A complaint has been filed against the District Collector and Chief District Medical Officer (CDMO) of Odisha's Kalahandi for allegedly harassing the tribal man who walked for 10 km with his wife's body on his shoulders after he was denied a hearse.
The Odisha Human Rights Commission has asked the district collector of Balasore and Inspector General of Railway Police to enquire into the incident.
A probe into the incident by Kalahandi district collector Brundha D concluded that the man Dana Manjhi had left the hospital without informing anyone.
After a tribal man's 10-km walk with his wife's body on his shoulder drew widespread flak, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Thursday launched "Mahaprayan" scheme to help the bereaved transport the bodies of their kin from hospitals to their residences .
A poor man from Odisha was forced to walk down the road, carrying the dead body of his wife wrapped in a blanket for at least 10 kms.
One person sustained serious burn injuries following a blast in a petrol filling station here.
With the well marked low pressure concentrating into a depression over Bay of Bengal, IMD on Wednesday warned of very heavy rainfall coupled with gusty surface wind and rough sea in some areas of Odisha during the next 24 hours.
With a low pressure area over north Bay of Bengal and its neighbourhood likely to intensify further, the IMD today warned Odisha government about heavy rainfall and an increase in the height of sea waves upto four meters.
The Congress holds Biju Janata Dal government in Odisha and Bharatiya Janata Party government in Chhattisgarh responsible for the dispute over the sharing of waters of the Mahanadi River.
The Congress said the Odisha government should take necessary legal action against Chhattisgarh state over the Mahanadi water issue.
Odisha cabinet minister Jogendra Behera faced criticism from different quarters after his personal security officer (PSO) was seen tying his shoelaces during Independence Day celebration in Keonjhar on Monday.
The Odisha state Congress on Friday called for a statewide shutdown on August 16 to protest construction of barrages and dams on Mahanadi river in its upper catchment area by the Chhattisgarh government.
Odisha is likely to receive heavy rains coupled with gusty surface wind in the next 24 hours as a depression in the region has intensified into a deep depression over Bangladesh today.
The victim is a student of National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), located inside the Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT) campus near Bhubaneswar.
The Medical Council of India has slashed 250 MBBS seats in several medical colleges in Odisha and has permitted two other colleges to have 150 more seats.
The grotesque visuals of the incident shows a man beating his friend with a shovel to death, while the victim's friend is also attacked by him in Nayapalli area in Bhubaneswar on Saturday night.
The apex court directed the Odisha government to give additional compensation to the riot victims.
At least 40 people were killed and more than 35 others were injured in lightning strikes in Odisha in the past 24 hours, media reports said on Saturday.
The FIR has been lodged at Manamunda police station in Boudh district.
Two years after the arrest of Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda, a man who had allegedly given shelter to the high-profile rebel in his house near Bada Bazar here has been arrested, police said.
A Maoist carrying a Rs four lakh reward on her head surrendered before the police in Malkangiri district on Thursday.
After remaining untraced for about a month, wonder marathon boy Budhia Singh returned to Odisha on Wednesday night from Mumbai.
The mother and widow of a soldier who had laid down his life in the Kargil war are entangled in an intriguing legal battle for the past 17 years over sharing the monetary compensation.
Five tribals, including three women and an one-year-old child, were killed on July 8 in what police said was a crossfire during its operation against Maoists.
Union Water Resources Minister Uma Bharti on Tuesday said the state of Odisha is very close to her heart and asserted that the central government will not do anything or allow anything to happen that will hamper its interests.
Asking Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik to own responsibility for the death of five persons in Kandhamal, Congress said it would raise the issue in Parliament as such killings in the name of anti-naxal drive shows BJD regime's "anti-tribal and anti-dalit" psyche.
Sukhdev and his wife Rukmini were active for over a decade and decided to give up arms after they realised that the Maoists were harassing tribals and poor people.
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Thursday hit out at the BJP over the derogatory remarks against BSP chief Mayawati saying that it shows its "anti-Dalit" stand.
Dogs are considered to be the best friends of humans and the saying was yet again proved in Odisha's Gajapati district.
People belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC) under the banner of Ganjam District Dalit Samanwaya Samiti have launched a stir in Ganjam district demanding protection from alleged atrocities.
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- ACB questions former Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit in water tanker scam
- CAB planning Jagmohan Dalmiya Memorial Lecture during home season
- Dhyan Chand should have got Bharat Ratna ahead of Sachin Tendulkar, says former greats
- Kevin Magnussen taken to hospital for checks after crash at Belgian Grand Prix
- Study Constitution well, understand democratic process: President to law students
- Belgian Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg cruises to victory at Spa, Lewis Hamilton third
- 60 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan battle
- Myanmar President visits Taj Mahal
- 20 killed in Turkish shelling in Syria
- India remembers Kargil War hero Captain Anuj Nayyar who died in 1999
- Who are you? Guide to top seeds` rivals at 2016 US Open
- Low oxygen level kills thousands of peanut bunker fish in Keansburg marina- Watch!
- Dilshan equalled services of Jayawardena, Sangakkara for Sri Lankan cricket: Mathews
- Egypt frees renowned rights lawyer Malek Adly
- Shankaracharya for 'plebiscite' on both sides of Kashmir