Human Rights Activist Irom Sharmila on Tuesday said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi should consider removing Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) from Manipur before pressing for a permanent seat in the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
North East News
42-year-old Sharmila is on a fast for around 15 years in Manipur demanding repeal of AFSPA.
A ceremonial meeting between India and China was held near Bumla in Tawang district of Arunachal Pradesh.
Opposition Mizo National Front (MNF) on Thursday accused Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla as one of the major players in a multi-crore scam involving a Siliguri-based lottery agent - the Teesta Distributors, owned by Santiago Martin and other share holders.
West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi, who has been given the additional charge of Tripura, was on Wednesday sworn in as the state's 17th governor.
Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki today convened an all-party meet here to discuss the Chakma-Hajong refugee issue in the backdrop of the recent Supreme Court judgment with regard to grant of Indian citizenship to Chakmas and Hajongs and their permanent settlement in the state.
Chemical scientist Sri Krishna Srivastava has been appointed the new vice-chancellor of North Eastern Hill University (NEHU) here in Meghalaya, officials said on Monday.
Meghalaya Police on Monday remained clueless about the whereabouts of an Intelligence Bureau officer abducted by suspected Garo militants in Meghalaya`s South Garo Hills district, bordering Bangladesh.
V Shanmuganathan, Meghalaya Governor, has been given an additional charge of Manipur after the demise of incumbent Syed Ahmed Khan.
Manipur Governor Syed Ahmed, who passed away on Sunday, was laid to rest with full state honours at the Rehmatabad cemetery in Byculla in south Mumbai on Monday morning, officials said.
Manipur Governor Syed Ahmed passed away at a private hospital here this morning, family sources said.
Meghalaya's oldest and longest serving legislator who fought single-handedly against Uranium mining in the state, Hoping Stone Lyngdoh, passed away at a hospital here on Saturday, family sources said.
Militants in Meghalaya's South Garo Hills have killed a young officer of the Intelligence Bureau, reports coming in from the northeastern state say.
Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla has defended his letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the violence in Manipur over its state assembly passing three controversial bills, and said he wanted to help his people in the neighbouring state.
West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi was on Thursday given additional charge of Tripura Governor due to absence on leave of Tathagata Roy.
In the backdrop of the violence and subsequent tension in the hills of Manipur following the passing of three contentious bills by the state assembly, tribal leaders from the northeastern state have met President Pranab Mukherjee and Union Minister for Tribal Affairs Jual Oram seeking the Centre`s intervention on the issue.
The hills of Manipur continue to simmer with tension ever since the state assembly, in a specially convened session on August 31, passed three controversial bills ostensibly to protect the rights of the indigenous people in the state.
A final-year student of the Indian Institute of Technology-Guwahati (IIT-G) was on Friday found dead near his hostel, police said.
NSCN-K leader SS Khaplang never wanted ceasefire with the Indian government and had agreed to it only because of pressure from the Naga civil society, according to NSCN-Unification general secretary Kitovi Zhimomi.
Three suspected militants of Manipur-based Hmar People's Convention (Democrats) were arrested from Bilkhawthlir village in Kolasib district of Mizoram, police said today.
Tripura is facing a severe shortage of essentials and transport fuel as the Assam-Agartala national highway -- the only surface link between Tripura and the rest of country -- has been damaged following incessant rainfall.
Expressing shock over the ban of National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Khaplang) by the central government, leaders from Nagaland`s political and social arena said the faction deserved opportunities to be allowed to "negotiate" and not be banned.
In a setback to the Opposition Meghalaya People's Forum (MPF), two Independent legislators from Garo Hills today withdrew their support to the forum.
There were 7,11,111 voters in the draft voters lists published in all the eight districts in Mizoram in which women voters outnumbered their male counterparts by 14,113.
Legislators in Meghalaya paid rich tributes to former president APJ Abdul Kalam, who died here on July 27, during the obituary reference on the first day of the Autumn session of the Assembly on Wednesday.
The central government on Wednesday banned Naga rebel group National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Khaplang) for five years.
As Manipur continues to simmer over the passing of three landmark bills by the state government in a special Assembly called by Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh, tribal parliamentarians from the Northeast have suggested that the "creation of two union territories" out of existing Manipur is the only solution for the prevailing impasse that has claimed the lives of eight civilians in the recent clash.
Opposition Mizo National Front on Tuesday lodged a police complaint against Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla's brother, who is a former minister, alleging that he indulged in corruption and misused his office.
A plan by insurgent outfit NSCN-K to blow up a major bridge in Assam`s Silchar town connecting the Barak Valley to the state`s neighbouring Dima Hasao district and Manipur was busted on Tuesday, police said. Four people have been arrested in this connection.
Several groups today took to the streets here demanding the state government to revoke the Ordinance aimed at empowering tribal chiefs and tribal institutions as it was "overstepping" into the domain of the Autonomous District Councils created under the sixth schedule of the Constitution.
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Bihar polls: Alert sounded ahead of PM Modi's rallies in Bihar
- DNA: India and Germany sign 18 MoUs for cooperation
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Check out the general knowledge of these UP panchayat candidates
- DNA: Watch image of India-Pakistan border at night
- Indian economy badly affected due to terror attacks: Moody's
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- Varanasi violence: Photos show police setting fire to bikes
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Jail sting reveals ex-UP minister Amarmani Tripathi's luxurious life in custody
- Rafa Nadal thrown by ex-ball boy, Novak Djokovic catches fire
- Top 10 films of Salman Khan
- Islamic State theatens 'the man who killed Osama bin Laden'
- See: Sridevi’s daughter Khushi kisses Jack Gilinsky; 3 month old pic goes viral
- The Pot Simmers: Beef Politics in UP; Beef Festival in Kerala
- See pic: Shaalia groove in 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded' finale!
- Pakistan expresses its ‘Jazbaa’ for Aishwarya Rai Bachchan