The agitation for quotas for Patels in government jobs and educational institutions will be expanded to other states and include castes like Kurmis and Gujjars, Hardik Patel, who led the stir that plunged Gujarat into violence said on Sunday.
A 55-year-old woman was allegedly killed by her two nephews, who suspected that she practised witchcraft, at a village in neighbouring Chhota Udaipur district, police said on Sunday.
Amid tight security, the funeral of a 32-year-old man from Patel community, who allegedly died in custody after being caught by police during the quota violence, was held here on Sunday.
Patel agitation leader Hardik Patel should behave like Shiv Sena icon Bal Thackeray if he really considers the latter to be his role model, Sena president Uddhav Thackeray said here on Saturday.
After the Gujarat High ordered a CID probe, nine policemen including two inspectors and a sub-inspector have been booked for the alleged custodial death of a 32-year-old man detained during Patel quota agitation.
Normalcy is gradually returning to Gujarat where authorities on Saturday lifted curfew from all affected parts of the state as no major incident of violence was reported for two days after the Patel quota agitation turned violent early this week.
Hardik Patel, the man who led mass agitation in Gujarat demanding quotas for the Patel community, is smitten by none other than Raj Thackeray.
The CPI on Friday said the remarks made by Patel leaders that their community be given OBC status or quotas offered to others be cancelled, attacks the principle of reservation and can lead to war between castes.
Hardik Patel, who has galvanised the dominant Patel community in Gujarat on the reservation demand, says his sole objective is the inclusion of Patel community in the OBC category and not the abolition of the quota system but ruled out negotiations on the issue.
The Gujarat High Court on Friday ordered a CID probe in a case of custodial death of a 32-year- old man of Patel community during quota violence after the second post-mortem report stated that he had died due to severe head injury.
The mass appeal of Hardik Patel in Gujarat "does not augur well for the BJP", the Shiv Sena said on Friday, calling him "a hero" who had punctured claims that Gujarat was a peaceful state.
Tension eased across Gujarat as no incident of violence, sparked by Patel community's quota agitation, was reported overnight, while curfew was on Friday lifted in three out of the nine areas of Ahmedabad even as Army continued flag march in some sensitive areas.
Hardik Patel, the leader of the Patel agitation for OBC quota in Gujarat, was poor in academics, said a report on Friday.
In view of agitation and violence in Gujarat, 19453 Gandhidham-Puri Express scheduled to leave Gandhidham and 12844 Ahmedabad-Puri Express scheduled to leave Ahmedabad, have been cancelled from Gandhidham and Ahmedabad respectively.
A local court will conduct an inquiry into police crackdown and alleged atrocities on supporters of Patel quota agitation leader Hardik Patel here on August 25 which left ten people dead.
All the Congress MLAs in the Gujarat Assembly barring Opposition Leader Shankarsinh Vaghela were suspended for a day today as the house witnessed ruckus over the OBC quota agitation by Patels.
A suicide bomber in an explosives-rigged vehicle killed two Iraqi army generals north of the Anbar provincial capital of Ramadi on Thursday, a military spokesman said.
Rahul Gandhi today targeted Prime Minister Narendra Modi over the violence in Gujarat during quota agitation by Patels, saying it was a repercussion of the "politics of anger" pursued by Modi .
Army was called in on Wednesday to help control widespread violence sparked by quota agitation by Patel community in Gujarat which has claimed seven lives even as curfew was clamped in several areas.
North-Western Railways cancelled nine and partially cancelled 12 trains in view of the ongoing Patel agitation in Gujarat, an official said.
Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju on Wednesday said that provisions have been made for miscreants who want to misuse the situation of the Patel community demanding quota in Gujarat.
Senior Congress leader Ahmed Patel on Wednesday appealed to people of Gujarat, which has been witnessing violence since last night, to cooperate in ensuring peace and harmony in the state even as he asked governing agencies to establish law and order at the earliest.
Amid violent protests in Gujarat over OBC quota for Patel community, VHP leader Pravin Togadia on Wednesday appealed to the agitators to stay "calm" and urged the police to "have patience".
22-year-old Hardik Patel, face of the massive Patel community agitation for reservation, has eventually become a talk of the town. This young lad has been moving large crowds in Gujarat for the past two months, posing a challenge to state Chief Minister Anandiben Patel's government.
Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel on Wednesday denied that her government gave orders to police to lathicharge the protesters at a rally in Ahmedabad, which led to violent protests and backlash by the Patel community members demanding reservation.
Opposition Congress on Wednesday alleged that police committed "atrocities" against innocent people while quelling the violence triggered by detention of Patel community leader Hardik Patel as they were given a "free hand" to do so by state government at the behest of Centre.
Extending "full support" to the stir by Patel community in Gujarat demanding OBC status and reservation, Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) president Lalu Prasad on Wednesday hit out at the BJP calling it "anti-backward and anti-social justice".
The agitation for OBC quota to Patels will intensify in the coming days, Hardik Patel who is leading the stir on Wednesday said and blamed the police for the violence.
The Patels have for decades been loyal supporters of the Bharatiya Janata Party, but their recent agitation has now put the economically and socially strong community at loggerheads with the ruling party.
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Centre assures help to Gita Press, Gorakhpur
- Operation Hafiz Saeed: 'Phantom' ban in Pakistan
- 'Delhi Police... One Touch Away' app launched!
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Watch: Top 10 Headlines @7 am
- Gita Press denies reports of shutting down
- Analysing the murder mystery of Sheena Bora case- Part II
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- When drunk driver Shyam Rai revealed all about Sheena Bora murder
- Nashik Kumbh: Poor turnout at first Shahi Snan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Ajay Devgn backs 'Pyaar Ka Punchnama 2'!
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried
- Sheena Bora murder case: Focus now on forensic report of skeletal remains
- Malaysians gather in capital to demand reform, PM`s ouster
- Mumbai Police recovers car used in Sheena's murder; Indrani, Sanjeev, driver to be taken to crime spot in Raigad