A woman allegedly strangulated her two-year-old son to death before committing suicide at Amta police station area of Howrah district, the police said.
West Bengal News
A city court has issued an arrest warrant against Trinamool Congress Lok Sabha MP Prasun Banerjee for allegedly slapping a constable in January.
Against the backdrop of the assault on Calcutta University professors allegedly by Trinamool Congress activists, West Bengal Governor Keshri Nath Tripathi on Saturday said that teachers and students should sit together and find out ways to restore normalcy.
Thousands were left homeless due to floods resulting from heavy rainfall in West Bengal's Jalpaiguri city.
Collision between a truck and a goods train left one dead and three injured in Purulia district of West Bengal.
Abandoned allegedly by her parents, a newborn girl with an unusually large head was rescued on Friday from West Bengal`s Purulia district, police said.
Trinamool Congress Rajya Sabha member Ahmed Hassan Imran called it a routine enquiry after he was grilled by the CBI on Friday about his alleged financial transactions with the tainted Saradha group, an agency official said.
Calcutta University Vice chancellor Suranjan Das on Friday urged West Bengal government to take action against the assault of professors allegedly by Trinamool Chhatra Parishad activists, stating that it would be tough for him to act as the VC, if action was not taken on the basis of his report.
With the recovery of two more bodies, the toll in landslide-battered Darjeeling district has risen to 40 even as 16 people still missing.
The toll in the landslides-ravaged Darjeeling hills of West Bengal rose to 32, with two more bodies being recovered on Thursday as relief and rescue operations continued in full swing, officials said.
The Indian Army has deployed two medical and engineers task forces to carry out relief and rescue work in the landslide-hit Darjeeling hills of West Bengal where at least 30 people were killed and another dozen were reported missing, an official said on Thursday.
Ill-planned roads and neglect of indigenous erosion-control measures in hilly areas like in Darjeeling in West Bengal cause landslides in India, an expert said on Thursday.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday visited landslide-hit areas in Darjeeling district of West Bengal, where 38 people were killed.
Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju on Thursday visited the areas affected by landslides in Darjeeling district of West Bengal and said that the government would be releasing relief funds for those affected.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday handed out relief cheques worth Rs 4 lakh to families of the victims of the heavy rains and the resultant landslides in the Darjeeling district of the state.
The Army has joined rescue and relief operations in north Bengal where landslides have killed at least 38 people.
Water level on Thursday started receding from areas in Jalpaiguri district which was inundated due to sudden rise in water level in all major rivers and release of excess water of Teesta river after rains in upper reaches.
Rescue operations were underway in three subdivisions of Darjeeling district where multiple landslides have claimed 38 lives besides washing away highways and damaging homes.
Professors and non-teaching staffs of the Calcutta University (CU) were on Wednesday allegedly heckled by activists of the Trinamool Chhatra Parishad, the students' union of the ruling party, a charge which was denied by the latter.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday announced a compensation of Rs four lakh each to the families of the deceased in landslides in Darjeeling Hills.
CPI(M) leader Tapas Chatterjee on Wednesday joined Trinamool Congress and was expelled minutes after from the Left party, with which he was having a strained relationship soon after.
A 26-year-old man was today allegedly lynched after he attacked a woman who had reportedly spurned his advances at Begumpur in South 24 Parganas district, police said.
Two teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) have been rushed to Darjeeling to help in relief and rescue operations in the wake of landslides, a home ministry official said on Wednesday.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi Wednesday expressed pain over the loss of lives due to landslides in Darjeeling district of West Bengal and announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh each to the families of the deceased.
The iconic Victoria Memorial Hall (VMH) here has been inducted in TripAdvisor's 'Hall of Fame' making it the only museum in India to get thumbs up from three global travel-related sites and publications, its curator said on Wednesday.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday expressed her grief over the loss of lives after heavy rains and landslides struck Mirik and Kalimpong in the Darjeeling district in the state.
At least 400 people have been affected in Jalpaiguri district following release of excess water Teesta river after rains in upper reaches.
Ever thought of travelling on ropeway in Kolkata? The wait may get over soon as a company is all set to introduce Curvo, the world's first non-linear aerial ropeway, for second tier urban commutation in two sectors in the city along with the state government.
At least 38 people have been killed in a series of landslides caused by heavy rain in the three sub-divisions of Darjeeling district since last night.
Senior CPI-M leader Gautam Deb on Tuesday kept alive the possibility of going with Congress in next year's assembly poll in West Bengal even though the CPI(M)'s last party congress has ruled it out.
- 1,400 teachers with fake degrees resign in Bihar
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Telangana CM gets Rs 5 crore bullet-proof luxury bus
- AIB: Swatchh Bharat-Clean India reality check
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Why Bal Bharti School cancelled admission of 60 students?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Telephone exchange case: CBI interrogates Dayanidhi Maran third time
- Now, another AAP MLA in fake degree row
- SECC will provide important input for policy makers: Arun Jaitley
- Kareena, Arjun Kapoor to start shooting for Balki's film by July end
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- DNA: All you need to know about Indian boxer Manoj Kumar
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Facebook doesn't pose threat: YouTube
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Log on to upsc.gov.in to check UPSC Civil Services Examination 2014 Results
- MPs won't get hike in salary and allowances, govt not willing to accept proposals
- Kareena Kapoor already thinks 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' biggest hit: Salman Khan
- Right to die: Belgian doctors grant euthanasia to 24-year-old depressed woman
- Seahorse-inspired robots to assist in surgeries
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar