The Tripura High Court Chief Justice has asked the chief minister to take suitable action against those involved in the attack on a Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Court here on September 2, a minister said on Friday.
North East News
Violence and arson continued in Manipur's trouble-torn Churachandpur town where two government office buildings were burnt down by agitators while the four-day-old indefinite curfew was relaxed for some hours on Thursday.
Curfew was on Thursday partially relaxed in violence-hit Churachandpur district even as one more person injured in the police firing last week succumbed to injuries.
Protestors Wednesday torched the zonal education office (ZEO) in trouble-torn Churachandpur district even as the indefinite curfew which was clamped to control the situation was in force for the third day.
The people of Manipur's hill districts on Wednesday demanded imposition of president's rule in the state following the death of eight people in violence in Churachandpur district earlier this week
Several districts of Arunachal Pradesh on Wednesday continued to reel under flood-like situation triggered by incessant rain over the past few days even as work for restoration of essential services was on in full swing.
Normal life in Left Front-ruled Tripura was on Wednesday paralysed following a nationwide day-long strike called by ten central trade unions.
Manipur continues to be tense after eight people died and over 31 injured due to arson, violence and clashes between mobs and police in Churachandpur district even as curfew continued on Wednesday.
Manipur was on the boil on Tuesday with eight people dying and 31 injured since last night in arson, violence and clashes between mobs and police in Churachandpur district even as curfew continued since last night.
Five people were killed and 27 others injured in violence at Churachandpur town in Manipur during a 12-hour bandh called by tribal student organisations in protest against three bills passed by the Assembly even as curfew remained in force today amid reports of outbreak of fresh violence.
Four persons were killed and at least 13 others injured after violence broke out in Churachandpur district in Manipur last night after passage of some bills in the state assembly, prompting authorities to impose indefinite curfew in Churachandpur town.
The already tense situation in Manipur took a turn for the worse on Monday night after 4 people were allegedly shot dead by Manipur Police commandos following widespread arson in Churachandpur district.
Widespread arson was witnessed in Manipur on Monday night with houses of a state minister, an MP and five MLAs being set on fire by unidentified people in Churachandpur district apparently over passage of some bills in the Assembly, prompting imposition of curfew in the town.
The Meghalaya government will come up with an alternative draft bill to empower the tribal chiefs and their traditional bodies whose powers and functions were clipped by a High Court ruling last year, the state cabinet decided today.
Manipur Assembly on Monday adopted a resolution urging the Centre to ensure that the recently signed Naga 'Peace Accord' did not compromise with the territorial integrity of the state.
The Manipur Assembly on Monday unanimously passed three bills to protect the indigenous people of the state.
The Naga people are standing at the threshold of a major change in the political system and the need of the hour is their unity, the apex body of the Naga tribals said on Saturday.
The Naga Mothers' Association (NMA), an apex women's body in the state today claimed the woman who was killed in an encounter between the NSCN(K) and the Assam Rifles, was a health worker.
The newly-restructured National Skill Development Mission (NSDM) should create jobs in the north-east to put a stop to terrorism in the region, Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar said here on Thursday.
Heavy rains and landslides swept away three houses and damaged 70 graves in two cemeteries here, officials said today.
Ethnic tension being fanned by rival groups over the past two months at Aimol village in Manipur's Chandel district has been successfully defused by the Assam Rifles.
A delegation of Mon Autonomous Region Demand Committee (MARDC) led by Arunachal Pradesh Tourism Minister Pema Khandu today met Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh in New Delhi to press the decades-old demand for creation of Mon Autonomous Council (MAC), under the provisions of the Sixth Schedule of the Constitution.
Centre's interlocutor for Naga peace talks RN Ravi arrived here this evening for discussions with all sections of Naga civil societies and MLAs on the Naga political problem.
The role played by the Congress as Opposition in Parliament was embarrassing and cannot be accepted, Union Minister of State for Urban Development Babul Supriyo on Wednesday said.
In a relief to Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki, the Supreme Court Wednesday stayed the Gauhati High Court order for a CBI probe into corruption allegations related to his tenure as PWD Minister in 2006.
A combined team of the Police and 2 Assam Rifles arrested a cadre of Kanglei Yayol Kannaa Lup (KYKL) from Leishangthem Khongmanung areas in Manipur's Thoubal district yesterday, said a press release issued by the police today.
The Opposition National People's Party (NPP) in Meghalaya on Tuesday demanded adequate security cover in the Garo Hills region to ensure free, fair and peaceful elections to the Garo Hills Autonomous District Council.
The rain-triggered landslides have affected more than one hundred people at Phesama along NH-2, the main road link between Manipur and Nagaland.
Hitting out at Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma for extending the term of the Garo Hills Autonomous District Council (GHADC), the opposition National People's Party (NPP) on Monday said it was the "wishful thinking of the Chief Minister."
A former insurgent turned politician, Bijoy Hrankhawl, on Monday offered to be an "interlocutor" in the ongoing tripartite peace talks between the outlawed National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT), the state government and the Centre.
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Teachers' Day speech: PM Modi's 10 'shiksha mantra' to students
- Indrani Mukerjea admits she killed Sheena Bora
- Indrani Mukerjea admits to role in Sheena Bora murder
- Atul Anjan apologizes to supporters for earlier statement on condom ad
- Watch: Bollywood's top breaking news
- DNA: Analysis of Sheena Bora's dairy
- Exclusive chat with 'Welcome Back' star cast
- Govt may ask airlines to reduce price of air fares
- Hurriyat's Geelani writes 'secret' letter to Nawaz Sharif
- DNA: Analysis of break up of 'grand alliance' in Bihar
- President Pranab reaches out to students on eve of Teachers' Day
- DNA: China holds military parade, announces 3 lakh troop cut
- DNA: Image of drowned Syrian toddler leaves the world in tears
- Why are children so angry nowadays?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Inside view: Hillary Clinton e-mails reveal what US thinks of India
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- My mother is like Indrani Mukerjea, she likes having sex with many men: Delhi school boy
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Pravin Togadia warns against 'Population Jihad', says Muslims must be booked if they break two children norm
- US Open 2015: After MS Dhoni's helicopter shot, Roger Federer's new innovation grabbing headlines!
- Vaginal itching: What is it and 7 common causes
- Self-styled godman Asaram gets full body massage daily inside jail
- Isha Handa case: She planned her own suicide
- Only 7% Pakistanis have faith in Narendra Modi
- Inside Story: Sonia Gandhi reason behind Mulayam deserting Lalu, Nitish?