence.
The Gujarat High Court on Thursday dismissed a petition filed by the father of a 14-year-old rape victim seeking permission for termination of her pregnancy.
Facing closure notice, activist Teesta Setalvad's two NGOs - Citizens for Justice and Peace and Sabrang Trust - have conveyed to the Home Ministry that they have done no financial irregularities and no foreign contribution was misused by any of its office bearer.
Gujarat police has opposed in the Supreme Court the anticipatory bail plea of Teesta Setalvad, saying the social activist and her husband “misappropriated” funds meant for charity for personal expenses ranging from wine, earbuds to expensive mobile phone besides tampering with evidence.
Activists from Gujarat, including a former Gujarat chief minister, extended their support to Teesta Setalvad and her husband Javed Anand on Wednesday, alleging the recent CBI action against her was an "open misuse of power" by the Centre.
The Gujarat High Court has extended 2002 Naroda Patiya riot case convict Babu Bajrangi's bail period by ten days to enable him to undergo medical treatment.
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Asaram Bapu shown as 'saint' in Rajasthan school book
- Landslide hits Manipur after heavy rain
- Poster war breaks out between BJP, AAP
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- 15 reports from 15 cities
- Shravan - The month of Lord Shiva
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- The mayhem of cyclone Komen
- Poster war breaks out between BJP, AAP-Part 2
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Parliament deadlock: BJP says blame Sonia if Monsoon Session washed out, calls Congress 'confused'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Porn banned in India? RGV criticises the move
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Pak releases 163 Indian fishermen
- Parliament logjam: BJP, Congress spar bitterly ahead of all-party meet on Monday
- Don't lose the first Test of an away series: Sunil Gavaskar
- Zee Media Exclusive – Dr Abdul Kalam wanted to be remembered as a teacher, says his close aide
- Mumbai Cricket Association lifts Shah Rukh Khan's Wankhede ban