Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa Thursday made a slew of announcements aimed at ensuring rural development, including in the areas of infrastructure, all running into several crores of rupees.
It was a meeting held to ponder on how to address and alleviate farmers' grievances but she was apparently more concerned about how deftly she could crush those colourful candies flashing on her smartphone.
Normal life was not affected in Tamil Nadu on Wednesday due to the nationwide strike called by 10 central trade unions and supported by several labour unions in different sectors.
Tamil Nadu Government has allocated Rs 1,080 crore for distribution of laptops this fiscal under the free laptop scheme, one of the flagship schemes of ruling AIADMK, school education Minister K C Veeramani said today.
Hours after Sri Lankan Navy apprehended 16 Indian fishermen for allegedly violating the International Maritime Boundary, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Tuesday sought Prime Minister Narendra Modi's intervention for their release along with their boats.
Tamil Nadu government today said the translation of Tamil classic 'Tirukkural', which was penned by saint-poet Tiruvalluvar, into Mandarin has been completed.
About 50 activists of various political parties and organisations were arrested here on Tuesday when they tried to stage a 'rail roko', demanding employment to Tamils in Central government offices in the state.
Sixteen fishermen from Jagadhapattinam in Pudukottai district were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy on charges of violating the International Maritime Boundary Line this morning, Fisheries Department officials said here.
Madurai, Aug 31 (PTI) Tamil Nadu Congress unit chief E V K S Elangovan today said the prospects were bright for a coalition government after the near year's assembly elections.
Condoling the coracle mishap in Hogenakkal in which six members of a family were drowned, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa today ordered police and district administration to take legal action against those responsible for the tragedy.
Ahead of next year's assembly polls, DMK treasurer MK Stalin on Sunday launched a mobile application to connect better with young tech-savy voters and also sought their inputs to develop Tamil Nadu.
Police are on the look out for two persons, who escaped after inflicting knife injuries on the crew of a private bus last night in the city.
A cockroach found in Aavin milk packet triggered shock and surprise among the consumers in the city.
What can Re one get you in these days of escalating costs? A full meal no less, at a mess run by a service-minded man here for attenders of poor patients at the government headquarters hospital here.
A polytechnic student, who stole Rs 5 lakh from an aged couple, for the treatment of his ailing mother, returned Rs 4.5 lakh plus his motorcycle after his mother died at Periyar Nagar in this town on Wednesday.
Opposition parties including Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam and CPI(M) staged a walkout from the Tamil Nadu Assembly for the second day on Wednesday over issues including Mekedatu dam, stir by Neyveli Lignite Corporation employees and the recent violence in Seshasamudram village in Villupuram district.
The Tamil Nadu government on Wednesday said a proposal to provide Satellite-based Information Devices for fishermen who venture into deep seas for fishing was under its consideration.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Wednesday announced that a memorial will be built here honouring legendary actor late Sivaji Ganesan.
DMK chief M Karunanidhi's private secretary Shanmuganathan on Tuesday claimed he received a phone call from CBI to appear before it in connection with the audio tapes the agency is probing that purportedly has conversations linked to money trail of the 2G spectrum scam.
Madras High Court bench here on Tuesday acquitted seven persons sentenced to life imprisonment by a lower court in a murder case holding that the complaint of the primary witness had not been marked by police.
The National Human Rights Commission on Tuesday issued a notice to Tamil Nadu government calling for a report within four weeks in connection with the rescue of 52 bonded labourers, mostly minors, from a bore-well firm in Chennai.
A rebel DMDK legislator on Tuesday hailed Chief Minister Jayalalithaa as yet another "Anna", drawing loud thumping of desks by the ruling AIADMK members.
DMK on Tuesday staged a walk out in the Tamil Nadu Assembly after its plea for speaking in the House after a statement by Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on health sector projects was turned down by Speaker P Dhanapal.
Master health check-up plans, including a special one for women and Rs 120 crore allocation for Adyar Cancer Institute here, are among highlights of the Rs 500 crore worth of health schemes announced by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa in the Assembly on Tuesday.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Monday filed an affidavit in Supreme Court against appeals challenging her acquittal in the disproportionate assets case.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa on Sunday appealed to party workers to end their state-wide protests against TNCC president E V K S Elangovan for his alleged derogatory remarks over her August 7 meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi here.
Congress on Saturday asked Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa to direct her party cadres to end the agitation against TNCC president E V K S Elangovan over his alleged remarks against her.
Former Telecom Minister A Raja on Saturday said there "seemed" a "hidden agenda and politics" behind CBI lodging a fresh disproportionate assets case against him.
Dejected over being sacked from his job for "negligence" in duty, a 70-year-old watchman allegedly starved himself to death in his house here, police said.
AIADMK on WEdnesday sought an apology from Tamil Nadu Congress president EVKS Elangovan for his alleged remarks on the meeting between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa as protests by the ruling party men and BJP continued in the state.
- DNA: Manipur in boil, but where is the media!
- Fresh FIR against Radhe Maa on complaint by Dolly Bindra
- Delhi: Auto, taxi unions go off roads on September 2
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- 10 trade unions observe nationwide strike
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Is the country really discriminating against Muslim population? - Part II
- India's ceasefire violations threat to regional peace and security: Nawaz Sharif
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Nitish Kumar responds to Narendra Modi's Parivartan rally
- DNA: Guru Dutt's classic 'Pyaasa' to be featured at Venice Film Fest
- Sheena murder case: Indrani and Peter Mukerjea questioned at Khar Police Station
- Sheena, Mikhail my children: Indrani's first husband Siddharth Das
- Top 10 news @7am
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- When India came close to striking Pakistan's nuke sites
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot
- Clear stand on Ram Temple: VHP during BJP-RSS coordination meet
- While growing up, Sachin Tendulkar was like God to me: Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- Fresh FIR against Radhe Maa after sexual harassment complaint by Dolly Bindra
- OMG! Angelina Jolie's nude pictures go on sale
- Bang-bang time! MS Dhoni, Virender Sehwag, Shahid Afridi to play in charity match in London
- Sheena Bora murder saga: Is 'she' the secret caller who informed Mumbai police?
- 'Rs 25 crore' question: Was Sheena Bora's brother Mikhail blackmailing Indrani Mukerjea?