Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Friday announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh for the family of two sisters who died in an attack by a leopard in Tharali area of Chamoli district here.
The Haldwani- Ramnagar highway has been blocked after heavy rainfall triggered a landslide.
Heavy overnight rains coupled with high speed winds occurred today at isolated places in Uttarakhand including Dehradun, uprooting trees and affecting power supply.
Yatra to Badrinath was resumed today after a gap of five days with breached stretches along the highway to the Himalayan temple repaired while 80 pilgrims stranded in Ghanghariya on their way back from the Sikh shrine of Hemkund Sahib were rescued by choppers.
At least 3500 pilgrims stranded at Gobind Dham in Uttarakhand have been safely evacuated and brought back either at Gobind Ghat (Joshi Math) with the co-operation and joint efforts of District Administration of Math, Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) and state team of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF).
The body of a 54-year-old woman from Delhi, who died during a pilgrimage to Kailash-Mansarovar in the Tibet Autonomous Region of China, was handed over to Indian authorities early Monday morning.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Sunday said Prime Minister Narendra Modi must respond to critical issues concerning the nation and added that the common man will decide whether the policies have been properly implemented by the Centre.
Yatra to Badrinath and the Sikh shrine of Hemkund Sahib in Chamoli district remained disrupted for the fourth consecutive day on Sunday even as the administration continued to evacuate pilgrims stranded on way to the Himalayan shrines in Uttarakhand.
Two Sikh pilgrims were killed while returning from Hemkund Sahib on Saturday when their motorcycle was hit by an unknown vehicle on Rishikesh-Badrinath highway in Tehri district.
Assuring the safety of the `Char Dham yatris`, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat on Saturday said the yatra will continue normally despite the incessant rains in the state.
900 persons were on Friday evacuated by choppers from Kedar valley, Hemkund Sahib and Badrinath areas with nearly half a dozen roads and bridges in Chamoli and Rudraprayag districts damaged by first monsoon showers and yatra to the Himalayan shrines severely affected for the second consecutive day.
Senior Congress leader Suryakant Dhasmana was on Wednesday appointed as the Chairman of the PCC's policy planning department which will work out and implement strategies on alleged "step-motherly" treatment of Uttarakhand by the Centre.
Mild tremors were felt in Uttarkashi and neighbouring areas of Uttarakhand in the wee hours of Wednesday as an earthquake measuring 3.2 on the Richter scale shook the district.
Uttarakhand MeT department on Wednesday issued a warning predicting heavy rains and landslides in parts of the state especially in the high altitude districts for two days beginning tomorrow.
Uttarakhand Police personnel and National Security Guard (NSG) commandos on Wednesday conducted a mock drill at Inter-State Bus Terminal here to check preparedness of security agencies in the event of a terror attack.
Uttarakhand has sought a grant in the ratio of 90:10 from the Centre to fund its ambitious action plan on the promotion of yoga and for tapping the ancient form of exercise to provide employment to people.
Hailing the "courage and determination" of its employees for repairing damaged roads and constructing new routes for the smooth conduction of Chardham yatra in the wake of 2013 flash floods, Border Roads Organisation today applauded its personnel for their efforts.
A 'yoga mahakumbh' will be held in Rishikesh on the occasion of 'Ardhakumbh' next year and possibilities of developing yoga centres in high altitude areas, including Kedarnath, are being explored, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat said on Monday.
Accusing the Centre of?curtailing allocation of funds to Uttarakhand,Chief Minister Harish Rawat today said in the first two and a half months of the current fiscal alone the state has had to suffer a shortfall to the tune of Rs 500 crore in central assistance.
Amid reports that IIT Roorkee had issued a notification making it mandatory for students to participate in a week-long yoga camp, the institute's management Monday said that no such circular was issued.
Amid reports that IIT Roorkee had issued a notification making it mandatory for students to participate in a week-long yoga camp, the institute's management today said that no such circular was issued.
Seventeen persons were killed and 22 injured when a Delhi-bound public bus from Pithoragarh fell into a deep gorge in Almora district on Saturday afternoon.
Puri Shankaracharya Swami Adhokchajanand on Saturday lauded the Uttarakhand government for the reconstruction work en route to Kedarnath but said it is also the state government's responsibility to dig the debris near the Himalayan shrine in search of bodies and dispose them of with proper Hindu rituals.
Accusing Narendra Modi government at the Centre of trying to spread religious fascism, former Uttarakhand Governor Aziz Qureshi on Friday said it poses a serious threat to India's identity and its liberal ethos.
It is exactly two years since a devastating deluge in the state claimed thousands of lives and rendered hundreds homeless, but for a majority of those affected, a safe, new home still continues to be a distant dream.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on Tuesday flagged off the first batch of Kailash Mansarovar Yatris from the Nathu La pass route and assured that the elderly people will also be able have a glimpse of Lord Shiva without facing problems.
The first group of pilgrims undertaking the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra this year arrived in Almora on Saturday.
Claiming there are bodies still lying beneath tonnes of debris near Kedarnath temple, BJP MP from Haridwar Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank has said he would resign from the Lok Sabha if human skeletal remains are not found under the huge quantity of rubble in the area.
To ensure seamless movement of pilgrims during the annual Amarnath Yatra along the Jammu- Srinagar highway, army and civil authorities today decided to formulate strategies that will focus on security and protection of pilgrims convoys besides enhancing the food and medical facilities to them.
- Hema Malini injured in Dausa car crash
- 1,400 teachers with fake degrees resign in Bihar
- Telangana CM gets Rs 5 crore bullet-proof luxury bus
- Court clerk clears Rajasthan Judicial Service, becomes judge!
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Telephone exchange case: CBI interrogates Dayanidhi Maran third time
- AIB: Swatchh Bharat-Clean India reality check
- SECC will provide important input for policy makers: Arun Jaitley
- Now, another AAP MLA in fake degree row
- Why Bal Bharti School cancelled admission of 60 students?
- Aapke Sitare, July 2: Astro prediction for Aries, Taurus, Gemini and Cancer
- Nationwide mobile number portability from today!
- Aapke Sitare, July 3: Astro prediction for Aries, Taurus, Gemini and Cancer
- Kareena, Arjun Kapoor to start shooting for Balki's film by July end
- Telecom scam: Will cooperate with CBI, says Dayanidhi Maran
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Asafa Powell fills Usain Bolt`s shoes and targets personal best
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'
- Kandahar hijack was ''goofed up'': Former RAW chief
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- No intention to surround India in 'string of pearl' bases: China
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- This dog in Madhya Pradesh got an Aadhaar card for itself
- Facebook doesn't pose threat: YouTube
- Kerala student with 100% marks denied admission in Delhi University, approaches HC
- Govt releases first Socio-Economic and Caste Census in 8 decades
- MPs won't get hike in salary and allowances, govt not willing to accept proposals
- France says no to asylum for WikiLeaks` Julian Assange