With the recovery of one more body on Sunday, the toll in the landslides in West Bengal`s Darjeeling hills rose to 34, while at least 10 more people remained on the missing-list and were feared dead, an official said.
West Bengal News
London-based steel baron LN Mittal has joined the governing board of St Xavier's College in Kolkata where from he had done his graduation.
A woman allegedly strangulated her two-year-old son to death before committing suicide at Amta police station area of Howrah district, the police said.
A city court has issued an arrest warrant against Trinamool Congress Lok Sabha MP Prasun Banerjee for allegedly slapping a constable in January.
Against the backdrop of the assault on Calcutta University professors allegedly by Trinamool Congress activists, West Bengal Governor Keshri Nath Tripathi on Saturday said that teachers and students should sit together and find out ways to restore normalcy.
Thousands were left homeless due to floods resulting from heavy rainfall in West Bengal's Jalpaiguri city.
Collision between a truck and a goods train left one dead and three injured in Purulia district of West Bengal.
Abandoned allegedly by her parents, a newborn girl with an unusually large head was rescued on Friday from West Bengal`s Purulia district, police said.
Trinamool Congress Rajya Sabha member Ahmed Hassan Imran called it a routine enquiry after he was grilled by the CBI on Friday about his alleged financial transactions with the tainted Saradha group, an agency official said.
Calcutta University Vice chancellor Suranjan Das on Friday urged West Bengal government to take action against the assault of professors allegedly by Trinamool Chhatra Parishad activists, stating that it would be tough for him to act as the VC, if action was not taken on the basis of his report.
With the recovery of two more bodies, the toll in landslide-battered Darjeeling district has risen to 40 even as 16 people still missing.
The toll in the landslides-ravaged Darjeeling hills of West Bengal rose to 32, with two more bodies being recovered on Thursday as relief and rescue operations continued in full swing, officials said.
The Indian Army has deployed two medical and engineers task forces to carry out relief and rescue work in the landslide-hit Darjeeling hills of West Bengal where at least 30 people were killed and another dozen were reported missing, an official said on Thursday.
Ill-planned roads and neglect of indigenous erosion-control measures in hilly areas like in Darjeeling in West Bengal cause landslides in India, an expert said on Thursday.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday visited landslide-hit areas in Darjeeling district of West Bengal, where 38 people were killed.
Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju on Thursday visited the areas affected by landslides in Darjeeling district of West Bengal and said that the government would be releasing relief funds for those affected.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday handed out relief cheques worth Rs 4 lakh to families of the victims of the heavy rains and the resultant landslides in the Darjeeling district of the state.
The Army has joined rescue and relief operations in north Bengal where landslides have killed at least 38 people.
Water level on Thursday started receding from areas in Jalpaiguri district which was inundated due to sudden rise in water level in all major rivers and release of excess water of Teesta river after rains in upper reaches.
Rescue operations were underway in three subdivisions of Darjeeling district where multiple landslides have claimed 38 lives besides washing away highways and damaging homes.
Professors and non-teaching staffs of the Calcutta University (CU) were on Wednesday allegedly heckled by activists of the Trinamool Chhatra Parishad, the students' union of the ruling party, a charge which was denied by the latter.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday announced a compensation of Rs four lakh each to the families of the deceased in landslides in Darjeeling Hills.
CPI(M) leader Tapas Chatterjee on Wednesday joined Trinamool Congress and was expelled minutes after from the Left party, with which he was having a strained relationship soon after.
A 26-year-old man was today allegedly lynched after he attacked a woman who had reportedly spurned his advances at Begumpur in South 24 Parganas district, police said.
Two teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) have been rushed to Darjeeling to help in relief and rescue operations in the wake of landslides, a home ministry official said on Wednesday.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi Wednesday expressed pain over the loss of lives due to landslides in Darjeeling district of West Bengal and announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh each to the families of the deceased.
The iconic Victoria Memorial Hall (VMH) here has been inducted in TripAdvisor's 'Hall of Fame' making it the only museum in India to get thumbs up from three global travel-related sites and publications, its curator said on Wednesday.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday expressed her grief over the loss of lives after heavy rains and landslides struck Mirik and Kalimpong in the Darjeeling district in the state.
At least 400 people have been affected in Jalpaiguri district following release of excess water Teesta river after rains in upper reaches.
Ever thought of travelling on ropeway in Kolkata? The wait may get over soon as a company is all set to introduce Curvo, the world's first non-linear aerial ropeway, for second tier urban commutation in two sectors in the city along with the state government.
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Jharkhand: Girl commits suicide after parents refuse to build toilet in home
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Is Dawood Ibrahim threatening India?
- Is Dawood Ibrahim threatening India? Part 2
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Log on to upsc.gov.in to check UPSC Civil Services Examination 2014 Results
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Right to die: Belgian doctors grant euthanasia to 24-year-old depressed woman
- Is `paleo-vegan hybrid` diet the answer to all our dietary issues?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown
- Who does Ranveer Singh look best with?