The higher reaches of Himachal Pradesh, including capital Shimla, are reeling under intense cold after heavy snowfall in the region on Sunday evening.
Himachal Pradesh News
The state capital was lashed by strong winds accompanied by showers this morning and heavy snowfall started in the town as the day advanced.
Intense cold wave accompanied by dry spell continued in Himachal Pradesh as mercury stayed below freezing point at most places in the state.
This was the season`s significant snowfall that froze the "Queen of Hills", as Shimla was fondly called by the British.
High-altitude areas of Lahaul-Spiti, Chamba, Kullu, Kinnaur and Shimla districts have been experiencing moderate to heavy snow.
The cold wave continued to grip the hills of Himachal Pradesh on Saturday despite prevailing dry weather, with Keylong region recording the lowest temperature in the state.
Three persons have been arrested on the charge of cow slaughter in remote Ranola village of Chamba district, following which the police tightened the security arrangements fearing tension in the area.
The Himachal Pradesh High Court on Saturday directed payment of compensation of Rs 20 lakh to the parents of each of the 24 engineering students of a Hyderabad college who were washed away in river Beas in near Thalot in Kullu district of the state on June 8,2014.
Shyam Saran Negi, 98, one of the oldest voters in India and a staunch believer in democracy since 1951, cast his ballot on Friday in the panchayat elections in Kinnaur district.
Voting began on Friday for the second phase of Himachal Pradesh panchayat elections amid tight security.
Taking a cue from Delhi, the Shimla authorities are contemplating implementing odd-even vehicle number scheme to regulate traffic and check pollution, an official said on Wednesday.
Sunny weather prevailed in Himachal on Friday as rain and snow was predicted by the weatherman from Saturday night, news that is sure to gladden the hearts of tourists thronging the hill state for Christmas and New Year celebrations.
Tibetan PM-in-exile Lobsang Sangay on Monday thanked the US Congress for allocating in its budget $6 million in aid for Tibetans in India.
Five students of the Institute of Technology and Future Trends (ITFT) Mohali suffered serious injuries and were admitted to the nearest hospital following clashes between two groups in the college.
There was marginal rise in minimum temperatures in Northern states on Thursday.
Himachal Pradesh`s popular tourist resort Manali and its nearby places on Thursday got another spell of snowfall, giving them a picturesque look.
The earthquake - which epicentre was in Tajikistan - was also experienced in Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab and New Delhi, besides Pakistan.
A Delhi court on Wednesday dismissed the plea of Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh seeking a directive to CBI to supply a complete copy of the FIR lodged against him and others in a disproportionate assets case.
Winter continued to tighten its grip on the higher reaches on Wednesday and Keylong became the coldest place in Himachal Pradesh, the temperature slipping well below the freezing point, the Met office said.
While one of the deceased hailed from Kerala, another was from Nepal, Kinnaur Superintendent of Police Rahul Nath said.
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh, who has been issued summons by the Enforcement Directorate, on Friday said he was confident of coming out clean on charges of money laundering and that he was too busy with the Assembly session to get worried about them.
Himachal Pradesh's popular tourist destinations Shimla and Manali received rainfall on Friday.
ED on Friday summoned Himachal CM Virbhadra Singh for questioning in DA case.
Any case of corruption can be reported on the telephone numbers 0177-2629893, a government spokesperson told IANS.
Triund Hill is located at a height of 2,842 meters above sea level at a distance of about 13 kilometers from McLeodganj.
Guru Nanak Dev preached love, peace and harmony to strengthen the bond of brotherhood, said Virbhadra Singh.
The fire broke out in one house and spread quickly to others as most of the houses in the village were timber structures.
In fresh trouble for Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) has registered a money laundering case against him.
The artefacts stolen last month from CM Virbhadra Singh's ancestral palace in Sarahan have been recovered.
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Siachen braveheart Lance Naik Hanumanthappa passes away
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Odd-even formula to be back in Delhi from April 15
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- Afzal Guru row: Why not action against supporters at JNU?- Part III
- Japanese student spotted cleaning garbage in Delhi
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Afzal Guru row: Why not action against supporters at JNU?- Part II
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?
- Afzal Guru row: Why not action against supporters at JNU?- Part IV
- DNA: Service chiefs, leaders pay tribute to Siachen hero Hanumanthappa
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'
- 'Pakistan zindabad' slogans at JNU: Rajnath Singh, Smriti Irani to order action against 'anti-nationals'?
- Salman Khan hints at marriage plans; is Iulia Vantur the lucky girl?
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Kareena Kapoor, Parineeti Chopra rejected Hrithik Roshan's 'Kaabil'- Here's why
- Odd-even scheme to return from April 15-30 in Delhi; VIPs, women to be exempted: Kejriwal
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- 'Meri Pyaari Bindu': Get a slice of singer Parineeti Chopra – Watch video