West Bengal Governor KN Tripathi confirmed on Tuesday that state Election Commissioner SR Upadhyay has tendered his resignation.
West Bengal News
The Trinamool Congress on Monday demanded that the State Election Commission reverse its decision to postpone counting of votes at Bidhannagar and Asansol municipal corporations and threatened to launch a movement if it was not taken up on October 7 as scheduled.
Vice Chancellor of Kalyani University Ratanlal Hangloo sent his resignation to Chancellor and Governor KN Triptahy for the second time on Monday after his first attempt was turned down even as varsity authorities decided to revoke the fee hike decision.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday left for five-day visit to Bhutan, where she will hold talks with the leadership and attend a business conclave.
Mamata Banerjee will hold talks with the leadership and attend a business conclave
Amid mounting protests over allegations of violence and rampant malpractices during the local body polls, the West Bengal State Election Commission on Sunday decided to postpone the vote count indefinitely in three civic bodies.
The West Bengal State Election Commission on Sunday postponed counting of votes in the election to Bidhannagar and Asansol municipal corporations following allegations of large-scale violence, even as opposition parties demanded fresh elections.
The Trinamool Congress on Sunday "blamed" the CPI(M) for violence during yesterday's election to Bidhannagar and Asansol municipalities in West Bengal in a counter to the opposition parties' demand for re-election to the two civic bodies alleging loot of votes by the ruling party.
Tarikul Islam, the Bangladeshi terrorist arrested in connection with Burdhwan blast, is believed to have acquired Aadhaar card and Voter Card to project himself as an Indian citizenship and avoid being arrested by the NIA, official sources said here on Sunday.
Local body polls in four pockets of West Bengal on Saturday saw a turnout of about 70 percent, but were marred by violence, allegations of booth capturing and assault on media persons that left 15 of them bloodied and injured.
Polling for Asansol and Bidhan Nagar Municipal Corporations began Saturday morning by and large on a peaceful note barring one stray incident of bomb throwing in Asansol's Jamuria area.
Transgender women here have come together this year to organise a special Durga puja in an "attempt to re-claim social space" in the face of "ostracism".
Many political leaders and workers as well as policemen were injured as a protest programme organised by the Left Front sparked violence leading to pitched battles between the cadres and the security personnel in the heart of the West Bengal capital on Thursday.
CBI on Thursday carried out searches in 19 locations in West Bengal and Odisha in connection with multi-core chit fund scam.
Vice Chancellor of Kalyani University Ratanlal Hangloo on Thursday sent his resignation to Governor KN Tripathi after students protesting against fee hike kept him under a night-long gherao, but his offer to quit was not accepted.
The ruling Trinamool Congress and its arch rival Left Front are once again pitted against each other in next Saturday's election to two municipalities, which is deemed as the last great fight before next year's Assembly Election.
Visva-Bharati Vice Chancellor Sushanta Dattagupta, who was held guilty of administrative irregularities by the HRD Ministry resigned on Thursday.
Claiming constitutional positions "are at stake", West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Wednesday blasted the Modi government for CBI raids at the residence of Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh and wondered what would happen if a CM orders raids at the house of Prime Minister.
A six-member technical team of urban planning experts from the UK are in the city to help develop New Town as a smart city.
Scenes from earthquake-ravaged Nepal and India`s timely help to the neighbouring Himalayan nation will be depicted in clay at a Durga puja pandal here, and would impress upon visitors the importance of humanity, the organisers said.
West Bengal has submitted the application for a (Geographical Indication) GI tag for the rosogolla to stake claim on the sugary delicacy and beat Odisha, a minister said.
ED has registered a case to probe alleged hawala operations behind the over Rs 45 crore cash which was seized in Kolkata as part of a crackdown against lottery operatives channelling illegal funds for the Dawood Ibrahim gang.
The Left Front Tuesday alleged that the ruling Trinamool Congress was deliberately trying to create a "lawless situation" in West Bengal before the polls to municipal corporations of Bidhanagar and Asansol.
The Calcutta High Court has directed West Bengal government to produce documents relating to the Justice (retd) Shyamal Sen Commission that was set up by it to probe the Saradha chit fund scam and to repay investors.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday claimed credit for the initiative to provide Wi-Fi facilities at railway stations as she hailed Prime Minister Narendra Modi's 'Digital India' campaign.
The West Bengal government on Monday declassified cabinet papers on great freedom fighter Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose and allied issues from 1938 to 1947.
In a bid to make education inclusive, the St Xavier`s College here will set aside seats for survivors of trafficking from the 2016 academic session.
At least ten persons have died and four others have fallen sick allegedly after consuming spurious liquor in Tamluk of East Midnapore District of West Bengal.
To recover the investors' money, collected illegally by Saradha Realty, regulator Sebi has ordered attachment of 134 properties of the West Bengal-based firm and its chief Sudipta Sen to recover Rs 774.3 crore along with other dues and the applicable interest.
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Somnath Bharti's bail plea rejected after wife refuses mediation in SC
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Panel discussion on Azam Khan politicizing Dadri lynching case
- DNA: Odisha gets its first 100% solar-powered village
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Asaram adult books distributed in Chattisgarh schools
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- OMG! Ranveer Singh, Deepika Padukone spotted kissing each other!
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- ISL 2015: Kerala Blasters vs Northeast United FC - Preview
- NASA's Mars orbiter reveals stunning images of Acidalia Planitia featured in 'The Martian'
- BJP MLA Sangeet Som's controversial remarks in Dadri to be examined: DM
- Terrorism a serious threat to security, says CJ of Bangladesh