The higher reaches of Himachal Pradesh, including capital Shimla, are reeling under intense cold after heavy snowfall in the region on Sunday evening.
Himachal Pradesh News
The state capital was lashed by strong winds accompanied by showers this morning and heavy snowfall started in the town as the day advanced.
Intense cold wave accompanied by dry spell continued in Himachal Pradesh as mercury stayed below freezing point at most places in the state.
This was the season`s significant snowfall that froze the "Queen of Hills", as Shimla was fondly called by the British.
High-altitude areas of Lahaul-Spiti, Chamba, Kullu, Kinnaur and Shimla districts have been experiencing moderate to heavy snow.
The cold wave continued to grip the hills of Himachal Pradesh on Saturday despite prevailing dry weather, with Keylong region recording the lowest temperature in the state.
Three persons have been arrested on the charge of cow slaughter in remote Ranola village of Chamba district, following which the police tightened the security arrangements fearing tension in the area.
The Himachal Pradesh High Court on Saturday directed payment of compensation of Rs 20 lakh to the parents of each of the 24 engineering students of a Hyderabad college who were washed away in river Beas in near Thalot in Kullu district of the state on June 8,2014.
Shyam Saran Negi, 98, one of the oldest voters in India and a staunch believer in democracy since 1951, cast his ballot on Friday in the panchayat elections in Kinnaur district.
Voting began on Friday for the second phase of Himachal Pradesh panchayat elections amid tight security.
Taking a cue from Delhi, the Shimla authorities are contemplating implementing odd-even vehicle number scheme to regulate traffic and check pollution, an official said on Wednesday.
Sunny weather prevailed in Himachal on Friday as rain and snow was predicted by the weatherman from Saturday night, news that is sure to gladden the hearts of tourists thronging the hill state for Christmas and New Year celebrations.
Tibetan PM-in-exile Lobsang Sangay on Monday thanked the US Congress for allocating in its budget $6 million in aid for Tibetans in India.
Five students of the Institute of Technology and Future Trends (ITFT) Mohali suffered serious injuries and were admitted to the nearest hospital following clashes between two groups in the college.
There was marginal rise in minimum temperatures in Northern states on Thursday.
Himachal Pradesh`s popular tourist resort Manali and its nearby places on Thursday got another spell of snowfall, giving them a picturesque look.
The earthquake - which epicentre was in Tajikistan - was also experienced in Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab and New Delhi, besides Pakistan.
A Delhi court on Wednesday dismissed the plea of Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh seeking a directive to CBI to supply a complete copy of the FIR lodged against him and others in a disproportionate assets case.
Winter continued to tighten its grip on the higher reaches on Wednesday and Keylong became the coldest place in Himachal Pradesh, the temperature slipping well below the freezing point, the Met office said.
While one of the deceased hailed from Kerala, another was from Nepal, Kinnaur Superintendent of Police Rahul Nath said.
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh, who has been issued summons by the Enforcement Directorate, on Friday said he was confident of coming out clean on charges of money laundering and that he was too busy with the Assembly session to get worried about them.
Himachal Pradesh's popular tourist destinations Shimla and Manali received rainfall on Friday.
ED on Friday summoned Himachal CM Virbhadra Singh for questioning in DA case.
Any case of corruption can be reported on the telephone numbers 0177-2629893, a government spokesperson told IANS.
Triund Hill is located at a height of 2,842 meters above sea level at a distance of about 13 kilometers from McLeodganj.
Guru Nanak Dev preached love, peace and harmony to strengthen the bond of brotherhood, said Virbhadra Singh.
The fire broke out in one house and spread quickly to others as most of the houses in the village were timber structures.
In fresh trouble for Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) has registered a money laundering case against him.
The artefacts stolen last month from CM Virbhadra Singh's ancestral palace in Sarahan have been recovered.
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part III
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part II
- Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa still in coma
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Now, Pakistan too in the race to acquire Kohinoor diamond!
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- 150 soldiers, 2 canines - Bravehearts who rescued Lance Naik Koppad from Siachen Glacier
- VIDEO: Everyone in dressing room wants 'fighter' Yuvraj Singh to win matches for India, says Suresh Raina
- Post rumoured break up with Anushka Sharma, Virat Kohli sets dance floor on fire in Mumbai party: Report
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Sunny Deol's 'Ghayal Once Again' rakes in Rs 26.85 cr!
- Bihar government passes proposal for Patna Metro, cost estimated to be Rs 16,960 crore