The city police on Thursday opposed the bail applications filed by Patel quota agitation leader Hardik Patel and his two aides, arrested in a case of alleged sedition claiming that the accused may resort to similar unlawful activities if they are released.
Amid the raging controversy over the issue of 'intolerance' in India, Gujarat Lokayukta Justice (retd) D P Buch today said intolerance is a political issue and does not fall under the purview of law.
The Congress on Wednesday moved the State Election Commission seeking immediate withdrawal of commercials on radio and television purportedly by the BJP, which it said is violation of the model code of conduct in force for forthcoming elections to local bodies.
Gujarat's ruling BJP has claimed that members of the Patel community, including those taking part in the quota agitation, were again supporting the party, a claim denied by the opposition and a faction leader.
Patel quota stir leader Hardik Patel's voice samples have matched with the voice in the intercepted calls, an official of Forensic Science Laboratory at Gandhinagar said on Wednesday.
Police resorted to cane charge to disperse hundreds of Patel community members when they tried to go near Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel, who was in the town for an election roadshow on Tuesday.
In October, Surat Police arrested Hardik on the charge of sedition for allegedly advising a fellow activist to kill policemen instead of committing suicide.
On December 30, 2014, Amit Shah got a major relief when a special CBI Court discharged him in the alleged staged shootout case related to Sohrabuddin Sheikh.
Last month, the High Court had sought an affidavit substantiating the charges made in the habeas corpus petition.
To substantiate their claims, Congress issued two official documents of SEC, having total number of voters in Ahmedabad before and after the voting.
The high court bench allowed the petitioner to amend its PIL and kept further hearing in the case for coming Thursday.
Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel on Monday declared there will be no reservations for the Patels in jobs and educational institutions.
e-voting introduced by Gujarat State Election Commission for polling in six municipal corporations held on Sunday, had very few takers as only 806 people voted online out of the total of over 95.9 lakh voters.
Congress called for a thorough probe into the alleged "removal" of voters' names from electoral list.
LK Advani on Sunday lavished praise on Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Though no untoward incident was reported during voting, several voters complained that they were deprived of casting vote as their names did not figure in the list.
Many residential colonies had put up 'No Entry' boards against BJP campaigners while in some areas, Patel agitators exhorted people to exercise their 'None of The Above (NOTA) option on the ballot paper.
The six municipal corporations are -- Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodara, Rajkot, Jamnagar and Bhavnagar.
Sreekumar contends that the Commissions of Enquiry Act, 1952, stipulates that a probe report should be laid before the house of the people.
The Modi government had on March 6, 2002 appointed justices Nanavati and Mehta to look into the February 27 Sabarmati Express train burning.
Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti convener Hardik Patel has appointed a new 'core committee' for OBC quota stir.
Hardik Patel on Tuesday filed a bail application in the Ahmedabad sessions court in connection with a sedition case filed against him.
Patel quota stir leader Hardik Patel on Tuesday filed a bail application in the Ahmedabad sessions court in connection with a sedition case filed against him here last month.
The members of Patel community have been demanding reservation under OBC category.
Congress leader and actor Raj Babbar will campaign for the party in the upcoming civic body polls in Gujarat.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday greeted people on the occasion of the Gujarati New Year.
Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Bhagwat arrived here on Tuesday to attend a five-day workshop of Sangh pracharaks to be held in Mandvi taluka of Kutch starting tomorrow.
Patel leaders have put up banners at the main gates of some 20 housing societies which say "We have imposed section 144 for BJP leaders."
Hardik Patel hit the headlines after mobilizing hundreds of thousands of Patel community members seeking quotas in jobs and educational institutions.
The high court also stated that time has come for the country to embrace the uniform civil code as such provisions are in violation of the Constitution.
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Chicago: Video of American cop shooting black teen sparks protests
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks: Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Simon Harmer overshadows Imran Tahir on Day 1 in 3rd Test
- Seventh anniversary of 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks today
- Watch: How NASA astronauts are celebrating Thanksgiving in space!
- Shah Rukh Khan strikes a pose with ‘bestest’ friend Divya – See pic
- After brilliant century, Arjun Tendulkar claims four-wicket haul in U-16 match
- New poster: 'Har Har Mahadev', says Ranveer in 'Bajirao Mastani'!
- Online intolerance: Kerala journo faces threats for writing about madrasa child abuse
- Wear burqa in Switzerland and face a $9,835 fine