West Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday said she was a supporter of the working class but was against bandh as it has no future but the Marxists were trying to survive by resorting to frequent bandhs.
West Bengal News
Accusing TMC government of using "anti-democratic measures" to foil the general strike called by central trade unions in West Bengal, the Left Front on Wednesday said that Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was opposed to the strike to present herself as a "valuable ally of BJP."
A day-long nationwide strike hit the normal life in West Bengal on Wednesday with impact on banking and transport services, while nearly 200 persons were arrested from different parts of the state and clashes occurred at some places between the Left and Trinamool workers.
CPI(M) and Trinamool Congress workers on Wednesday clashed here during the general strike called by trade unions.
Normal life was partially affected in West Bengal on Wednesday following the country-wide general strike called by 10 central trade unions against the policies of the BJP-led NDA government at the Centre.
The arrested Chhatra Parishad General Secretary of a West Midnapore college on Monday alleged before a court here of mental and physical torture on him and his family by police.
Gold jewellery worth around Rs 1.5 lakh, besides silver valuables, mementos and cash, was stolen from eminent sitar player Manilal Nag's Cossipore residence in the northern part of the city on Monday afternoon.
CID has taken over the probe into the case of missing question papers of the Teacher Eligibility Test (TET) in West Bengal.
Heavy rainfall has triggered flood-like situation in Jalpaiguri district of West Bengal.
Three persons including a self-styled 'godman' were arrested for allegedly cheating and molesting a woman, who went for consultation to his chamber, in the city, a police officer said.
Trade union CITU on Sunday warned the West Bengal government against attempts by the administration to thwart the nation-wide strike on September 2 even as senior Trinamool Congress leader Subrata Mukherjee said the state government will help people "foil" the strike.
At a time when the sensational Sheena Bora murder mystery is giving sleepless nights to Mumbai Police officials, another bizarre incident of an extra-marital affair and a subsequent violent end to the saga has emerged in West Bengal on Saturday.
BJP West Bengal unit president Rahul Sinha today said the party is contemplating to file a case in the Calcutta High Court to unravel the truth behind lynching of a student in Sabang college in Midnapore West district earlier this month.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee chaired a Tribal Advisory Council meeting here on Wednesday in which it was decided that tribesmen employed in tea gardens would be brought under the pension scheme.
Assam and West Bengal have witnessed high growth rate of Muslim population while the proportion of Sikhs and Buddhists across the country declined and no significant change was witnessed in the case of Christians and Jains.
Congress leaders on Wednesday met West Bengal Governor KN Tripathi and demanded a CBI probe into the killing of the party's student wing leader at Sabang area of West Midnapore last month.
Kolkata: An Uber cab driver was arrested in the city for allegedly misbehaving with a woman passenger, police said on Wednesday.
The candidates who have applied for the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination (JEHOM) 2015 can download their admit card from the official website.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday announced her government`s decision to withdraw over 100 cases against the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) activists and leaders initiated during their separatist movement.
Students agitating against alleged police assault vacated Presidency University vice chancellor Anuradha Lohia`s room on Tuesday, even as she admitted there was trust deficit between the institution and the students but refused to quit and denied being affiliated to any political party.
Lauding the people of Darjeeling for their initiative to make the Queen of Hills clean and green, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday announced that 50,000 toilets would be built in the hill district .
Two Maoist supporters were on Tuesday arrested from Balarampur town in the district on charges of extortion, a police official said.
The Trinamool Congress on Monday said it has postponed its delegation`s visit to FTII Pune to express solidarity with the agitating students.
Agitating Presidency University students on Monday apologised for their unruly behaviour during their protests demanding Vice Chancellor Anuradha Lohia`s resignation but refused to back down from their stand and said they would continue with the gherao.
A section of Presidency University students continued to demonstrate inside Vice Chancellor Anuradha Lohia`s office for the fourth day on Monday, demanding her resignation claiming non-action during an alleged police assault last week.
The CBI has registered five more cases in connection with the chit fund scam in Assam arising out of alleged financial bunglings by West Bengal-based Saradha group of companies.
BJP national secretary Siddharth Nath Singh on Sunday put a question mark on the intention of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who has formed a three-member delegation of Trinamool Congress MPs to visit Pune, where the students of Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) are protesting.
Train services in Barasat-Bangaon section of Sealdah division were affected on Monday after a group of passengers obstructed movement of trains demanding that male passengers be allowed to travel in Matribhumi ladies special trains.
Describing the passage of the stalled Goods and Services Tax Bill as a parameter to measure the maturity of India's political system, union finance minister Arun Jaitley on Sunday made a veiled attack on the Congress for "stalling the country's progress".
Calling for more economic activity in eastern states, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on Sunday said political differences between the BJP and the Trinamool Congress will not come in way of development of West Bengal as he lamented "obsolete policies" of past.
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- Watch: CCTV footage of open firing on a liquor shop in Jabalpur
- DNA: Manipur in boil, but where is the media!
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @12:00 pm
- LPG cylinders without subsidy now Rs. 25.50 less in Delhi
- Auto-taxi strike in Delhi on Wednesday against govt's new taxi services
- Fresh FIR against Radhe Maa on complaint by Dolly Bindra
- Delhi: Auto, taxi unions go off roads on September 2
- Bihar polls: PM Modi to address Parivartan rally in Bhagalpur today
- 10 trade unions observe nationwide strike
- Is the country really discriminating against Muslim population? - Part II
- Breaking: Watch the latest Bollywood news!
- Nitish Kumar responds to Narendra Modi's Parivartan rally
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Is Sheena Bora alive?
- Dinesh Karthik sues automobile designer Dilip Chhabria: Report
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- AAP MLA Pankaj Pushkar protests against Delhi Govt
- Ind vs SL, 3rd Test: Ferocious Ishant Sharma enters 200-wicket club
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred
- Viral video: Watch three-year-old attempting to break board for taekwondo belt
- 3rd Test: Virat Kohli & Co end 22-year drought in Sri Lanka, seal series 2-1