Three convicts, all serving life-imprisonment since 2012, escaped from the Central Jail in Tripura, police said on Saturday.
North East News
Irom Sharmila on Tuesday launched a new political party 'the Peoples Resurgence and Justice Alliance' (PRAJA) to contest assembly elections in Manipur due to be held early next year.
Two former Congress MLAs today joined BJP ahead of the upcoming state elections due in early 2017.
Congress has placed under suspension a legislator who rebelled against Chief Minister Mukul Sangma, following which five other members of the Khasi Hills Autonomous District Council tendered their resignations from the party.
The Bharatiya Janata Party is set to join the government led by Chief Minister Pema Khandu in Arunachal Pradesh on Friday.
A flash flood triggered by torrential rains on Monday night along Manipur-Myanmar border washed away a bridge and destroyed several houses, the police said on Tuesday.
Life in Manipur, known as the "Jewel of India", has often been disrupted by frequent strikes and shutdowns which have damaged the state`s economy and affected the livelihood of the common man.
Rights activist Irom Chanu Sharmila, who is also known as the 'Iron Lady' of Manipur, will float her political outfit later this month.
Isolating Pakistan for supporting terrorism is the great achievement of the Narendra Modi government, Union Human Resource Development minister Prakash Javadekar said on Monday.
Union minister Ram Vilas Paswan on Sunday announced setting up of a national consumer helpline for the northeast region.
The Mizoram government has launched a New Economic Development Policy (NEDP) to boost the state`s agriculture-based economy, develop rural infrastructure and to raise livelihood of the people.
After Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, rights activist Irom Sharmila now wants to meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi expecting good advice from him.
Opposition Mizo National Front (MNF) will write to President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Narendra Modi highlighting the Congress government's "complete failure" in maintaining law and order in Mizoram and urging them to impose President's rule in the state.
Direct train service between Agartala and Kolkata will be launched before the Durga puja, a top official of the NF Railway said today.
Two members of an inter-state gang have been arrested here for kidnapping a retired Assam Rifles personnel from the northeast and his nephew, police said on Monday. The victims have been rescued.
The Tripura Trinamool Congress burnt effigies of Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar and Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif over the weekend, saying both were anti-Indian.
The bombs were found from an ongoing construction site by the labourers after which the police were informed.
The high-voltage political drama revolving around the resignation of two Congress MLAs in Arunachal Pradesh came to an end today with Speaker Tenzing Norbu Thongdok restoring their membership in the sixth Legislative Assembly.
Trinamool Congress and Congress MLAs today staged a noisy walkout from the Tripura Assembly separately on different issues today. TMC members walked out when Speaker Ramendra Debnath refused to admit an adjournment over Chief Minister Manik Sarkar's alleged anti-national remarks.
The threat - the first ever in Manipur - triggered panic and alarm in Tulihal international airport in Imphal.
Justice Satish Kumar Agnihotri was sworn in as the Chief Justice of Sikkim High Court on Thursday.
Justice Rakesh Ranjan Prashad was on Thursday sworn in as the new Chief Justice of the Manipur High Court.
The student bodies affiliated to the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) swept the Student Council polls in all 22 government-run degree colleges in Tripura, an official said on Wednesday.
All four MLAs of the Trinamool Congress, including the party`s state President Thounaojam Shyamkumar have joined the ruling Congress in Manipur.
Keeping BJP's option open to be a part of the PPA government in Arunachal Pradesh, North East Democratic Alliance (NEDA) convenor Himanta Biswa Sarma on Sunday said the party will decide its future course of action during the national executive meeting.
A massive landslide triggered by heavy rains since Friday last has blocked roads in at least 20 spots, disrupted power supply and damaged cemeteries in the city, Aizawl District Disaster Management Authority officials said on Sunday.
Personal security guards and armed personnel of the minister had allegedly beaten up Bishesh Huirem, a film and mobile theatre artiste, following a road rage incident on Wednesday night.
The committee would be headed by the Secretary of Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC).
'Modi`s and BJP`s (Bharatiya Janata Party) foul play and fraud on democracy has come to a full circle in Arunachal Pradesh today.'
In a big setback for Congress, all but one of its 45 MLAs, including Chief Minister Pema Khandu, on Friday resigned from the party and joined the People's Party of Arunachal Pradesh, triggering a major political crisis in this northeastern state.
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Analysing the new revelations in Bermuda Triangle's mystery
- Watch: Reports on natural mosquito repellent
- DNA: How to check the safety of Debit cards?
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- DNA: Dr Subhash Chandra Show on how to build self confidence
- DNA: Analysis of Russia's nuclear threat to America
- Why politics are provoking riots in JNU?
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption
- Here's how Alzheimer's disease can be possibly prevented
- BSF jawan Gurnam Singh, injured in attack by Pakistani forces, succumbs to injuries
- Reliance Jio Welcome offer not valid till December 31 –It expires early
- Chinese mobile phone manufacturers urged to 'Make in India'
- Virender Sehwag Trolls Fan Who Wished Him Two Days After His 38th Birthday
- Wasim Akram, Shahid Afridi make it to Ahmed Shehzad's list of favourites
- PV Sindhu ups glamour quotient: Gorgeous badminton ace sizzles in magazine photoshoot — WATCH