A complaint has been filed against the District Collector and Chief District Medical Officer (CDMO) of Odisha's Kalahandi for allegedly harassing the tribal man who walked for 10 km with his wife's body on his shoulders after he was denied a hearse.
The Odisha Human Rights Commission has asked the district collector of Balasore and Inspector General of Railway Police to enquire into the incident.
A probe into the incident by Kalahandi district collector Brundha D concluded that the man Dana Manjhi had left the hospital without informing anyone.
After a tribal man's 10-km walk with his wife's body on his shoulder drew widespread flak, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Thursday launched "Mahaprayan" scheme to help the bereaved transport the bodies of their kin from hospitals to their residences .
A poor man from Odisha was forced to walk down the road, carrying the dead body of his wife wrapped in a blanket for at least 10 kms.
One person sustained serious burn injuries following a blast in a petrol filling station here.
With the well marked low pressure concentrating into a depression over Bay of Bengal, IMD on Wednesday warned of very heavy rainfall coupled with gusty surface wind and rough sea in some areas of Odisha during the next 24 hours.
With a low pressure area over north Bay of Bengal and its neighbourhood likely to intensify further, the IMD today warned Odisha government about heavy rainfall and an increase in the height of sea waves upto four meters.
The Congress holds Biju Janata Dal government in Odisha and Bharatiya Janata Party government in Chhattisgarh responsible for the dispute over the sharing of waters of the Mahanadi River.
The Congress said the Odisha government should take necessary legal action against Chhattisgarh state over the Mahanadi water issue.
Odisha cabinet minister Jogendra Behera faced criticism from different quarters after his personal security officer (PSO) was seen tying his shoelaces during Independence Day celebration in Keonjhar on Monday.
The Odisha state Congress on Friday called for a statewide shutdown on August 16 to protest construction of barrages and dams on Mahanadi river in its upper catchment area by the Chhattisgarh government.
Odisha is likely to receive heavy rains coupled with gusty surface wind in the next 24 hours as a depression in the region has intensified into a deep depression over Bangladesh today.
The victim is a student of National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), located inside the Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT) campus near Bhubaneswar.
The Medical Council of India has slashed 250 MBBS seats in several medical colleges in Odisha and has permitted two other colleges to have 150 more seats.
The grotesque visuals of the incident shows a man beating his friend with a shovel to death, while the victim's friend is also attacked by him in Nayapalli area in Bhubaneswar on Saturday night.
The apex court directed the Odisha government to give additional compensation to the riot victims.
At least 40 people were killed and more than 35 others were injured in lightning strikes in Odisha in the past 24 hours, media reports said on Saturday.
The FIR has been lodged at Manamunda police station in Boudh district.
Two years after the arrest of Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda, a man who had allegedly given shelter to the high-profile rebel in his house near Bada Bazar here has been arrested, police said.
A Maoist carrying a Rs four lakh reward on her head surrendered before the police in Malkangiri district on Thursday.
After remaining untraced for about a month, wonder marathon boy Budhia Singh returned to Odisha on Wednesday night from Mumbai.
The mother and widow of a soldier who had laid down his life in the Kargil war are entangled in an intriguing legal battle for the past 17 years over sharing the monetary compensation.
Five tribals, including three women and an one-year-old child, were killed on July 8 in what police said was a crossfire during its operation against Maoists.
Union Water Resources Minister Uma Bharti on Tuesday said the state of Odisha is very close to her heart and asserted that the central government will not do anything or allow anything to happen that will hamper its interests.
Asking Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik to own responsibility for the death of five persons in Kandhamal, Congress said it would raise the issue in Parliament as such killings in the name of anti-naxal drive shows BJD regime's "anti-tribal and anti-dalit" psyche.
Sukhdev and his wife Rukmini were active for over a decade and decided to give up arms after they realised that the Maoists were harassing tribals and poor people.
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Thursday hit out at the BJP over the derogatory remarks against BSP chief Mayawati saying that it shows its "anti-Dalit" stand.
Dogs are considered to be the best friends of humans and the saying was yet again proved in Odisha's Gajapati district.
People belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC) under the banner of Ganjam District Dalit Samanwaya Samiti have launched a stir in Ganjam district demanding protection from alleged atrocities.
- Massive fire breaks out in Murshidabad hospital
- PM Modi is worried about Kashmir issue: Mehbooba Mufti
- Woman gang-raped, attacked with acid in Kanpur
- Gurgaon police launch operation "Romeo Returns", catch 50 men
- Hafiz Saeed threatens to separate Mumbai from India
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets 2000 km strategic road for development
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Diabetes drug may help prevent heart disease
- Kashmir unrest: Mehbooba Mufti meets PM Modi, hits out at Pakistan for openly fuelling tension in Valley
- Watch: Mouni Roy, Sanjeeda Sheikh's crazy 'Afghan Jalebi' act will make your day!
- Outline solutions, don't become roadblock to progressive democracy: BJP tells Mamata
- After Virat Kohli, time for Anil Kumble to work with MS Dhoni - Here's what Jumbo said..
- Union Minister Maneka Gandhi raps Kerala for its policy on stray dogs
- RSS distributed sweets on the day Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated: Congress
- Remember Parul Chauhan aka Ragini from 'Bidaai'? Her latest pictures will make your jaw drop!
- Usher announces new album 'Hard II Love'
- US to look for opportunities to advance India's NSG bid: Barack Obama
- Tunisian parliament approves national united government
- Guess who? This Bollywood veteran is giving Salman Khan serious fitness goals - Pic inside
- North Korea submarine missiles not ready until 2018: Experts
- Dhaka cafe attack mastermind, 2 others gunned down in police encounter
- ISRO to test scramjet engine