In a major development, a high alert was sounded in Haridwar and Dehradun on Wednesday after finding an abandoned bag containing 3 uniforms of Punjab Police.
Work on the important Rishikesh-Karnprayag railway line would start by 2016 end.
Uttarakhand goes to polls early next year to elect its legislative assembly, along with neighbouring states Uttar Pradesh and Punjab.
The post office had been washed away when the June 2013 flash floods that killed over 5,700 people and permission for restoration took three years.
A 60-year-old man allegedly chopped off a finger of an eight-year-old dalit boy in Haridwar district when the latter inadvertantly stepped over a row of cowdung cakes kept for drying while playing with his friends.
The search team on the Kedarnath trekking route in Uttarakhand discovered 19 more human skeletons on Tuesday, an official said.
Noting that universities today face the challenge of producing cadres of skilled youth who can take up research and leadership roles, Uttarakhand Governor K K Paul today asked them to re-orient themselves in accordance with the changing times and develop an academic base which gives confidence to students.
Some local residents of Uttarakhand's Ramnagar on Thursday killed a man-eater tigress.
A Mi17 chopper of the Indian Air Force (IAF) crashed soon after take off in Badrinath town in Uttarakhand on Wednesday but no one was hurt, officials said.
The Uttarakhand government on Monday admitted that many skeletons had been recovered from near the Kedarnath temple that was badly hit by flash floods and heavy rains in 2013.
The two-week-long Indo-US joint military exercise, being conducted at Chaubatia in Uttarakhand, concluded on Tuesday.
President Pranab Mukherjee will arrive in Uttarakhand on Tuesday for a three-day visit, officials said.
A mild quake measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale jolted Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand and adjoining areas in the wee hours today.
As part of the ongoing `Yudh Abhyas 2016` exercise, the Indian and US troops on Thursday participated in joint training operations in the mountainous terrain of Uttarakhand, a defence official said.
The regional Met department on Wednesday forecast heavy rains in the Kumaon region in the next 48 hours, an official of the state government said.
Five coaches of the Doon Express derailed in Uttar Pradesh's Faizabad on Tuesday afternoon, said railway officials. No casualties were reported so far.
President Pranab Mukherjee will be on a four-day visit to Uttarakhand from September 27 during which he will go to Kedarnath to pay obeisance at the Himalayan shrine along with his family and take part in the Ganga Arti at Haridwar.
The ruling Congress in Uttarakhand will seek answers from the centre for allegedly meting out step-motherly treatment to the hill state and inflicting on it the "wound of defection", during its 'Satat Vikas Sankalpa Yatra' starting September 10.
More than 50 roads in the state continue to be blocked by landslides, leading to problems for people living in some towns and villages.
The Kailash Mansarowar Yatra came to an end today as the last batch of 38 pilgrims reached the Lipulekh pass in the Indian territory this morning.
The nationwide strike of central trade unions on Friday showed little impact in the hill state of Uttarakhand as the state employees ignored the strike call.
Uttarakhand's Governor KK Paul has returned a file related to the appointment of Lokayukta to the state government here and asked it to start the process again by following appropriate rules and regulations.
More than five dozen people were stranded and the priest of a famous temple was trapped under debris in Gangotri after heavy rains triggered a landslide in the region on Tuesday morning, an official said.
Yoga Guru Ramdev is planning to start a world-class university in India in the next five years.
At least seven persons were killed and several others were left injured after a cloudburst triggered by heavy rain hit Pauri region of Uttarakhand on Monday.
Heavy rains continued to affect most parts of Uttarakhand damaging the trek to Kedarnath, officials said on Saturday.
Security has been heightened at public places in Uttarakhand ahead of the Independence Day celebrations, a police official said on Wednesday.
The PMO has taken cognisance of a written complaint lodged by the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) alleging corruption in Uttarakhand Power Corporation Limited (UPCL), the AAP said here on Monday.
Rishikesh-Gangotri National Highway is blocked by debris near Helgugad, Laldhang and Gangnani in Uttarkashi district.
Uttarakhand BJP has demanded the resignation of Chief Minister Harish Rawat following allegations made by a woman in connection with a rape case lodged against BJP leader Harak Singh Rawat, saying "conspirators had no right to remain in power".
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- Bihar: Railway police seize 35 lakh in old currency notes from Jan Shatabdi Express in Gaya
- DNA: Complete analysis of Jayalalithaa's life
- Jayalalithaa's political struggle is an inspiration for all: Mallikarjun Kharge
- AIADMK workers in dilemma following Jayalalithaa's death
- DNA: Today in History, December 6, 2016
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Pro-poor schemes initiated by 'Puratchi Thalaivi' Jayalalithaa
- DNA: Today in History, December 5, 2016
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization? - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Salman Khan and brothers make amazing revelations on ‘Koffee With Karan’
- As mark of respect to Jayalalithaa, Tamil Nadu government declares December 6 as public holiday
- Justice JS Khehar to succeed TS Thakur as next Chief Justice of India
- OMG! Huge cobra throws up six eggs as she chokes after huge meal
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian
- Jayalalithaa laid to rest at Chennai's Marina Beach: Here is how her final journey concluded