Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Monday said that each person taking up the Char Dham yatra is the responsibility of the state government.
Heavy rains lashed Uttarakhand on Monday, and the Met department forecast more rains in the coming days.
Heavy overnight rains lashed a number of places across Uttarakhand where two persons died in Nainital district after debris from a landslide hit nearly a dozen houses and the administration issued an alert for people living near lakes and rivers.
Another batch of over 2,100 Amarnath pilgrims left here on Monday for the Himalayan cave shrine in the Kashmir Valley as heavy rain lashed the over-300 km long Jammu-Srinagar national highway.
Uttarakhand government on Sunday continued its alerts, following the weather department's forecast of heavy rains in many areas of the state, including the routes of the Chardham Yatra.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Friday announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh for the family of two sisters who died in an attack by a leopard in Tharali area of Chamoli district here.
The Haldwani- Ramnagar highway has been blocked after heavy rainfall triggered a landslide.
Heavy overnight rains coupled with high speed winds occurred today at isolated places in Uttarakhand including Dehradun, uprooting trees and affecting power supply.
Yatra to Badrinath was resumed today after a gap of five days with breached stretches along the highway to the Himalayan temple repaired while 80 pilgrims stranded in Ghanghariya on their way back from the Sikh shrine of Hemkund Sahib were rescued by choppers.
At least 3500 pilgrims stranded at Gobind Dham in Uttarakhand have been safely evacuated and brought back either at Gobind Ghat (Joshi Math) with the co-operation and joint efforts of District Administration of Math, Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) and state team of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF).
The body of a 54-year-old woman from Delhi, who died during a pilgrimage to Kailash-Mansarovar in the Tibet Autonomous Region of China, was handed over to Indian authorities early Monday morning.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Sunday said Prime Minister Narendra Modi must respond to critical issues concerning the nation and added that the common man will decide whether the policies have been properly implemented by the Centre.
Yatra to Badrinath and the Sikh shrine of Hemkund Sahib in Chamoli district remained disrupted for the fourth consecutive day on Sunday even as the administration continued to evacuate pilgrims stranded on way to the Himalayan shrines in Uttarakhand.
Two Sikh pilgrims were killed while returning from Hemkund Sahib on Saturday when their motorcycle was hit by an unknown vehicle on Rishikesh-Badrinath highway in Tehri district.
Assuring the safety of the `Char Dham yatris`, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Saturday said the yatra will continue normally despite the incessant rains in the state.
900 persons were on Friday evacuated by choppers from Kedar valley, Hemkund Sahib and Badrinath areas with nearly half a dozen roads and bridges in Chamoli and Rudraprayag districts damaged by first monsoon showers and yatra to the Himalayan shrines severely affected for the second consecutive day.
Senior Congress leader Suryakant Dhasmana was on Wednesday appointed as the Chairman of the PCC's policy planning department which will work out and implement strategies on alleged "step-motherly" treatment of Uttarakhand by the Centre.
Mild tremors were felt in Uttarkashi and neighbouring areas of Uttarakhand in the wee hours of Wednesday as an earthquake measuring 3.2 on the Richter scale shook the district.
Uttarakhand MeT department on Wednesday issued a warning predicting heavy rains and landslides in parts of the state especially in the high altitude districts for two days beginning tomorrow.
Uttarakhand Police personnel and National Security Guard (NSG) commandos on Wednesday conducted a mock drill at Inter-State Bus Terminal here to check preparedness of security agencies in the event of a terror attack.
Uttarakhand has sought a grant in the ratio of 90:10 from the Centre to fund its ambitious action plan on the promotion of yoga and for tapping the ancient form of exercise to provide employment to people.
Hailing the "courage and determination" of its employees for repairing damaged roads and constructing new routes for the smooth conduction of Chardham yatra in the wake of 2013 flash floods, Border Roads Organisation today applauded its personnel for their efforts.
A 'yoga mahakumbh' will be held in Rishikesh on the occasion of 'Ardhakumbh' next year and possibilities of developing yoga centres in high altitude areas, including Kedarnath, are being explored, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat said on Monday.
Accusing the Centre of?curtailing allocation of funds to Uttarakhand,Chief Minister Harish Rawat today said in the first two and a half months of the current fiscal alone the state has had to suffer a shortfall to the tune of Rs 500 crore in central assistance.
Amid reports that IIT Roorkee had issued a notification making it mandatory for students to participate in a week-long yoga camp, the institute's management Monday said that no such circular was issued.
Amid reports that IIT Roorkee had issued a notification making it mandatory for students to participate in a week-long yoga camp, the institute's management today said that no such circular was issued.
Seventeen persons were killed and 22 injured when a Delhi-bound public bus from Pithoragarh fell into a deep gorge in Almora district on Saturday afternoon.
Puri Shankaracharya Swami Adhokchajanand on Saturday lauded the Uttarakhand government for the reconstruction work en route to Kedarnath but said it is also the state government's responsibility to dig the debris near the Himalayan shrine in search of bodies and dispose them of with proper Hindu rituals.
Accusing Narendra Modi government at the Centre of trying to spread religious fascism, former Uttarakhand Governor Aziz Qureshi on Friday said it poses a serious threat to India's identity and its liberal ethos.
It is exactly two years since a devastating deluge in the state claimed thousands of lives and rendered hundreds homeless, but for a majority of those affected, a safe, new home still continues to be a distant dream.
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Waterlogging, traffic jams in Delhi after rains
- ED issues summons to Lalit Modi in money laundering case
- DNA: All you need to know about Vyapam scam
- Vyapam scam: CBI probe only if courts intervene, says Rajnath Singh
- Arvind Kejriwal wants referendum on statehood for Delhi
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed
- Uddhav Thakeray hits out at BJP, says corruption visible everywhere
- SC allows child's guardianship without father's consent to unwed mother
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Aapke Sitare, July 6: Astro prediction for Aries, Taurus, Gemini and Cancer
- Aapke Sitare, July 6: Astro prediction for Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends
- Vyapam scam: Only courts can order CBI probe, says Rajnath Singh
- Vyapam scam: Vijayvargiya stokes controversy, says “Is a journalist bigger than me?"
- Bombs at mosque, restaurant in central Nigerian city kill 51
- Pallavi Joshi resigns from FTII, lends support to students
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Amartya Sen says Modi govt ousted him from Nalanda University
- Ajay Devgn to appear on 'Nach Baliye 7' finale?
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput Wedding: All you need to know
- Unwed mother can apply for child's guardianship without father's consent: SC