The city police on Thursday opposed the bail applications filed by Patel quota agitation leader Hardik Patel and his two aides, arrested in a case of alleged sedition claiming that the accused may resort to similar unlawful activities if they are released.
Amid the raging controversy over the issue of 'intolerance' in India, Gujarat Lokayukta Justice (retd) D P Buch today said intolerance is a political issue and does not fall under the purview of law.
The Congress on Wednesday moved the State Election Commission seeking immediate withdrawal of commercials on radio and television purportedly by the BJP, which it said is violation of the model code of conduct in force for forthcoming elections to local bodies.
Gujarat's ruling BJP has claimed that members of the Patel community, including those taking part in the quota agitation, were again supporting the party, a claim denied by the opposition and a faction leader.
Patel quota stir leader Hardik Patel's voice samples have matched with the voice in the intercepted calls, an official of Forensic Science Laboratory at Gandhinagar said on Wednesday.
Police resorted to cane charge to disperse hundreds of Patel community members when they tried to go near Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel, who was in the town for an election roadshow on Tuesday.
In October, Surat Police arrested Hardik on the charge of sedition for allegedly advising a fellow activist to kill policemen instead of committing suicide.
On December 30, 2014, Amit Shah got a major relief when a special CBI Court discharged him in the alleged staged shootout case related to Sohrabuddin Sheikh.
Last month, the High Court had sought an affidavit substantiating the charges made in the habeas corpus petition.
To substantiate their claims, Congress issued two official documents of SEC, having total number of voters in Ahmedabad before and after the voting.
The high court bench allowed the petitioner to amend its PIL and kept further hearing in the case for coming Thursday.
Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel on Monday declared there will be no reservations for the Patels in jobs and educational institutions.
e-voting introduced by Gujarat State Election Commission for polling in six municipal corporations held on Sunday, had very few takers as only 806 people voted online out of the total of over 95.9 lakh voters.
Congress called for a thorough probe into the alleged "removal" of voters' names from electoral list.
LK Advani on Sunday lavished praise on Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Though no untoward incident was reported during voting, several voters complained that they were deprived of casting vote as their names did not figure in the list.
Many residential colonies had put up 'No Entry' boards against BJP campaigners while in some areas, Patel agitators exhorted people to exercise their 'None of The Above (NOTA) option on the ballot paper.
The six municipal corporations are -- Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodara, Rajkot, Jamnagar and Bhavnagar.
Sreekumar contends that the Commissions of Enquiry Act, 1952, stipulates that a probe report should be laid before the house of the people.
The Modi government had on March 6, 2002 appointed justices Nanavati and Mehta to look into the February 27 Sabarmati Express train burning.
Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti convener Hardik Patel has appointed a new 'core committee' for OBC quota stir.
Hardik Patel on Tuesday filed a bail application in the Ahmedabad sessions court in connection with a sedition case filed against him.
Patel quota stir leader Hardik Patel on Tuesday filed a bail application in the Ahmedabad sessions court in connection with a sedition case filed against him here last month.
The members of Patel community have been demanding reservation under OBC category.
Congress leader and actor Raj Babbar will campaign for the party in the upcoming civic body polls in Gujarat.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday greeted people on the occasion of the Gujarati New Year.
Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) chief Mohan Bhagwat arrived here on Tuesday to attend a five-day workshop of Sangh pracharaks to be held in Mandvi taluka of Kutch starting tomorrow.
Patel leaders have put up banners at the main gates of some 20 housing societies which say "We have imposed section 144 for BJP leaders."
Hardik Patel hit the headlines after mobilizing hundreds of thousands of Patel community members seeking quotas in jobs and educational institutions.
The high court also stated that time has come for the country to embrace the uniform civil code as such provisions are in violation of the Constitution.
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- RJD-JD(U) legislators forcibly occupy govt bungalows in Bihar
- Chicago: Video of American cop shooting black teen sparks protests
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- ISIS 'poster girl' beaten to death after trying to escape Syria
- Noida: Woman kills self after husband dies of heart attack
- Noorjahan solar lanterns brighten up UP village!
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Details out: What Rahul Gandhi did during his two-month-long sabbatical
- When Sushma Swaraj was in charge of Modi government
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists
- Intolerance issue: AR Rahman expresses solidarity with Aamir Khan, says he too faced similar situation
- Intolerance issue: Here’s what Raveena Tandon feels
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Sheena Bora case: Despite jail sufferings, Indrani remains loyal to Peter, says he is innocent
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!