Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti on Tuesday called for immediate de-escalation of the situation along the border in the state so that miseries of the people in border villages could end.
Jammu And Kashmir News
Separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Tuesday said he told BJP leader Yashwant Sinha that the government should release all separatist leaders and others arrested during an ongoing unrest as a precursor to beginning negotiations on how to solve the Kashmir issue.
Distancing itself from the delegation led by senior party leader Yashwant Sinha that met separatist leaders in Kashmir on Tuesday, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) said it was Sinha's personal initiative and the party had nothing to do with it.
"From 10 AM, Pakistan Army resorted to unprovoked ceasefire violation along the Line of Control in Noushera sector of Rajouri district by targeting our positions with mortar bombs and small arms fire," an army officer said.
Seven women civilians were injured on Tuesday in heavy shelling of Border Security Force (BSF) and civilian targets along the international border in RS Pura Sector of Jammu district by Pakistan Rangers, police said.
Three armed men today looted a bank on gunpoint in Kulgam district of Kashmir, police said.
Masked gunmen robbed Rs 2 lakh from a branch of the Jammu and Kashmir Bank in the southern district of Shopian on Tuesday.
Senior BJP leader and former finance minister Yashwant Sinha said he came to Jammu and Kashmir for humanity.
Pakistani troops on Tuesday violated a 2003 ceasefire in Jammu and Kashmir`s Rajouri district using automatics and small arms to target Indian positions.
Three school buildings were set ablaze by unknown persons in Kashmir over the past 24 hours, setting alarm bells ringing among authorities who have decided to step up security around educational institutions.
Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, continued to witness increased movement of traffic as more people today defied the strike call given by separatists.
The Jammu and Kashmir Police recovered a huge cache of arms and ammunition including 26 kg of explosive devices during a search operation in the Rajouri district on Monday.
Independent MLA Sheikh Abdul Rashid was today detained along with several of his supporters after he tried to stage a demonstration outside Civil Secretariat, the seat of Jammu and Kashmir government against the termination of 12 government employees last week.
A militant was killed in an encounter with security forces in Kupwara district of Kashmir today.
There have been over 40 incidents of ceasefire violations by Pakistani troops since India carried out surgical strikes in PoK after the Uri terror attack.
Police said the shelling and firing took place in Abdullian area.
"I am saddened by the demise of BSF jawan Gurnam Singh. He has given an example of bravery on the border and gave his life for the nation. I laud the sheer bravery and sacrifice of Gurnam Singh and offer my condolences to his grieving family," Rajnath said in a series of tweets.Gurnam Singh, succumbed to his injuries last night, after he was critically injured in an attack by Pakistani forces at border area in Kathua district of Jammu and Kashmir on Friday.
Border Security Force (BSF) jawan Gurnam Singh, who was injured in an attack by Pakistani forces at the international border in Kathua district of Jammu and Kashmir on Friday, succumbed to his injuries.
"He needs specialised attention," said a doctor at the private hospital.
Curfew was on Saturday lifted from six police station areas of the city but normal life remained affected in Kashmir for the 106th straight day due to the separatist-sponsored strike.
In a massive crackdown on terrorism in the Valley, two locals Jaish-e-Mohammad militants have been arrested in Kanispora area of Baramulla district in Jammu and Kashmir.
In a major breakthrough, the Jammu and Kashmir police on Friday arrested a Pakistani spy in the Samba district while he was making attempts to escape.
In the same area on Friday, Pakistani Rangers targeted a BSF post in which BSF Constable Gurnam Singh was critically injured, ANI reported.
Kashmiri separatist leader Syed Salahuddin has urged Pakistan to extend "military support" to help secede Jammu and Kashmir from India.
Speaking over the outrage which enveloped the Kashmir valley post the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani, Mufti urged for a need to stop militancy.
Curfew was on Friday clamped in six police station areas of the city and restrictions imposed in rest of Kashmir as a precautionary measure ahead of Friday prayers, affecting life in the Valley which showed a semblance of normalcy this week after over 100 days of unrest.
In yet another incident of ceasefire violation, Pakistan forces on Friday resorted to unprovoked firing at Bobiya post in Hiranagar sector, Jammu and Kashmir.
We outrightly reject his offer as Kashmir historically belongs to Kashmiri Pandits, said Kundan Kashmiri, chief of Kashmiri Pandit Conference (KPC).
At least 19 persons were killed on Thursday when the bus they were travelling in plunged into a deep gorge in Reasi district of Jammu and Kashmir, a police officer said here.
A Srinagar journalist who runs a news portal said he was questioned and "harassed" by police over a video statement by Hizbul Mujahideen he had published on his website a month ago.
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Agra: Three boys beat up railway ticket checker in moving train
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Today in History | October 24, 2016
- Everything is fine in Samajwadi Party, says Shivpal Singh Yadav
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Manipur: CM Okram Ibobi Singh escapes unhurt as militants open fire
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya – Part II
- Massive fire breaks out at scrap factory in Bihar
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- DNA: Analysis of the pathetic conditions of Lord Ram's birth place Ayodhaya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Cyrus Mistry removed as Chairman of Tata Sons; Ratan Tata is interim boss
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Sushant Singh Rajput's Twitter commentary of MS Dhoni's innings at Mohali is a Must Read
- Harbhajan Singh angers MS Dhoni fans with his birthday wish for Wriddhiman Saha
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav told Mulayam Singh's brother Shivpal that he would float new party?
- On Wriddhiman Saha's birthday, Virender Sehwag unleashes another gem on Twitter
- Video of that exact moment when explosion took place in Naya Bazar of Delhi's Chandni Chowk - WATCH