Veteran BJP leader O Rajagopal finished third in Aruvikara constituency in Kerala on Tuesday but the party's vote share saw a significant five-fold increase from 2011.
CPI(M)-led LDF opposition members in Kerala on Tuesday staged a walkout from the Assembly, protesting denial of permission for an adjournment motion, seeking discussion over the spiralling price of essential commodities and the alleged collapse of state's public distribution system.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Tuesday said the Congress led UDF victory in Aruvikkara bypoll was a clear rejection of the various corruption charges levelled against his government and the politics of violence unleashed by opposition CPI(M) led LDF.
Congress candidate KA Sabarinathan who on Tuesday won the Aruvikara Assembly seat by over 10,000 votes dedicated the win to his late father.
In what has come as a huge relief for the Congress-led UDF in Kerala, its candidate KS Sabarinath has won the Aruvikkara bypoll, Tuesday.
Veteran Marxist leader VS Achuthanandan, an atheist, today quoted the Holy Bible in the state Assembly while launching a scathing attack on Finance Minister KM Mani, a die-hard Catholic, for his alleged involvement in bar bribery scam.
A CAG report has criticised Kerala government for its "failure" in implementing the flagship Sea-plane project even after Rs 23.29 crore was sanctioned to it, saying the state's Tourism Department should have conducted the feasibility study before venturing into the project.
In a relief to job aspirants from Kerala, Kuwait government on Monday authorised a new agency which is having operations in the state to conduct medical screening of job seekers.
The rescheduled budget session of the Kerala assembly started on expected lines on Monday with the Left opposition staging a walkout after its plea for an adjournment motion was disallowed.
Opposition LDF on Monday staged a walkout in Kerala Assembly in protest against denial of permission for adjournment motion seeking discussion over state Vigilance department's decision not to prosecute Finance Minister KM Mani in the bar bribery scam.
South West Monsoon, which picked up momentum after a lull onset, is predicted to bring heavy downpour, exceeding seven cm, in isolated places in Kerala till June 30, regional meteorological station here said on Sunday.
The full-fledged budget session of Kerala Assembly, rescheduled in the wake of the June 27 Aruvikkara bypoll, will begin here on Sunday, with the opposition gearing up to corner the government over the decision of Vigilance not to prosecute Finance Minister KM Mani in the bar bribe scam.
The full-fledged budget session of Kerala Assembly, rescheduled in the wake of the June 27 Aruvikkara bypoll, will begin here Monday, with the opposition gearing up to corner the government over the decision of Vigilance not to prosecute Finance Minister K M Mani in the bar bribe scam.
Cracking down on tight jeans, short tops and leggings, a north Kerala women's college has decided to introduce uniforms for its students from this academic year which also gives the go-by to the 'naqab' for Muslim students.
Kerala Finance Minister KM Mani said on Sunday that the truth in the "non-existent" bar scam case will ultimately triumph, adding that he did no wrong.
An estimated 77.35 per cent voters exercised their franchise in the Aruvikkara Assembly seat bypoll, which saw ruling Congress-led UDF and opposition CPI(M)-headed LDF locked in a fierce battle.
Police on Saturday seized 21 head of cattle, including cows and buffaloes, being smuggled in a lorry to Kerala from Karnataka, in the wee hours on Saturday.
Kerala on Saturday made a strong pitch for a higher share of the Centre in new centrally-sponsored schemes (CSS), which it said should be at 75 per cent.
Some miscreants hurled stones at the house of a Hindu Makkal Katchi (HMK) leader in Kalapatti in the city, police said on Saturday.
Former Kerala minister and film actor KB Ganesh Kumar, MLA, has landed in trouble with a Vigilance Court here issuing a notice to him for illegal possession of a jumbo which he had bought from Forest Department 20 years ago to offer the animal to a temple.
Despite heavy rains, an estimated 74.4 percent turnout was on Saturday recorded for the bypoll for Aruvikkara assembly where Kerala's ruling Congress-led UDF and opposition CPI(M)-headed LDF are locked in a stiff contest.
All arrangements were in place on Friday for a crucial by-poll to Kerala`s Aruvikara assembly constituency and all three major candidates expressed confidence about their victory.
The Southwest monsoon, after a delayed start, picked up momentum in Kerala, bringing heavy rains in most places of the state and Lakshadweep during the last two days, after registering a 26 percent deficit early this month.
Five students were killed and six others injured when a big tree fell on their school bus near here on Friday, police said.
An activist in Kerala who was trying to expose the state`s drug mafia has been left battered in a hospital following a brutal attack by a group of men who chopped off his hands and legs.
The Kerala State Disaster Management Authority will carry out a detailed study of the suspected 'heat wave' phenomenon which caused concern in the coastal areas of some parts of Kerala in recent days.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Tuesday said the outcome of June 27 Aruvikkara Assembly bypoll would be a referendum on the four-year rule of his government and also on the opposition LDF's performance.
As the campaign pitch hots up for the June 27 Aruvikkara bypoll, the main contenders are locked in a strident war of words with the latest salvo coming from Congress, which described Left veteran VS Achuthanandan as a "sacrificial goat" and "traitor" of CPI(M).
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy and his cabinet colleagues today condoled the demise of sister Nirmala, Superior General of the Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata.
Senior Congress leader KV Thomas on Tuesday urged the Centre to provide free ration to fishermen affected by the ban imposed on fishing by mechanised boats for the months of June and July.
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- Aapke Sitare, June 29: Astro prediction for Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces
- Tamil Nadu: Jayalalithaa launches first phase of Chennai Metro
- Beware of infectious diseases during rainy season!
- Fast N Facts @ 9 am
- Watch: Fast n Facts @ 4 pm
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 2 pm
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Aapke Sitare, June 29: Astro prediction for Aries, Taurus, Gemini and Cancer
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Arvind Kejriwal knew Jitender Singh Tomar possessed fake degree: Yogendra Yadav
- Delhi HC refuses to restrain Meena from entering ACB office
- AAP stages protests, demands resignation of four 'tainted' BJP ministers over alleged impropriety
- Protest in Bihar over lynching of school director
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa launches first phase of Chennai Metro via video-conferencing
- Lalitgate: Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje should quit, says RSS ideologue Govindacharya
- Tunisia terror attack: Have to counter ISIS' poisonous ideology, says David Cameron
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Solar plane takes off for Hawaii from Japan