Two persons including a schoolteacher, riding a motorcycle, were shot dead by the Army in Meghalaya's North Garo Hills district, an incident which the Army said took place because it mistook them as armed militants.
North East News
His family members said his body will be taken to Nagaland after the postmortem examination.
A veteran legislator, he was first elected to the state Assembly in 1969 from Yisemyong.
BJP opened its account in Manipur Assembly by winning the bypoll in two constituencies of Thangmeiband and Thongju on Tuesday.
As per reports, a chopper belonging to the state's disaster management team crash landed on Tuesday.
Opposition HSPDP on Tuesday retained the Nongstoin Assembly seat in Meghalaya defeating ruling Congress candidate by a margin of over 2,700 votes in the November 21 bypoll.
Former Mizoram health minister Lal Thanzara of Congress was on Tuesday declared elected in the bypoll to Aizawl North-III Assembly seat.
The Nagaland Board of School Education (NBSE) has postponed and rescheduled Class-IX final examination in the state.
Altogether 54,751 voters are eligible to decide the fate of six candidates in the by-elections for which polling started from 7 AM and will end at 4 PM.
The preparations for the by-election to Aizawl North-III assembly seat to be held tomorrow has been completed as all polling parties reached their respective polling stations today, Mizoram Election department officials said.
The media houses are free to publish any article about the NSCN(K) organisation which would add to the peace process, Assam Rifles said.
NSCN(K) cadre Peirai Hao is suspected to be the kingpin of the arms supplying gang.
Union Minister of State Prakash Javadekar on Tuesday said a "special cell" would soon be set up to ensure forest and environment are protected while sustainable development also takes place in eight north-eastern states.
The Nagaland Press Association (NPA), a conglomerate of journalists and non-journalists, also extended support to the editors in their protest against the para-military force.
The Centre on Monday declared the NSCN -K and all its formations and front organizations as a terrorist organization under the UAPA act.
In a surprise move, the BJP's Tripura unit has requested the main opposition Congress to form an electoral alliance to fight the ruling Left Front in the state's December 9 civic polls.
Manipur celebrated 'Ningol Chakkouba' today, a beautiful occasion when brothers invite married sisters for a grand feast during lunch time at their ancestral home in every household of the Meitei community.
Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju today said security upgradation in the North East region is very significant as the area is attached to the international border.
The Centre will soon file a Special Leave Petition (SLP) in the Supreme Court challenging a Meghalaya High Court order directing it to enforce AFSPA in Garo hills.
The arrested were mostly youth and students, including three girl students of reputed engineering and medical institutes.
Thirty-four people, including 20 students - mostly young boys and girls - were arrested as police busted a major sex racket in Tripura, police said here on Monday.
A suspected Jamaat-ul Mujahideen Bangladesh terrorist was on Thursday arrested from Tripura's Sipahijala district.
Mizoram Anti Corruption Bureau has launched investigation against Former Mizoram health minister and Chief minister Lal Thanhawla's younger brother, Lal Thanzara, opposition Mizo National Front (MNF) legal board chairman J Lalremruata Hmar said on Thursday.
Assam CM Tarun Gogoi favours a realignment of political forces, including the AIUDF, to fight the BJP on a single platform.
Two mutilated bodies were found at the the site of a powerful bomb explosion near the residence of an MLA in Manipur's Thoubal district.
The Meghalaya High Court has asked the Centre to consider enforcing Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 (AFSPA) in militancy-hit Garo Hills region in the state to help the administration restore the rule of law.
A Meghalaya government official, abducted by militant outfit Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), was released unharmed after seven days early Tuesday, police said.
In a bizarre incident, a security person shot his wife dead and then committed suicide on Sunday evening here, said police.
Tripura CM has called the current atmosphere of intolerance in the country a 'pre-planned strategy' of BJP and RSS to divide the nation.
Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki on Saturday expressed surprise at Governor JP Rajkhowa's letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi urging him to reconsider the decision to build a green field airport at Hollongi in the state in view of its "high cost".
- DNA: Analysis of Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' remark
- DNA: Analysis of Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' remark- Part 2
- DNA: List of World's 'most racially intolerant' countries
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- DNA: Reality check on how Muslims are treated around the world
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- DNA: 12 years on, Nadimarg Kashmiri Pandits massacre still rankles
- Why did Aamir Khan talk about 'intolerance' before Parliament Session?
- India is a great country but it has a lot to learn from Singapore: PM Modi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- RJD-JD(U) legislators forcibly occupy govt bungalows in Bihar
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Details out: What Rahul Gandhi did during his two-month-long sabbatical
- When Sushma Swaraj was in charge of Modi government
- Ind vs SA, 3rd Test: Hosts look to trap Proteas in spin web
- Pakistani terror convict gets 40-year jail by US court
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists
- Intolerance issue: AR Rahman expresses solidarity with Aamir Khan, says he too faced similar situation
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Salt water bath: Know why it's good for your health!