The Union Home Ministry, which banned the Naga insurgent group NSCN-K, responsible for the killing of 18 Indian army soldiers, has made no mention of the outfit's involvement in the deadly attack on June 4 in Manipur.
North East News
Daloi is also a village chief of Sohkyrbam Domphlang village and involved in running a toll gate of the Hima Nongkhlaw.
Human Rights Activist Irom Sharmila on Tuesday said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi should consider removing Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) from Manipur before pressing for a permanent seat in the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
42-year-old Sharmila is on a fast for around 15 years in Manipur demanding repeal of AFSPA.
A ceremonial meeting between India and China was held near Bumla in Tawang district of Arunachal Pradesh.
Opposition Mizo National Front (MNF) on Thursday accused Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla as one of the major players in a multi-crore scam involving a Siliguri-based lottery agent - the Teesta Distributors, owned by Santiago Martin and other share holders.
West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi, who has been given the additional charge of Tripura, was on Wednesday sworn in as the state's 17th governor.
Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki today convened an all-party meet here to discuss the Chakma-Hajong refugee issue in the backdrop of the recent Supreme Court judgment with regard to grant of Indian citizenship to Chakmas and Hajongs and their permanent settlement in the state.
Chemical scientist Sri Krishna Srivastava has been appointed the new vice-chancellor of North Eastern Hill University (NEHU) here in Meghalaya, officials said on Monday.
Meghalaya Police on Monday remained clueless about the whereabouts of an Intelligence Bureau officer abducted by suspected Garo militants in Meghalaya`s South Garo Hills district, bordering Bangladesh.
V Shanmuganathan, Meghalaya Governor, has been given an additional charge of Manipur after the demise of incumbent Syed Ahmed Khan.
Manipur Governor Syed Ahmed, who passed away on Sunday, was laid to rest with full state honours at the Rehmatabad cemetery in Byculla in south Mumbai on Monday morning, officials said.
Manipur Governor Syed Ahmed passed away at a private hospital here this morning, family sources said.
Meghalaya's oldest and longest serving legislator who fought single-handedly against Uranium mining in the state, Hoping Stone Lyngdoh, passed away at a hospital here on Saturday, family sources said.
Militants in Meghalaya's South Garo Hills have killed a young officer of the Intelligence Bureau, reports coming in from the northeastern state say.
Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla has defended his letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the violence in Manipur over its state assembly passing three controversial bills, and said he wanted to help his people in the neighbouring state.
West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi was on Thursday given additional charge of Tripura Governor due to absence on leave of Tathagata Roy.
In the backdrop of the violence and subsequent tension in the hills of Manipur following the passing of three contentious bills by the state assembly, tribal leaders from the northeastern state have met President Pranab Mukherjee and Union Minister for Tribal Affairs Jual Oram seeking the Centre`s intervention on the issue.
The hills of Manipur continue to simmer with tension ever since the state assembly, in a specially convened session on August 31, passed three controversial bills ostensibly to protect the rights of the indigenous people in the state.
A final-year student of the Indian Institute of Technology-Guwahati (IIT-G) was on Friday found dead near his hostel, police said.
NSCN-K leader SS Khaplang never wanted ceasefire with the Indian government and had agreed to it only because of pressure from the Naga civil society, according to NSCN-Unification general secretary Kitovi Zhimomi.
Three suspected militants of Manipur-based Hmar People's Convention (Democrats) were arrested from Bilkhawthlir village in Kolasib district of Mizoram, police said today.
Tripura is facing a severe shortage of essentials and transport fuel as the Assam-Agartala national highway -- the only surface link between Tripura and the rest of country -- has been damaged following incessant rainfall.
Expressing shock over the ban of National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Khaplang) by the central government, leaders from Nagaland`s political and social arena said the faction deserved opportunities to be allowed to "negotiate" and not be banned.
In a setback to the Opposition Meghalaya People's Forum (MPF), two Independent legislators from Garo Hills today withdrew their support to the forum.
There were 7,11,111 voters in the draft voters lists published in all the eight districts in Mizoram in which women voters outnumbered their male counterparts by 14,113.
Legislators in Meghalaya paid rich tributes to former president APJ Abdul Kalam, who died here on July 27, during the obituary reference on the first day of the Autumn session of the Assembly on Wednesday.
The central government on Wednesday banned Naga rebel group National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Khaplang) for five years.
As Manipur continues to simmer over the passing of three landmark bills by the state government in a special Assembly called by Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh, tribal parliamentarians from the Northeast have suggested that the "creation of two union territories" out of existing Manipur is the only solution for the prevailing impasse that has claimed the lives of eight civilians in the recent clash.
Opposition Mizo National Front on Tuesday lodged a police complaint against Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla's brother, who is a former minister, alleging that he indulged in corruption and misused his office.
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Bihar polls: Alert sounded ahead of PM Modi's rallies in Bihar
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Indian economy badly affected due to terror attacks: Moody's
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Dadri lynching was a pre-planned conspiracy: Mulayam Singh
- Indian Air Force celebrates 83rd foundation day
- Watch: Fast N Facts
- Compulsion to be Hindu in order to attend Garba festival?
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- It's time for Muslims to rise and protest against some Hindutva forces: Azam Khan
- Shahid reveals how he “connected” with wife Mira
- Murder of foreigners cannot destabilise Bangladesh: Sheikh Hasina
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Will look beyond India if blockade doesn't end: Nepal
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Nepalese 'donate' petrol to India in satirical protest
- US commander believes Kunduz hospital strike broke US rules: Report
- Six home remedies to fight viral fever
- Stuart Binny, Ajinkya Rahane slog it out at Team India practice ahead of 3rd T20