Around 35,000 jewellery shops in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry will down their shutters on Thursday in protest against the central government's stipulation to provide PAN card on purchases over Rs.200,000, said a senior official of All India Gems and Jewellery Trade Federation (GJF).
PMK today supported the Central RPT Central panel's recommendation to provide 27 per cent reservation in private sector jobs for candidates belonging to Other Backward Classes (OBC) and demanded additional quota to members of notified communities and ST.
Scientists at the US space agency NASA have discounted reports that an Indian bus driver in Tamil Nadu was killed by a meteorite, saying he was likely hit by a land based explosion.
The Madras High Court on Tuesday directed the Union Home Ministry to consider a plea seeking conferment of Bharat Ratna on Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
25-year-old Dileepan Mahendran's life turned upside down ever since he, in a moment of anger against the 'system', burnt the Indian flag and posted the picture on social media.
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa today condoled the death of four persons in a stampede in Tiruvannamalai yesterday and announced an overall cash relief of Rs four lakh.
A hosiery manufacturing unit owner and three members of his family were killed on the spot when their car collided with a lorry near Palladam in nearby Tirupur district early this morning, police said.
Nets of 30 fishermen boats were damaged allegedly by Sri Lankan naval personnel near Katchathevu islet today and they were chased back till Indian territorial waters, a Fishermen Association official said here.
During the first 10 minutes, medical assistance like immobilising the affected parts, resuscitation, providing oxygen, controlling bleeding increase the chances of an accident victim's survival.
BJP would hold talks with various parties on the issue of forming alliance for the coming Assembly polls in Tamil Nadu and a decision in this regard would be taken in 10 days, senior party leader L Ganesan said in Madurai today.
A middle-aged woman today attempted self-immolation inside the District Collectorate premises here, alleging delay by Revenue Department in carrying out measurement of her plot, police said.
A group of Bharat Sena activists on Monday tore and burnt Valentine's Day greeting cards in front of the District Collectorate, protesting against the day being observed as lovers day in what they termed in vulgar manner.
Kamraj was extremely unlucky to become a victim of a falling meteorite.
Thirteen persons were killed and 27 injured in a collision between a government bus and a cement laden lorry at T Kallupatti, about 40 km from here on Saturday, police said.
One person was killed and three others were injured when a mysterious heavy object fell close to the building complex of a private engineering college near here, causing an explosion.
More than 40 passengers of the Bengaluru-bound Kanyakumari-Bangalore City Express were injured after its four coaches derailed in Vellore district, around 170 km from here, in the wee hours on Friday.
On Saturday, Gandhi had accused Modi and RSS of trying to crush the spirit of students by imposing "one idea from the top".
Seeking to put to rest speculations that his brother and former Union Minister MK Alagiri could return to the DMK, party treasurer MK Stalin on Tuesday said the talk could be a rumour.
Prime Minister said on Tuesday that his government was committed to development of a generous social safety net for all workers.
With the assembly elections a few months away in Tamil Nadu, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will on Tuesday address a public meeting here, being billed by the party as the launch of its poll campaign and "a turning point rally" in the history of the state politics.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has sought Prime Minister Narendra Modi `s intervention to secure the release of nine Indian fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan navy on January 30.
A teenager was struck and killed after he tried to take a photo of himself in front of an oncoming train, police said Monday, in the latest deadly accident involving selfies.
A teenaged boy was hit by a speeding train in Chennai on Sunday while he was trying to click himself on the railway track.
Over 5,000 police personnel are on security duty across the city in connection with the visit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi here on February 2 to dedicate a Medical College attached to ESI and to address a party public meeting.
Nine Indian fishermen and two boats were apprehended by the Sri Lankan Navy near Palk Strait in Tamil Nadu early morning today.
Days after three girl students of a private college killed themselves over alleged exorbitant fee demands, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Saturday ordered transfer of the yoga and naturopathy students from that institution to a state-run college.
BJP is taking steps to form a "strong" alliance for the upcoming Assembly elections in Tamil Nadu and talks in this regard are in progress, two senior party leaders said on Friday.
A court here has sentenced six persons, including two women, to life imprisonment in connection with the murder of a 55-year-old woman in 2014.
The police on Wednesday arrested the principle of SVS College of Naturopathy and Yoga Science in connection with the death of three female students.
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part III
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part II
- Security advisor Kunal Verma's book reveals untold story behind 1962 Indo-China war
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Now, Pakistan too in the race to acquire Kohinoor diamond!
- Four people burnt dead in Delhi's Dilshad Garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- While politics got 'detached' from religion, Modi govt took measures to preserve 'Sanatan Dharma': Amit Shah
- Like a boss! Prince Narula is back in the game
- ICC U-19 World Cup, semi-final: India vs Sri Lanka - As it happened...
- Pakistan's ISI provided moral, financial support to LeT for 26/11 Mumbai attacks: David Headley's big revelations
- Watch: This guy convinces girls to get pictures clicked with him – know how
- A woman encounters a huge wolf and the most unexpected thing happens - Watch
- Say goodbye to your acidity woes with these ten simple tips!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital
- Preity Zinta to tie the knot this Valentine?