Thousands of passengers faced a harrowing time as the Samjhauta Express (link train) and several other trains across Punjab were stopped, cancelled or diverted on Thursday as agitating farmers intensified their agitation against the state government on the second day.
Farmer groups in Punjab are protesting against the state government's "anti-farmer" policies and blocked rail traffic at several places, said reports on Wednesday.
Disgruntled leaders and workers of Aam Aadmi Party's Punjab unit on Sunday announced quitting the outfit citing "unhappiness" over its way of functioning and have alleged that the party has "deviated" from its original ideals.
Dera Sacha Sauda head Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh on Sunday said the decision of Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat of the Sikh religion, to exonerate him should be accepted by all followers of the faith.
The statements of 11 witnesses, including cops, were recorded by the inquiry commission probing the death of a minor girl who was allegedly molested and thrown off a moving bus in Moga.
Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday turned nostalgic while recalling his association with a research institute and his younger days in the city as Punjab University (PU) teacher.
Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) on Thursday hit out at Parkash Singh Badal led government saying people would throw the Akalis out of power for their "dictatorial" attitude, in 2017 state Assembly elections.
With the withdrawal of monsoon in the grain bowl states of Punjab and Haryana, the weather department recorded scanty rains this year even as good rainfall towards the end brought down the overall deficit.
Police cane-charged activists of Sikh organisations when they were trying to force shopkeepers to down shutters during a Punjab bandh call given by some Sikh outfits in protest against the decision of Akal Takht to pardon Dera Sacha Sauda head Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh.
In an incident that has touched the hearts of many, a 24-year-old Sikh set aside religious code by removing his turban to save four youths from drowning in a canal in Punjab.
Intelligence agencies fear that 15-20 terrorists may have crossed over to the Indian side in Punjab to launch terror strikes in the state, Delhi and other parts of the country.
A nonagenarian freedom fighter and president of Kapurthala District Freedom Fighters Association, Kalicharan Sood, died here after illness.
Amidst strong objection by Sikh leaders to the pardon granted to Dera Sacha Sauda head Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh by the Sikh faith's highest temporal seat, SGPC on Saturday urged the community to accept the decision, saying that the Akal Takht's supremacy cannot be challenged.
Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) on Friday described the Punjab government as "the most corrupt government in the country" and said that it has failed on every front.
Cautioning people against being swayed by "entertainer politicians", Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Friday said that such leaders were out to only befool people through hollow slogans and mimicry.
A youth has been arrested on the charge of raping a 15-year-old girl at Jaura Singha village here.
Various Sikh organisations on Friday rejected the decision of Akal Takht, the supreme temporal seat of Sikhs, to exonerate Dera Sacha Sauda head Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh of blasphemy charges, while describing the move as "politically motivated".
Heavy rains have lashed vast swathes of Punjab and some parts of Haryana since yesterday, raising fears of damage to paddy crop which is ready for harvesting.
As the country celebrates the golden jubilee of the 1965 India-Pakistan War, former Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh says his new book seeks to present the "right perspective" of the war fought 50 years back.
A 15-year-old girl was allegedly abducted and gang-raped by three persons at Jaura Singha village here, police said today.
To encourage hygenic conditions and cleanliness in government hospitals, the Punjab government will give a Rs.50 lakh award to the most hygienic hospital in the state, a senior officer said on Sunday.
A 21-year-old college student was allegedly raped here by a man who had promised to get her a job, police said.
Senior Aam Aadmi Party leader HS Phoolka on Saturday declared that he will resign from all the party posts he currently holds.
A joint team of Border Security Force (BSF) and Customs officials have recovered 23 kilogram heroin worth Rs 115 crores in the international market at Tehkala border outpost of Amritsar Sector.
Comparing leaders of Aaam Aadmi Party in Punjab with "clowns or comedians", senior Congress leader Amarinder Singh on Thursday accused them of showing "false dreams" as the former seemed making a serious bid for power in BJP-SAD ruled Punjab in 2017 Assembly polls.
The Punjab Public Service Commission has invited application from eligible candidates to fill vacancies in Punjab Civil Service (Executive Branch).
A day after being accused of fraudulently getting a government job for her own daughter which was allotted to Sarabjit Singh's daughter, Dalbir Kaur on Tuesday claimed that Swapandeep Kaur was her martyred brother's child and said she was ready to face any probe to prove it.
Dengue scare is spreading in both Punjab and Haryana, with two deaths and over 1,400 cases altogether of the vector-borne disease being reported from the two states.
A BJP leader in Punjab today accused Dalbir Kaur, said to be a sister of Sarabjeet Singh who was killed in a Pakistan jail two years ago, of fraudulently getting a government job for her own daughter instead of Sarabjit's daughter and demanded a CBI probe into the case.
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Bihar polls: Alert sounded ahead of PM Modi's rallies in Bihar
- DNA: India and Germany sign 18 MoUs for cooperation
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Check out the general knowledge of these UP panchayat candidates
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- DNA: Watch image of India-Pakistan border at night
- Indian economy badly affected due to terror attacks: Moody's
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- Varanasi violence: Photos show police setting fire to bikes
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!
- Top 10 films of Salman Khan
- Jail sting reveals ex-UP minister Amarmani Tripathi's luxurious life in custody
- The Pot Simmers: Beef Politics in UP; Beef Festival in Kerala
- See: Sridevi’s daughter Khushi kisses Jack Gilinsky; 3 month old pic goes viral
- Islamic State theatens 'the man who killed Osama bin Laden'
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Karisma Kapoor's estranged hubby Sanjay Kapur to marry long-time girlfriend?
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch