"The State of Karnataka should not be bent upon maintaining an obstinate stand of defiance."
A meeting here on Thursday between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu over the Cauvery water sharing issue remained inconclusive as both states refused to budge from their respective stands on the issue.
The Cauvery River originates in Karnataka but flows into Tamil Nadu and the matter of how much water each state should get has been a recurring dispute for decades.
Karnataka on Wednesday deferred the release of Cauvery river water to Tamil Nadu to Thursday.
The Karnataka government today deferred the decision to release Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu till September 29.
With the Supreme Court yesterday directing the Karnataka government to comply with its earlier order of releasing 6,000 cusecs of the Cauvery River water to Tamil Nadu for the next three days i.e. till Friday, former chief minister and BJP state president B.S. Yeddyurappa on Wednesday said there is no water at all, and added that his party would support Chief Minister Siddaramaiah at an all-party meeting being held today.
The Karnataka Government has convened an emergency cabinet meeting followed by an all-party meeting on Wednesday to evolve a consensual stand on release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu according to the Supreme Court order.
In a big setback to the Karnataka government, the Supreme Court on Tuesday directed the state to release at least 6,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu for next three days.
Former Karnataka Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy and his spouse will have to face criminal trial for alleged misuse of official position in granting lease to a mining firm and allotment of 80 acres of land to a private cooperative society, the Supreme Court said today.
Karnataka government sought modification of the Supreme Court order on Cauvery water sharing on Monday.
The Supreme Court is likely to hear the Karnataka Government`s plea on Tuesday to modify an earlier order on the sharing Cauvery waters with Tamil Nadu.
An aggrieved Karnataka on Monday sought time till January from the Supreme Court to release more Cauvery river water to Tamil Nadu as it needs the depleting quantity for drinking purpose.
The Karnataka Government on Monday filed an appeal in the Supreme Court seeking modification of the court`s order on providing water to Tamil Nadu.
On Sep 20, the SC had directed Karnataka to release 6,000 cusecs from September 21 to 27 to TN.
George had resigned on July 18, soon after a court in Madikeri, Kodagu district directed police to register a FIR against him and two police officers in connection with the suicide of 51-year-old Ganapathy.
The teams are in touch with the local administration and monitoring the situation round the clock, NDRF said.
Former Minister K J George will be re-inducted into the state cabinet on Sunday, after the Karnataka CID gave him a clean chit in the case related to the alleged suicide of DySP M K Ganapathy.
The Congress party said on Saturday that the Karnataka government needs to prove to the court that there is no intentional disobedience involved in not releasing waters of the Cauvery river to Tamil Nadu, as the quantity of water available is not sufficient.
After the Karnataka CID gave a clean chit to former minister KJ George and two senior police officers in connection with the alleged suicide of Deputy Superintendent of Police MK Ganapathy, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah will reinstate KJ George as a minister in the Karnataka Cabinet on Monday.
Police said Ismail was about to reach his car after completing his Friday prayers at a mosque at Irvanadu in Sullia when miscreants attacked him.
Backed by an all-party meeting mandate, the state cabinet has decided to defer the release of water to Tamil Nadu.
The Karnataka Legislative Council on Friday unanimously decided not to release Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu, saying the water was needed for drinking purposes in the state.
A special session of both Houses of Karnataka legislature will be held today to take a call on the Supreme Court's direction to the state to release 6,000 cusecs of Cauvery water per day to Tamil Nadu.
In a move that may set the state on a collision course with the judiciary, a special session of both Houses of Karnataka legislature will be held on Friday to take a call on the Supreme Court's direction to the state to release 6,000 cusecs of Cauvery water per day to Tamil Nadu.
The Karnataka government which was trying to create a confrontation between the legislature and the judiciary on the Cauvery issue should be taught a strict lesson, said PMK founder S.Ramadoss on Thursday.
Siddaramaiah said the cabinet decided to convene the special session of the state legislature on September 23 in the backdrop of the apex court order.
The two main political parties in Karnataka – BJP and the JD-S – have decided to boycott that all-party meeting called by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Wednesday to discuss the future course of action on the issue of sharing Cauvery river water with Tamil Nadu.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Wednesday urged the Karnataka Government to shed selfish interest and release Cauvery waters to neighbouring Tamil Nadu.
Supreme Court on Monday directed Centre to constitute Cauvery Water Management Board in four weeks
The Supreme Court will on Tuesday hear the plea on directions to both Tamil Nadu and Karnataka to take preventive measures in connection with a row over sharing of the Cauvery river water. Meanwhile, Section 144 has been imposed in Mandya's Sanjay circle ahead of the apex court's order.
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- DNA: Meet our highly trained surgical strike specialist 'Para Special Forces'
- Indian Army kills 35 terrorists in surgical strikes across LoC
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- DNA: Analysis of terror launchpads and training organisations in PoK
- DNA: Analyzing surgical strike operations and special commandos by various countries
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- India may not invite Pakistan for BRICS summit
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five reasons why Pakistan is denying India’s surgical strikes across LoC
- Punjab on maximum alert, villages near Pakistan border are being evacuated; additional BSF troops move in
- Nawaz Sharif condemns Indian aggression along LoC
- India carries out surgical strike across LoC: Updates
- Wait-listed? This new Railways policy will cheer you up - Must Read
- Baffled by India's surgical strikes, Pakistan violates ceasefire along LoC in Jammu and Kashmir's Akhnoor sector
- Big blow to Pakistan as SAARC Summit in Islamabad likely to be cancelled after India, 3 other countries boycott
- Bumper bonanza for BSNL customers! Download unlimited broadband data –Check out full tariff chart
- Army's surgical strike against Pakistan is a birthday present for a very special Indian!