It's been almost two years since Uttarakhand was devastated by the sudden flash floods, but the memories of the tragedy still haunt many, especially the labourers employed in the Kedarnath region for its restoration work.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat has sought a special assistance of Rs 500 crore from the Centre for the safe conduct of Ardhakumbh Mela during which huge crowds of devotees are likely to converge on the banks of the Ganga in Haridwar.
Under pressure from a section of police personnel protesting for removal of pay anomalies in the force, the state government has decided to grant benefits of hiked pay and grade pay to different categories of employees of the department with retrospective effect from December 12, 2011.
Concern over the "looming threat" to flora and fauna in the eco-sensitive Kedarnath Wildlife Sanctuary from helicopter operations to fly pilgrims to the religious shrine there was expressed by an environmental group today, leading the green tribunal to seek responses from the Environment Ministry and Uttarakhand government.
Badrinath national highway reopened to traffic after a three-day disruption caused by a stretch of road being washed away by rain.
Uttarakhand government today ordered immediate payment of compensation to Kedarnath teerth purohits who had to give their land for reconstruction work around the Himalayan shrine as per Kedarnath masterplan.
BJP today hit back at Chief Minister Harish Rawat for his remark that he was ready for a judicial probe into the sting video episode if BJP produced the original CD and said the Uttarakhand CM was once again "shying away" from a high-level probe into the matter.
Congress leaders from Uttarakhand will begin a protest from on Wednesday outside the residence of state BJP MPs, accusing the Centre of "ignoring the interests" of the hill state.
Unprecedented crowds of Kanwariyas poured in the city on Tuesday upsetting arrangements made by the administration, with major roads and Ganga ghats remaining choc-a-bloc with devotees throughout the day.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Tuesday said he was ready for a judicial probe into the sting CD episode if the main Opposition party BJP is able to produce the original CD, the instruments used in the sting and the documents in support of its allegations.
IAS officer and former personal secretary to Uttarakhand CM Harish Rawat, Mohammed Shahid, who was seen in a purported sting CD showing him negotiating a bribery deal, has been relieved by the Uttarakhand government and sent back to Centre, as per news reports on Tuesday.
Chief Minister Harish Rawat has asked the youth wing of the Congress to take unique welfare measures initiated by the state government to the masses.
Three persons were today killed when the jeep they were travelling in fell into the Alaknanda river in Devprayag area of Tehri district.
Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Saturday accused the BJP government at the Centre of "quietly" withdrawing the special category status from Uttarakhand and said the state has now demanded special economic incentives in recognition of its environment conservation efforts.
Notwithstanding the opening of the new route for Kailash Mansarovar yatra via Sikkim from this year, the original route from Uttarakhand has not lost its charm among pilgrims, tourism department officials say.
The authorities here have pulled down portions of the house of the journalist who had conducted a sting on Chief Minister Harish Rawat's former personal secretary that purportedly showed him negotiating a bribery deal for liquor licences.
At least 500 people were left stranded after a landslide blocked a highway in Uttarakhand on Saturday.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat has expressed concern over slow pace of work related to 2016 Ardhakumbh mela and directed officials to expedite it without compromising on the quality.
Residents of this famous tourist resort were up in arms against the Uttarakhand High Court order to demolish illegal constructions in Zone 1 and 2 of the city's Master Plan.
Elderly persons who were abandoned by their daughters-in-law after their sons' death in the 2013 calamity will get financial assistance from the state government.
In a sudden curtailment of inter-cadre deputation, the Centre has ordered the transfer of former Personal Secretary to Uttarakhand Chief Minister, Mohammad Shahid to the place of his immediate previous posting, after a sting video purportedly showing him negotiating a bribery deal went public.
BJP on Saturday demanded resignation of Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh and his Uttarakhand counterpart Harish Rawat, who, the party claimed, were involved in graft cases.
Under fire over a sting video purportedly showing Chief Minister Harish Rawat's personal secretary negotiating a bribery deal with a middleman for liquor licences, Uttarakhand government has removed the official from the post.
Samajwadi party's Uttarakhand unit today said that Dimple Yadav, wife of UP CM Akhilesh Yadav, should be the face of the party in the state, for the next election.
Samajwadi Party's Uttarakhand unit on Friday said that Dimple Yadav, wife of UP CM Akhilesh Yadav, should be the face of the party in the state, for the next election.
Over the last 200 years less than 50 % of the Himalayan arc has been damaged due to tremors, which includes the Garhwal-Kumaon belt of Uttarakhand, and a major earthquake cannot be ruled out in the region, a parliamentary report has said.
Uttarakhand government on Thursday asked the state DGP B S Sidhu to examine the authenticity of the sting operation video CD released by BJP accusing Chief Minister Harish Rawat of corruption in liquor licenses.
Uttarakhand High Court on Wednesday rejected the petition of 64 students challenging the decision of IIT-Roorkee to expel them for scoring less than five Cumulative Grade Points Average (CGPA) in semester examinations.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Wednesday rejected BJP's allegations of corruption against him over alleged changes in liquor policy saying the party was "desperate" and making the charge to deflect national attention from scams involving its top leaders.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat's secretary Mohammad Shahid has been suspended, as per media reports on Wednesday.
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- India's ceasefire violations threat to regional peace and security: Nawaz Sharif
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Customer steals Harley Davidson bike on pretext of test drive
- Indrani Mukerjea admits to role in Sheena Bora murder
- 4 terrorists killed in encounter in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani Mukerjea admits she killed Sheena Bora
- Atul Anjan apologizes to supporters for earlier statement on condom ad
- Top 25 news @10am
- Hurriyat's Geelani writes 'secret' letter to Nawaz Sharif
- Top 10 news @7am
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda
- Sheena Bora murder case: Mikhail is my adopted son, says Indrani Mukerjea
- PM Narendra Modi gives 'Buddha mantra' for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- S Sreesanth praises Virat Kohli for backing 'suspended' Ishant Sharma
- Inside view: Hillary Clinton e-mails reveal what US thinks of India
- Sri Lankan legend Kumar Sangakkara`s Twitter account hacked
- Watch: Is Sunny Leone's condom ad the reason behind rapes in India?
- Sheena Bora on Indrani Mukerjea in her diary: `I hate my mother...she is a witch`
- Katrina perfect for Ranbir, says Kareena Kapoor Khan
- Daddy Shah Rukh's message for daughter Suhana will melt your heart