The Northeast region is going through a phase of development, and education will be the next sector which the region would seek to excel.
North East News
Voting for the 53 wards in the Sikkim Urban Local Bodies election was held peacefully in all the 94 polling stations in four districts of the state today, officials said.
The Union Home Ministry, which banned the Naga insurgent group NSCN-K, responsible for the killing of 18 Indian army soldiers, has made no mention of the outfit's involvement in the deadly attack on June 4 in Manipur.
Daloi is also a village chief of Sohkyrbam Domphlang village and involved in running a toll gate of the Hima Nongkhlaw.
Human Rights Activist Irom Sharmila on Tuesday said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi should consider removing Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) from Manipur before pressing for a permanent seat in the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
42-year-old Sharmila is on a fast for around 15 years in Manipur demanding repeal of AFSPA.
A ceremonial meeting between India and China was held near Bumla in Tawang district of Arunachal Pradesh.
Opposition Mizo National Front (MNF) on Thursday accused Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla as one of the major players in a multi-crore scam involving a Siliguri-based lottery agent - the Teesta Distributors, owned by Santiago Martin and other share holders.
West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi, who has been given the additional charge of Tripura, was on Wednesday sworn in as the state's 17th governor.
Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki today convened an all-party meet here to discuss the Chakma-Hajong refugee issue in the backdrop of the recent Supreme Court judgment with regard to grant of Indian citizenship to Chakmas and Hajongs and their permanent settlement in the state.
Chemical scientist Sri Krishna Srivastava has been appointed the new vice-chancellor of North Eastern Hill University (NEHU) here in Meghalaya, officials said on Monday.
Meghalaya Police on Monday remained clueless about the whereabouts of an Intelligence Bureau officer abducted by suspected Garo militants in Meghalaya`s South Garo Hills district, bordering Bangladesh.
V Shanmuganathan, Meghalaya Governor, has been given an additional charge of Manipur after the demise of incumbent Syed Ahmed Khan.
Manipur Governor Syed Ahmed, who passed away on Sunday, was laid to rest with full state honours at the Rehmatabad cemetery in Byculla in south Mumbai on Monday morning, officials said.
Manipur Governor Syed Ahmed passed away at a private hospital here this morning, family sources said.
Meghalaya's oldest and longest serving legislator who fought single-handedly against Uranium mining in the state, Hoping Stone Lyngdoh, passed away at a hospital here on Saturday, family sources said.
Militants in Meghalaya's South Garo Hills have killed a young officer of the Intelligence Bureau, reports coming in from the northeastern state say.
Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla has defended his letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the violence in Manipur over its state assembly passing three controversial bills, and said he wanted to help his people in the neighbouring state.
West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi was on Thursday given additional charge of Tripura Governor due to absence on leave of Tathagata Roy.
In the backdrop of the violence and subsequent tension in the hills of Manipur following the passing of three contentious bills by the state assembly, tribal leaders from the northeastern state have met President Pranab Mukherjee and Union Minister for Tribal Affairs Jual Oram seeking the Centre`s intervention on the issue.
The hills of Manipur continue to simmer with tension ever since the state assembly, in a specially convened session on August 31, passed three controversial bills ostensibly to protect the rights of the indigenous people in the state.
A final-year student of the Indian Institute of Technology-Guwahati (IIT-G) was on Friday found dead near his hostel, police said.
NSCN-K leader SS Khaplang never wanted ceasefire with the Indian government and had agreed to it only because of pressure from the Naga civil society, according to NSCN-Unification general secretary Kitovi Zhimomi.
Three suspected militants of Manipur-based Hmar People's Convention (Democrats) were arrested from Bilkhawthlir village in Kolasib district of Mizoram, police said today.
Tripura is facing a severe shortage of essentials and transport fuel as the Assam-Agartala national highway -- the only surface link between Tripura and the rest of country -- has been damaged following incessant rainfall.
Expressing shock over the ban of National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Khaplang) by the central government, leaders from Nagaland`s political and social arena said the faction deserved opportunities to be allowed to "negotiate" and not be banned.
In a setback to the Opposition Meghalaya People's Forum (MPF), two Independent legislators from Garo Hills today withdrew their support to the forum.
There were 7,11,111 voters in the draft voters lists published in all the eight districts in Mizoram in which women voters outnumbered their male counterparts by 14,113.
Legislators in Meghalaya paid rich tributes to former president APJ Abdul Kalam, who died here on July 27, during the obituary reference on the first day of the Autumn session of the Assembly on Wednesday.
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- DNA: Final result of Zee News survey on Bihar polls
- Thousands stuck in major jam on China's 50-lane expressway
- Ignore provocative politicians, listen to Pranab Mukherjee: Narendra Modi
- CM Arvind Kejriwal sacks Asim Ahmed Khan over allegations of corruption
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Zee Media brings you the biggest survey- Part II
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Zee Media brings you the biggest survey
- DNA: Analysing smart schools of America
- Farmer's lands wiped out for Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Bihar elections: Exclusive pre-poll survey predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Exclusive pre-poll survey: What is the mood of Bihar voters?
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?
- WATCH: First video of Sachin Tendulkar, Shane Warne's Cricket All Stars!
- 'Jazbaa' movie review: It runs at a breakneck speed!
- Vijender Singh looks to live upto hype in pro boxing debut today
- Saudi woman, who chopped off Indian maid's hand, arrested
- Bihar poll survey: Majority of Hindus, OBCs favour NDA; Muslims,Yadavs to vote for JD(U)-RJD
- See in pic: Sharp, fierce Salman Khan in 'Sultan' first look
- Revealed! The best sexual position to get pregnant
- Sangeet Som, `saviour` of cows, is director of meat processing unit?
- 'World-killer' giant asteroid 86666 to narrowly miss Earth this weekend!
- Ranji Trophy: Freak dismissal during Karnataka-Bengal match triggers controversy