Tension prevailed in the district on Saturday night after an 'objectionable' message against a community was allegedly being circulated on a social networking app but immediate action from police and district administration brought the situation under control.
Uttar Pradesh News
Varanasi, the Lok Sabha constituency of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has become a venue for tussle between the Centre and the state government, with both vying to claim credit for developmental works done here.
A man from Varanasi, who received funding from the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) for his kidney transplant, has died waiting for the surgery to take place.
Anant Vikram Singh, estranged son of Congress leader and Rajya Sabha member Sanjay Singh, was on Saturday arrested in connection with the killing of a policeman here about nine months back.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who had to cancel his scheduled trip to his parliamentary constituency on June 28 due to heavy rainfall, is now likely to visit on July 16.
Two school children were crushed to death and seven others injured by a speeding truck on Delhi-Dehradun National Highway this morning, police said.
Uttar Pradesh tops the list of states with highest mobile penetration in rural areas, while Naxal-affected Chhattisgarh finds its place at the bottom.
A 19-year-old girl was allegedly raped and murdered by her lover in the wee hours today following which the accused has been arrested, police said.
A 35-year-old woman, who was set on fire during an alleged rape attempt, has succumbed to her injuries, police said on Friday.
The property of Manoj Yadav, cousin of mafia don D P Yadav and accused of killing a local BJP leader last year, was attached today at Laxmi Nagar area, police said.
11 persons have been sentenced to life imprisonment by a local court in a decade-old triple murder case in Dahturi Tola village.
The body of a ten year-old boy, who went missing yesterday, was found with some organs missing in Ahmedpur Phulwariya village here this morning, police said.
At least eight people were killed and three others injured after a tempo collided with a truck in Uttar Pradesh's Rae Bareli district on Friday.
After fingers have been raised against Uttar Pradesh Assembly Speaker Mata Prasad Pandey for allegedly appointing his two son-in-laws in the Assembly flouting norms, Governor Ram Naik Friday said that he would "examine the matter".
A youth has been arrested for sharing "objectionable" post on social networking site Facebook against Samajwadi Party leader Shafiqur Rehman Burq in Nakhasa police station area here, an official said.
Eight people were killed and two others injured Friday morning when the tempo in which they were travelling collided with a truck in Rajghat area.
Robbers allegedly looted a truck carrying 371 bags of grains at gunpoint near Jinawali village in the village, police said.
BSP chief Mayawati on Thursday said the Digital India programme is ineffective until Prime Minister Narendra Modi fulfills his pre-poll promise of supplying electricity to every home.
A generous intervention by Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik to help restore a dozen stolen hens to their rightful owner has led to Raj Bhavan receiving a slew of requests for assistance to trace missing pets.
After keeping a list of nine names sent by the state government for nomination as MLCs on hold for over a month, Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik on Thursday gave his approval to four of the recommended persons while seeking more information about the remaining five.
A 20-year-old girl was allegedly raped by her father for six months in Nauchandi police station area here, police said Thursday.
As many as 15 minors, working as child labourers, were rescued from hotels and 'dhabas' in various parts of the district under "Muskaan", a campaign to trace missing kids, police said on Thursday.
A 30-year-old woman, who was allegedly gang-raped, attempted suicide by consuming poison at Kotwali police station here over police's "failure" to arrest the accused.
About 200-250 live and used cartridges were found in a drain near Milana road here, police said on Thursday.
A man was beaten up allegedly by four youths when he objected to their eve-teasing of his daughter in Narayan village under Shahpur police station here, police said on Thursday.
Uttar Pradesh has the largest number of "fake" universities in the country at eight, followed by six in Delhi, the University Grants Commission (UGC) said on Wednesday. It said the country has 21 such bogus universities.
A five-year-old girl was allegedly raped by a teenage boy at Mahaban town, following which he was arrested, police said.
Local environmentalists on Wednesday again voiced their opposition to the Uttar Pradesh government's move to reduce the eco-sensitive zone limit around Sur Sarovar or Keetham Lake from 10 km to just 250 metres.
Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) has decided to set up English-medium schools up to intermediate in all districts of Uttar Pradesh by 2017.
- Hema Malini injured in Dausa car crash
- 1,400 teachers with fake degrees resign in Bihar
- Telangana CM gets Rs 5 crore bullet-proof luxury bus
- Court clerk clears Rajasthan Judicial Service, becomes judge!
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- AIB: Swatchh Bharat-Clean India reality check
- Telephone exchange case: CBI interrogates Dayanidhi Maran third time
- Why Bal Bharti School cancelled admission of 60 students?
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Now, another AAP MLA in fake degree row
- SECC will provide important input for policy makers: Arun Jaitley
- Aapke Sitare, July 2: Astro prediction for Aries, Taurus, Gemini and Cancer
- Aapke Sitare, July 3: Astro prediction for Aries, Taurus, Gemini and Cancer
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Nationwide mobile number portability from today!
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Facebook doesn't pose threat: YouTube
- No intention to surround India in 'string of pearl' bases: China
- Kerala student with 100% marks denied admission in Delhi University, approaches HC
- This dog in Madhya Pradesh got an Aadhaar card for itself
- Govt releases first Socio-Economic and Caste Census in 8 decades
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- MPs won't get hike in salary and allowances, govt not willing to accept proposals
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Copa America 2015: Argentina, Chile poised for classic finale