Heavy overnight rains coupled with high speed winds occurred today at isolated places in Uttarakhand including Dehradun, uprooting trees and affecting power supply.
Yatra to Badrinath was resumed today after a gap of five days with breached stretches along the highway to the Himalayan temple repaired while 80 pilgrims stranded in Ghanghariya on their way back from the Sikh shrine of Hemkund Sahib were rescued by choppers.
At least 3500 pilgrims stranded at Gobind Dham in Uttarakhand have been safely evacuated and brought back either at Gobind Ghat (Joshi Math) with the co-operation and joint efforts of District Administration of Math, Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) and state team of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF).
The body of a 54-year-old woman from Delhi, who died during a pilgrimage to Kailash-Mansarovar in the Tibet Autonomous Region of China, was handed over to Indian authorities early Monday morning.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Sunday said Prime Minister Narendra Modi must respond to critical issues concerning the nation and added that the common man will decide whether the policies have been properly implemented by the Centre.
Yatra to Badrinath and the Sikh shrine of Hemkund Sahib in Chamoli district remained disrupted for the fourth consecutive day on Sunday even as the administration continued to evacuate pilgrims stranded on way to the Himalayan shrines in Uttarakhand.
Two Sikh pilgrims were killed while returning from Hemkund Sahib on Saturday when their motorcycle was hit by an unknown vehicle on Rishikesh-Badrinath highway in Tehri district.
Assuring the safety of the `Char Dham yatris`, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Saturday said the yatra will continue normally despite the incessant rains in the state.
900 persons were on Friday evacuated by choppers from Kedar valley, Hemkund Sahib and Badrinath areas with nearly half a dozen roads and bridges in Chamoli and Rudraprayag districts damaged by first monsoon showers and yatra to the Himalayan shrines severely affected for the second consecutive day.
Senior Congress leader Suryakant Dhasmana was on Wednesday appointed as the Chairman of the PCC's policy planning department which will work out and implement strategies on alleged "step-motherly" treatment of Uttarakhand by the Centre.
Mild tremors were felt in Uttarkashi and neighbouring areas of Uttarakhand in the wee hours of Wednesday as an earthquake measuring 3.2 on the Richter scale shook the district.
Uttarakhand MeT department on Wednesday issued a warning predicting heavy rains and landslides in parts of the state especially in the high altitude districts for two days beginning tomorrow.
Uttarakhand Police personnel and National Security Guard (NSG) commandos on Wednesday conducted a mock drill at Inter-State Bus Terminal here to check preparedness of security agencies in the event of a terror attack.
Uttarakhand has sought a grant in the ratio of 90:10 from the Centre to fund its ambitious action plan on the promotion of yoga and for tapping the ancient form of exercise to provide employment to people.
Hailing the "courage and determination" of its employees for repairing damaged roads and constructing new routes for the smooth conduction of Chardham yatra in the wake of 2013 flash floods, Border Roads Organisation today applauded its personnel for their efforts.
A 'yoga mahakumbh' will be held in Rishikesh on the occasion of 'Ardhakumbh' next year and possibilities of developing yoga centres in high altitude areas, including Kedarnath, are being explored, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat said on Monday.
Accusing the Centre of?curtailing allocation of funds to Uttarakhand,Chief Minister Harish Rawat today said in the first two and a half months of the current fiscal alone the state has had to suffer a shortfall to the tune of Rs 500 crore in central assistance.
Amid reports that IIT Roorkee had issued a notification making it mandatory for students to participate in a week-long yoga camp, the institute's management Monday said that no such circular was issued.
Amid reports that IIT Roorkee had issued a notification making it mandatory for students to participate in a week-long yoga camp, the institute's management today said that no such circular was issued.
Seventeen persons were killed and 22 injured when a Delhi-bound public bus from Pithoragarh fell into a deep gorge in Almora district on Saturday afternoon.
Puri Shankaracharya Swami Adhokchajanand on Saturday lauded the Uttarakhand government for the reconstruction work en route to Kedarnath but said it is also the state government's responsibility to dig the debris near the Himalayan shrine in search of bodies and dispose them of with proper Hindu rituals.
Accusing Narendra Modi government at the Centre of trying to spread religious fascism, former Uttarakhand Governor Aziz Qureshi on Friday said it poses a serious threat to India's identity and its liberal ethos.
It is exactly two years since a devastating deluge in the state claimed thousands of lives and rendered hundreds homeless, but for a majority of those affected, a safe, new home still continues to be a distant dream.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on Tuesday flagged off the first batch of Kailash Mansarovar Yatris from the Nathu La pass route and assured that the elderly people will also be able have a glimpse of Lord Shiva without facing problems.
The first group of pilgrims undertaking the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra this year arrived in Almora on Saturday.
Claiming there are bodies still lying beneath tonnes of debris near Kedarnath temple, BJP MP from Haridwar Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank has said he would resign from the Lok Sabha if human skeletal remains are not found under the huge quantity of rubble in the area.
To ensure seamless movement of pilgrims during the annual Amarnath Yatra along the Jammu- Srinagar highway, army and civil authorities today decided to formulate strategies that will focus on security and protection of pilgrims convoys besides enhancing the food and medical facilities to them.
The annual Kailash Mansarovar Yatra began on Friday as the first batch of 58 pilgrims was flagged off by Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat from Almora.
Uttarkashi, June 9 (PTI) Two persons were killed and eight others injured today when the car they were travelling in fell into a gorge in the district.
Accusing Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat of shying away from a CBI probe into the alleged misappropriation of funds meant for the 2013 flood victims, the BJP on Tuesday demanded his resignation on moral grounds, saying he has no right to continue in office even for a single day.
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with India's first NBA player Satnam Singh
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order
- Warning! Plastic rice from China now on sale in India
- Bombay HC allows Nestle to export Maggi noodles
- Exclusive: Ravi Shankar Prasad talks about Digital India Programme
- Subhash Kapoor's Guddu Rangeela in the midst of the ‘Mata Ka Email’ song controversy
- DNA: Analysis of Dayanidhi Maran's illegal telephone exchange case
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with cast of 'Guddu Rangeela'
- DNA: Why India should not take credit for Satnam Singh's NBA achievement!
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Shahid Kapoor and the women in his life
- Camera Day: Celebrate the art of photography and go click-happy!
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Japan bullet train suicide fire: Two killed after cardiac arrest
- Congress furnishes new documents on Dholpur Palace ownership
- Bangladeshi newspaper ridicules Indian cricketers with distasteful advertisement
- DU releases second cut-off, admissions remain open for most courses
- Bollywood gives thumbs up to 'Masaan' trailer!
- Digvijay Singh moves Supreme Court for CBI probe into Vyapam scam