Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Saturday made an aerial survey of the flood-hit Nagaon and Morigaon districts and Kaziranga national park area and assured the state government all possible help to deal with the situation even as he asked the state government to prepare an effective action plan.
North East News
Three prisoners including two Saudi Arabian nationals were killed in a fight in a jail in India`s remote northeastern state of Manipur, officials said.
A lower court in Peren district of Nagaland today dismissed two complaints against Chief Minister T R Zeliang's educational qualification saying these were time barred. The judicial magistrate heard the arguments yesterday and delivered the order today observing the "instant case is in the shape of a political vendetta".
A woman and her three-year-old daughter were killed and six others injured when a house was hit by a massive landslide at Ngur village at Mizoram-Myanmar border, police said on Friday.
Remembering the supreme sacrifice made during the Kargil War in 1999, Inspector General Assam Rifles (North), Major General M S Jaswal and jawans today paid rich tribute to Late Captain Neikezhakuo Kenguruse at his memorial located near Nerhema village in Nagaland's Kohima district.
Leading human rights activist Irom Chanu Sharmila, popularly known as Manipur's 'Iron Lady', will reportedly end her 16-year long fast on August 9 and contest upcoming polls in this north-eastern state.
The ruling Mizoram Pradesh Congress Committee today denied that there was a proposal to create Kamalanagar District in south Mizoram's Chawngte area comprising the Chakma Autonomous District Council as alleged by the opposition parties and student organisations.
The flood situation continued to be critical in Arunachal Pradesh as the overflowing Noa Dehing river on Monday submerged the National Highway-52 at Namsai district.
A 24-year-old housewife from the minority Muslim community was allegedly shot dead by BSF trooper in Sonunamura`s Bangladesh border of Tripura on Friday.
Incessant downpour over the past couple of days has triggered landslides and floods in several districts of Arunachal Pradesh throwing normal life out of gear. Besides damaging culverts and some buildings, the floods and mudslide submerged low-lying areas and a rural link road and disrupted power supply.
Former Arunachal Pradesh assembly Speaker Nabam Rebia on Wednesday moved the Supreme Court seeking review of its verdict saying that it is "constitutionally impermissible" for the Speaker to decide on the plea for disqualification of lawmakers under the anti-defection law when a motion of no-confidence is pending against him.
The supply of essentials and fuel continues to be hit badly in Tripura for more than one-and-a half months now even as the state government sought the Centre's intervention to restore National Highway-8 which has been badly damaged.
Congress leader Pema Khandu will take oath as the Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister on Sunday after the party managed to convince rebel legislators to come back into the fold and avoid a floor test.
The Arunachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly at Naharlagun has been put under tight security cover ahead of the floor test by Chief Minister Nabam Tuki on Saturday.
Nabam Tuki, who was reinstalled as Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister on Wednesday, will have to take the floor test on Saturday as directed by Governor Tathagata Roy.
Arunachal Pradesh CM Nabam Tuki met Governor Tathagata Roy on Friday and sought ten days time to prove his majority in the house.
Nabam Tuki, who was reinstated as Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister by the Supreme Court two days ago, has sought more time to prove majority.
In a major setback to BJP and the Centre, the Supreme Court on Wednesday had ordered restoration of the Congress government in Arunachal Pradesh.
Kalikho Pul on Thursday claimed that he has majority in the Arunachal assembly and will prove it on the floor of the house when required.
Rebel Congress leader Kalikho Pul, whose government in Arunachal Pradesh was effectively declared null and void by the Supreme Court on Wednesday, on Thursday said he respected the apex court judgement but asked everyone to wait for the Assembly floor test.
Bharatiya Janata Party`s state president Tapir Gao on Thursday said that it respects the Supreme Court`s decision, however, added that Nabam Tuki government needs to prove majority in the floor house before taking charge of the government.
Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Kalikho Pul Wednesday said that there was no threat to his government as the required numbers are with him and it will be decided on the floor of the Assembly.
Hours after the Supreme Court ordered the restoration of the Nabam Tuki government in Arunachal Pradesh, Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday hit out at the Central government saying those who had trampled upon democratic norms have been defeated.
Former Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki on Wednesday hailed the Supreme Court judgment restoring his government and called it a "historic" ruling.
With Supreme Court ordering restoration of Congress government in Arunachal Pradesh, Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi grabbed the oppostunity to take a swipe on Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Governor's decision to advance Arunachal Assembly session was violative of Article 163 of the Constitution, the SC said.
Arunachal Pradesh Governor JP Rajkhowa had advanced to December 16, 2015, the commencement of the Assembly session.
Except Mizoram and Sikkim, most parts of northeast India have so far experienced deficient monsoon rains, the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said on Monday.
Megalithic stone structures, and iron implements which dates back to the prehistoric period have been found.
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families? - Part II
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India?
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India? Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the mystery of missing IAF aircraft AN-32
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind Yahoo's downfall
- DNA: Analyzing the deaths caused by electricity
- DNA: Analyzing the deaths caused by electricity Part-II
- DNA: Today in History, 28 July, 2016
- Women fight over seat in London metro
- Sacked AAP minister claims threat to his life from Kejriwal and his men
- Massive traffic jam brings Gurugram to a standstill
- Are Indian journalists sympathising with terrorists like Burhan Wani?
- Expelled BJP leader Dayashankar Singh arrested in Bihar
- Mumbai: Man crushed to death after tree falls on car
- NASA reveals new information on Sun's magnetic field and its kin!
- Argentine FA hope for Lionel Messi international U-turn
- Sebastian Vettel confident of Ferrari future despite James Allison exit
- Paes story: Seven-up Leander has Olympic Games in blood
- Delhi govt asks DANICS officer to join duty
- Former Nepal minister among 12 killed in bus accident
- No plan by Dalits in TN village to embrace Islam: Authorities
- 'India to talk with Pakistan in terror-free atmosphere'
- Kerala journalists call for boycott of lawyers
- Italy at risk of a terrorist attack, says spy chief
- Turkey's armed forces face deep overhaul in wake of coup
- After arrest of ISIS sympathisers, Kerala BJP demands detailed probe into 'conversions'
- Dalit couple axed to death for Rs 15
- India expects ''no issue'' over Chinese scribes'' visa row
- Sushma Swaraj to lead Indian delegation at Mother Teresa's canonisation