The Election Commission has instructed the director general of police to monitor all pre, post and poll day violence and submit the incident wise detailed report at periodical intervals.
West Bengal News
In a severe post poll violence in West Bengal's Malda, at least four Trinamool Congress (TMC) workers were killed and three others were hospitalised.
Kolkata, May 1 (IANS) Over 81 percent of the around 1.24 crore electorate cast their votes on Saturday for 53 constituencies in the fifth and penultimate phase of the West Bengal assembly polls, th
The delegation, led by BJP leader Debasree Chowdhury, alleged that the ruling party is terrorizing people in Basanti and attacked three of their supporters.
Earlier Left Front used to attack people and now TMC is doing the same, Rajnath Singh claimed.
Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury said a 'Pariborton' (change) is needed for West Bengal as in the last five years "nothing happened except making of false claims, tall talks on cinema and stage plays."
Referring to officers who were appointed to important posts under instructions from EC, Mamata said, "If someone thinks by getting power for 15 days, he will do anything, then he is mistaken."
After Saturday's polls, elections have been held in 269 of the 294 constituencies in the state. The remaining 25 will vote in the sixth and final phase on May 5.
The poll panel ordered filing of an FIR against sitting Trinamool Congress MLA and party candidate Sonali Guha after she was caught on camera allegedly ordering party workers to beat up CPI-M polling agents in her Satgachia constituency.
Only handful of vehicles, apart from the cars of the media, poll and security personnel, were seen on the road.
At a time when polling in 53 constituencies for fifth phase of West Bengal Assembly election is underway, Trinamool Congress leader Firhad Hakim has triggered a controversy which may cost dearly to the party.
The Bankura's temperature was six degrees above normal, the Met department said and forecast above 45 degree temperature for the next three days.
Polling began for 53 constituencies in the fifth and penultimate phase on West Bengal assembly polls on Saturday.
The polling will be held for 31 constituencies in 24 Parganas Dakshin, 18 in Hooghly and four in Kolkata Dakshin.
The transwoman will be posted at one of the booths at South City International School which falls in Rashbehari assembly constituency.
The app, 'Q4U', will facilitate electors by informing them how long the queue is.
The actress-turned politician was later granted bail on a personal bond of Rs 500.
The order was passed by a bench of Chief Justice Manjula Chellur and Justice A Banerjee.
As many as 680 companies of central forces will be deployed in poll-bound districts of South 24 Parganas, Kolkata and Hooghly during the fifth phase of polls on April 30, Election Commission officials said here.
Campaigning ended on Thursday for the fifth phase of the West Bengal assembly elections involving 53 seats in three districts where balloting will take place on April 30.
With four of the Trinamool Congress leaders "caught" accepting "illegal money" in the purported Narada sting operation contesting the fifth phase of assembly polls on Saturday, it is seemingly a litmus test for West Bengal's ruling party which has been battling corruption charges levelled by the opposition.
The prestigious Bhawanipur constituency in the city is set to witness a star-studded fight where Trinamool Congress chairperson and Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee is challenged by two heavyweights in her own backyard.
In one of her fiercest attacks on her political rivals, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee has said that CPI-M, Congress, BJP can't win in West Bengal come what may.
The Chhattisgarh Board of Secondary Education (CGBSE) is likely to declare the results of Class 10 Examination 2016 on April 28.
Striking a rare show of bonhomie, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday shared the stage with veteran CPI-M leader and former chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee amid slogans calling for long life for the Congress-Left unity to save Bengal.
Facing Opposition heat on the Saradha scam and Naradha sting, Trianamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday hit back at the Congress by raking up 2G and coal scams which surfaced during the UPA regime and accused the Modi government of undermining the federal structure.
Election Commission on Wednesday deployed more police observers for the fifth and penultimate phase of election to West Bengal assembly on April 30.
BJP chief Amit Shah on Wednesday took potshots at Congress-Left alliance while addressing a rally at south Kolkata.
Enraged over his act of tearing posters of a Trinamool Congress candidate, a 10 year-old-boy was beaten up in West Bengal's South 24-Parganas district.
Addressing a rally in East Midnapore, Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi hit out both at West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- PM Modi's speech in Varanasi
- Obama mocks Donald Trump at his final White House Correspondents' dinner
- When will labourers' condition improve in India?
- PM Modi launches Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana in Ballia
- AgustaWestland chopper scam: When will CBI interrogate ministers?
- Real Estate Bill comes into force from May 1
- Uttarakhand forest fire spreads to remote hill areas
- Delhi-Faizabad Express derails in Hapur, UP
- Only 1% Indians pay taxes, shows Govt data
- How the war is affecting children in Syria!
- Vijay Mallya resigns from Rajya Sabha
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- IAF chopper sprinkles water to douse Uttarakhand forest fires; Rajnath Singh reviews situation
- China may reconsider stand on Pakistani terrorists Hafiz Saeed, Masood Azhar?
- F-16s right platform for Pakistan's counter terrorism war: US
- In fight against impeachment, Brazil President Dilma Rousseff tries to win left support
- Uttarakhand forest fire: IAF's chopper MI-17 takes off from Nainital to drop water in affected areas - WATCH
- Inside pictures: Check out the best moments from Bipasha-Karan's wedding, reception
- See pic: NASA releases updated global map of Pluto!
- PM Narendra Modi launches 'Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana' on Labour Day, calls himself no. 1 labourer of India
- La Liga 2015-16: Barcelona beat Betis to remain top, Atletico, Real keep up pressure
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump calls California protesters 'thugs, criminals'
- Arvind Kejriwal questions PM Narendra Modi's qualification, report claims he scored 62.3% in MA
- WATCH: When Virat Kohli applauded David Warner's 'helicopter' shot during SRH-RCB match
- Uttarakhand forest fire: WATCH - How IAF's Mi-17 lifts water from Bhimtal lake to spray it over affected areas
- Priyanka Chopra attends White House Correspondents' dinner, gets clicked with President Obama
- AgustaWestland scam: Manohar Parrikar to place all details about deal before Parliament on May 4