In a major development, a high alert was sounded in Haridwar and Dehradun on Wednesday after finding an abandoned bag containing 3 uniforms of Punjab Police.
Work on the important Rishikesh-Karnprayag railway line would start by 2016 end.
Uttarakhand goes to polls early next year to elect its legislative assembly, along with neighbouring states Uttar Pradesh and Punjab.
The post office had been washed away when the June 2013 flash floods that killed over 5,700 people and permission for restoration took three years.
A 60-year-old man allegedly chopped off a finger of an eight-year-old dalit boy in Haridwar district when the latter inadvertantly stepped over a row of cowdung cakes kept for drying while playing with his friends.
The search team on the Kedarnath trekking route in Uttarakhand discovered 19 more human skeletons on Tuesday, an official said.
Noting that universities today face the challenge of producing cadres of skilled youth who can take up research and leadership roles, Uttarakhand Governor K K Paul today asked them to re-orient themselves in accordance with the changing times and develop an academic base which gives confidence to students.
Some local residents of Uttarakhand's Ramnagar on Thursday killed a man-eater tigress.
A Mi17 chopper of the Indian Air Force (IAF) crashed soon after take off in Badrinath town in Uttarakhand on Wednesday but no one was hurt, officials said.
The Uttarakhand government on Monday admitted that many skeletons had been recovered from near the Kedarnath temple that was badly hit by flash floods and heavy rains in 2013.
The two-week-long Indo-US joint military exercise, being conducted at Chaubatia in Uttarakhand, concluded on Tuesday.
President Pranab Mukherjee will arrive in Uttarakhand on Tuesday for a three-day visit, officials said.
A mild quake measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale jolted Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand and adjoining areas in the wee hours today.
As part of the ongoing `Yudh Abhyas 2016` exercise, the Indian and US troops on Thursday participated in joint training operations in the mountainous terrain of Uttarakhand, a defence official said.
The regional Met department on Wednesday forecast heavy rains in the Kumaon region in the next 48 hours, an official of the state government said.
Five coaches of the Doon Express derailed in Uttar Pradesh's Faizabad on Tuesday afternoon, said railway officials. No casualties were reported so far.
President Pranab Mukherjee will be on a four-day visit to Uttarakhand from September 27 during which he will go to Kedarnath to pay obeisance at the Himalayan shrine along with his family and take part in the Ganga Arti at Haridwar.
The ruling Congress in Uttarakhand will seek answers from the centre for allegedly meting out step-motherly treatment to the hill state and inflicting on it the "wound of defection", during its 'Satat Vikas Sankalpa Yatra' starting September 10.
More than 50 roads in the state continue to be blocked by landslides, leading to problems for people living in some towns and villages.
The Kailash Mansarowar Yatra came to an end today as the last batch of 38 pilgrims reached the Lipulekh pass in the Indian territory this morning.
The nationwide strike of central trade unions on Friday showed little impact in the hill state of Uttarakhand as the state employees ignored the strike call.
Uttarakhand's Governor KK Paul has returned a file related to the appointment of Lokayukta to the state government here and asked it to start the process again by following appropriate rules and regulations.
More than five dozen people were stranded and the priest of a famous temple was trapped under debris in Gangotri after heavy rains triggered a landslide in the region on Tuesday morning, an official said.
Yoga Guru Ramdev is planning to start a world-class university in India in the next five years.
At least seven persons were killed and several others were left injured after a cloudburst triggered by heavy rain hit Pauri region of Uttarakhand on Monday.
Heavy rains continued to affect most parts of Uttarakhand damaging the trek to Kedarnath, officials said on Saturday.
Security has been heightened at public places in Uttarakhand ahead of the Independence Day celebrations, a police official said on Wednesday.
The PMO has taken cognisance of a written complaint lodged by the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) alleging corruption in Uttarakhand Power Corporation Limited (UPCL), the AAP said here on Monday.
Rishikesh-Gangotri National Highway is blocked by debris near Helgugad, Laldhang and Gangnani in Uttarkashi district.
Uttarakhand BJP has demanded the resignation of Chief Minister Harish Rawat following allegations made by a woman in connection with a rape case lodged against BJP leader Harak Singh Rawat, saying "conspirators had no right to remain in power".
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Demonetisation: Petrol pumps turn into cash counters
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Pakistan International Airlines plane crashes near Abbottabad
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Jayalalithaa death shock killed over 70, claims AIADMK
- DNA: Hindi named in top 10 most powerful languages in the world
- 7-storey under-construction building collapses in Hyderabad
- DNA: Analyzing the decision-making process of Time's 'Person of the Year'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs
- Jayalalithaa used to give tips on skin care - Apollo Hospitals' medical staff recall Amma's stay
- 'Mannargudi mafia' back in action? A common man can lead AIADMK, says Jayalalithaa's confidante Sasikala's husband
- SHOCKER: Bhuvneshwar Kumar floors umpire Paul Reiffel with 'wicketless' ball — WATCH
- Allahabad HC on triple talaq: Instant divorce is cruel, demeaning which impedes and drags India from becoming nation
- Parliament: Opposition agrees to debate demonetisation without division of votes
- India vs England, 4th Test, Day 2 — As it happened...
- Top Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist Abu Dujana cornered by forces in south Kashmir?
- US Congress to formally recognise India as major defence partner: Ashton Carter