Last year, Marryam Siddiqui, a Muslim girl, won first prize in an inter-school Bhagavad Gita competition.
Siachen braveheart Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad was laid to rest at his home town - Betadur village in Dharwad district of Karnataka on Friday, a day after he breathed his last at Delhi's RR hospital.
Hundreds of people have gathered the house of Siachen braveherat Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad at Betadur village in Dharwad district of Karnataka to mourn his death.
Lance Naik Hanumanthappa spent six days buried alive under the snow after an avalanche came crashing down on his military post.
The last rites of Lance Naik Hanamanthappa Koppad, who passed away on Thursday after battling for life since his miraculous survival in Siachen, will be held at his native village in Dharwad district tomorrow with full state honours.
As the tragic news about the Indian Army's brave soldier broke, the village of Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad plunged into grief.
As a precautionary measure, the Karnataka government on Thursday asked the schools to remain closed for today, in the wake of leopard attack incident.
Ahead of zilla panchayat and taluk panchayat elections in Karnataka, former state chief minister and Janata Dal (Secular) state president HD Kumaraswamy has initiated a war of words with Chief Minister Siddaramaiah.
A leopard on Sunday entered a private school near Varthur and attacked people.
While Koppad's survival is a miracle, doctors say he was possibly trapped in an air pocket which saved him.
Five persons were killed and several others injured here when an old Railway parcel office building collapsed on Monday, a top police official said.
In a freak tragedy, the parcel office building of Hubli Junction station in Karnataka collapsed on Monday, trapping three people.
The leopard was later taken to Bannerghatta Biological Park.
The leopard entered the Vibgyor School at Kundalahalli near Whitefield at around 4 am today.
Earlier, the Karnataka Government had suspended three police personnel, including one inspector.
The vice chancellor of a private university here has been arrested for allegedly raping a 33-year-old woman, the police said on Saturday.
Scores of African students staged a protest in the city on Saturday against the attack on the Tanzanian girl student.
Kijazi said that his message to all African students is to “follow the law of country, live in harmony with local community and respect the leadership of the state”.
Taking cognisance of the alleged assault on and stripping of a Tanzanian student in Bengaluru, NHRC has issued notices to the Chief Secretary and the DGP of Karnataka government, seeking a report on the matter within two weeks.
Taking suo motu cognisance of media reports on the alleged stripping of a Tanzanian girl student and forcing her to walk "without her top" in Bengaluru on the night of January 31, the National Human Rights Commission on Friday issued notices to the Karnataka Chief Secretary Kaushik Mukherjee and Director General of Police (DGP) Om Prakash to submit a report within two weeks regarding the action taken in the matter.
The Bengaluru police on Friday suspended two constables for alleged negligence on duty and made more arrests in connection with the brutal assault on the 21-year-old Tanzanian student by a violent mob on Sunday.
Union Law and Justice Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda on Friday said the attack on a Tanzanian student has come as an embarrassment for the nation and asked the Karnataka Government has to take some stringent measures in wake of the deteriorating law and order situation in the state.
The 21-year-old Tanzanian student, who was allegedly stripped, assaulted and paraded naked by an angry mob in Bengaluru, has claimed that the cops on duty did nothing to help her when she pleaded for help.
A Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) member is one of the five suspects arrested for assaulting a Tanzanian woman.
A high-level team from New Delhi, including the Tanzanian High Commissioner to India, will leave for Bengaluru on Friday in connection with the assault on a Tanzanian woman in the Karnataka capital.
A high-level team from New Delhi, including the Tanzanian high commissioner to India, will leave for Bengaluru on Friday in connection with the assault on a Tanzanian woman in the Karnataka capital.
Condemning the incident, the MEA spokesperson said that his ministry “will extend full co-operation in the investigation.”
According to the Bangalore police, the complaint by the Tanzanian girl was filed yesterday even though incident happened on Sunday.
The Karnataka government on Thursday said that it was seriously probing the brutal assault on a Tanzanian student while assuring full safety of foreign students staying in the state capital.
High Commissioner of Tanzania in India, John WH Kijazi, on Thursday said that the authorities in his country have written to the Indian government, demanding strict action against those who allegedly attacked and molested a Tanzanian woman in Bengaluru following a road accident.
- Rahul Gandhi greeted with black flags at JNU
- Missing Army Captain Shikhar Deep found in Faizabad
- Titanic 2 - Replica of doomed ship to set sail
- PM Modi inaugurates Make in India Centre in Mumbai
- Return of jungle raj in Nitish's Bihar?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Family-run business vs professionally-run business
- JNU turns into political battleground
- Railway changes online ticketing rules, effective February 15
- Mumbai: PM Narendra Modi inaugurates Make in India week
- JNU row: Anand Sharma attacked by AVBP students
- Financial crisis leads politician to kill wife, kids and self!
- Shashi Tharoor questioned for five hours by Delhi Police
- Two BJP leaders killed in 12 hours in Bihar
- Bihar RJD legislator Raj Ballabh Yadav booked in rape case of minor
- PM Modi to launch 'Make in India' week in Mumbai
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him
- LeT chief Lakhvi`s son was gunned down by Indian troops in Kashmir: David Headley
- India summons US ambassador on decision to sell F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan
- MS Dhoni on Yuvraj Singh: Can't promote him over 'extraordinary' Virat Kohli, Suresh Raina
- Afzal Guru row: Modi government terrified of weak Indian people who raise their voice, says Rahul Gandhi at JNU
- Missing Indian Army captain found in Faizabad
- NZ vs Aus, 1st Test, Day 2: Adam Voges breaks Sachin Tendulkar's 12-year-old world record
- VIDEO: Ravi Bopara blasts 71* off 43 balls before taking 6-16 in PSL
- At present India has a Government where PM has the last word: Jaitley to Manmohan Singh
- Valentine's Day special: Want to woo your loved one? Try these romantic messages
- Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis record 38th straight win, storm into St. Petersburg Ladies Trophy semis