Embattled Arunachal Pradesh Governor J P Rajkhowa today strongly defended his actions of advancing assembly session and fixing its agenda claiming that the Chief Minister and the Speaker were "hand-in-glove" and trying to remain in power despite losing majority, even as the Supreme Court observed that he cannot take away the House's discretion on the basis of "mere apprehension".
North East News
The direct flight from Mizoram's lone Lengpui airport to Delhi will begin from May 27, an official statement today said.
A 'second-in-charge' of NDFB (Songbijit) was killed in an encounter with a joint team of police and Army early this morning at Runikhata area of Kokrajhar district of Assam, a senior police official said.
Manipur Police beefed up security measures on Sunday as Kuki organisations condemned the "unprovoked" gun attack on February 3 on Kukis in Molnom villagers near Pallel town along National Highway 2.
The Mizoram unit of BJP has suspended eight leaders, including its vice president Chalngura Zahau, for alleged anti-party activities and dissolved all district committees in the state.
Two policemen were injured in a bomb blast triggered by Garo militants in Meghalaya on Friday, police said.
Arunachal Pradesh Governor J.P. Rajkhowa on Wednesday said that certain government officials were "indulging in politics", and directed them to ensure that discipline is imbibed down the line in office.
Arunachal Pradesh government is preparing a list of documents for submission to Supreme Court following the directive to it to return copies of all official files seized from the offices of former chief minister Nabam Tuki, his ministers and parliamentary secretaries after imposition of President's rule in the state.
Two low intensity earthquakes, measuring 3.7 and 3.8, hit northeast region of the country in the wee hours on Tuesday.
The court has also directed that the copies of the hard disc of the computers and laptops of former Arunachal Pradesh chief minister Nabam Tuki should be provided to him too.
Dissident Congress MLAs in Arunachal Pradesh Monday demanded the removal of deposed Chief Minister Nabam Tuki from leadership of the CLP so that the party can continue to have a government and ruled out supporting a BJP-led coalition.
A five-judge Constitutional bench headed by Justice J S Khehar said "that (issuing notice) is our mistake."
Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad on Monday alleged that the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has murdered democracy by recommending President`s rule in Arunachal Pradesh.
The Supreme Court will hear the petition filed by Congress Party challenging the imposition of President's rule in Arunachal Pradesh today.
Manipur's Deputy Chief Minister Gaikhangam on Sunday had a miraculous escape, when police commandos on patrol found a powerful bomb planted on a road through which the leader was scheduled to pass.
Former Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki on Saturday endorsed BJP MP Shatrughan Sinha's view that when there is no war-like situation in Arunachal Pradesh, what was need for the Centre to recommend and impose president's rule in the state.
The Centre on Friday submitted in the Supreme Court its response on a petition filed by Congress challenging Arunachal Pradesh Governor Jyoti Prasad Rajkhowa's report recommending the President's rule in Arunachal Pradesh.
The Central Government on Friday submitted a reply in the Supreme Court justifying the imposition of President's rule in Arunachal Pradesh.
The mother of Chungkham Sanjit, a former insurgent who was allegedly shot dead in a fake gunfight on the directions of a top police officer, has demanded a fresh CBI probe into the killing.
Arunachal Pradesh Governor Jyoti Prasad Rajkhowa and the Centre are likely to file their replies in the Supreme Court today on petitions justifying the imposition of the President's rule in the state.
Former Arunachal Pradesh chief minister Nabam Tuki on Thursday filed a fresh plea in the Supreme Court against promulgation of President's Rule in the northeastern state.
The Governor alleged that members of the Tuki cabinet had joined protesters in sacrificing a cow outside Raj Bhavan.
Imphal Superintendent of Police Akoijam Jhalajit late on Wednesday denied Head Constable Thounaojam Herojit`s charges that he gave orders to kill an unarmed former insurgent.
Ahead of the Supreme Court hearing a Congress petition challenging imposition of President's rule in Arunachal Pradesh, former Chief Minister Nabam Tuki expressed confidence that he could prove his majority in the state Assembly.
Arunachal Pradesh Governor Jyoti Prashad Rajkhowa has assured MLAs that they will be provided security which they are entitled to.
The Congress has once again attacked the BJP over the imposition of President's Rule in Arunachal pradesh.
CBI has filed a chargesheet against nine Manipur police personnel in connection with the sensational killing of Chungkham Sanjit Meitei.
President Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday approved the Cabinet recommendation to impose President's rule in Arunachal Pradesh.
Tuki also met senior Congress leader and lawyer Kapil Sibal today to discuss the matter.
Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki said that they will fight this battle legally.
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part III
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part II
- Security advisor Kunal Verma's book reveals untold story behind 1962 Indo-China war
- Now, Pakistan too in the race to acquire Kohinoor diamond!
- Four people burnt dead in Delhi's Dilshad Garden
- Will Pak take action against Hafiz Saeed and Lakhvi after Headley's revelations?
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- While politics got 'detached' from religion, Modi govt took measures to preserve 'Sanatan Dharma': Amit Shah
- ICC U-19 World Cup, semi-final: India vs Sri Lanka - As it happened...
- Pakistan's ISI provided moral, financial support to LeT for 26/11 Mumbai attacks: David Headley's big revelations
- Like a boss! Prince Narula is back in the game
- Watch: This guy convinces girls to get pictures clicked with him – know how
- A woman encounters a huge wolf and the most unexpected thing happens - Watch
- Say goodbye to your acidity woes with these ten simple tips!
- Salman Khan’s new look as ‘Sultan’: Valentine's Day special- See Pic
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital