A constable of the West Bengal Police injured himself, while allegedly loading his rifle at the Bhawani Bhawan on Tuesday, the police said.
West Bengal News
Maoists would target important stations including, Howrah, Sealdah, Kolkata and metro rail stations in the city, Eastern Railway today said.
A youth was arrested after country-made pistols and live bullets were recovered from him at a metro station in southern part of the city, police said here today.
An elephant today trampled a man to death in Khuttimari forest near Dhupguri town here, officials said.
The Enforcement Directorate, probing the money trail of multi-crore Saradha chit fund scam, would issue the seventh attachment order within 10 days, an official of the agency said.
The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) has formed a Muslim wing of the outfit, apparently to cosy up to the minority community.
A half-burnt body of an owner of a rubber factory was recovered from inside the factory at Satgachi area of Dumdum in the northern fringes of the city, police said today.
A dawn-to-dusk bandh today affected life in Terai-Dooars area of Jalpaiguri, Alipurduar districts
Rising number of illegal dance bars in the city and its outskirts are playing a pivotal role in pushing women from West Bengal and other states into bar dancing and eventually into organised flesh trade, a senior police official said.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today said the administration was prepared to cope with any situation arising due to heavy rains which are predicted in the state in the next 48 hours.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Sunday said she was expecting a number of MoUs to be signed during her five-day visit to the United Kingdom.
Congress and BJP on Saturday questioned the utility of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's six-day London trip beginning tomorrow to woo investors and expressed doubts whether it would have a positive outcome for the state.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee will leave for the United Kingdom on Sunday on a five-day visit to showcase the state as an ideal destination for investment.
Three members of a family allegedly committed suicide in their residence at Jyangra in northern part of the city.
A bomb was found on the rail track between Park Circus and Sealdah South up main line in the city on Saturday, disrupting train services in the section for sometime.
The Calcutta High Court on Friday adjourned the hearing on the bail prayer of West Bengal Transport Minister Madan Mitra, arrested in connection with Saradha chit fund scam, till Monday on a plea by both his counsel and CBI.
Most of the estimated 600 people who want to migrant to India under the India-Bangladesh enclave swap agreement are seeking a compensation package for leaving their land and other properties in that country.
Calcutta High Court on Wednesday rejected a petition by Visva-Bharati University Vice-Chancellor Susanta Duttagupta challenging a show-cause notice issued to him by Union HRD Ministry to explain his conduct over allegations of financial and administrative irregularities.
Over 100 students from various educational institutes here on Wednesday expressed solidarity with the FTII students who have been protesting against the appointment of actor Gajendra Chauhan as its new chairman.
Communist Party of India (CPI) leader D Raja on Wednesday said West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's tirade against the Left, was a reflection of her being a third rate politician.
Kolkata's iconic monument Victoria Memorial Hall is being given a makeover and will soon turn into an open-space cultural centre besides allowing access to hidden parts of the iconic marble edifice.
About 50 persons fell sick today after having 'prasad' at a religious function at Hingalganj in North 24 Parganas district.
In an effort to counter the Trinamool Congress which held a massive martyrs' rally here on Tuesday, the West Bengal unit of the Congress organised a street corner protest demanding punishment to those responsible for the police firing that killed 13 Congress supporters on this day in 1993.
Opposition CPI-M on Tuesday hit out at ruling Trinamool Congress, saying it was a party without direction and ideology and was a conglomeration of former members or supporters of all sorts of parties.
Virtually sounding the bugle for next year's Assembly election in West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday challenged BJP, CPI-M and Congress to come together and said her party Trinamool Congress would go it alone and defeat them.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday denounced the BJP for spreading the “poison of communalism” in the state and said her Trinamool Congress will take on the “unethical alliance” of the BJP, Congress and CPI-M in the 2016 Assembly Elections.
Two women were allegedly gang-raped by a group of men in Malda district with one of them dying after she was severely beaten up for resisting the crime, police said.
The Trinomool Congress is on a hunger strike in Darjeeling to press for some demands of tea workers.
The Supreme Court on Monday sought West Bengal government`s response to CBI`s plea for the support of state police in conducting investigations into Saradha and non-Saradha chit fund scam cases coupled with three designated special courts to try these cases.
The prime suspect in the recent sensational shootout triggered by a bar brawl here that left one man dead has been arrested from near the Surat airport in Gujarat, police said on Monday.
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- PM Modi condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Woman among terrorists who attacked Gurdaspur police station
- Former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Will India ever give befitting reply?
- DNA: Gurdaspur terror attack- As it happened
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Terrorists came from Pakistan's Narowal area, say sources
- Gurdaspur terror attack: No one taken hostage, confirms IG Border Zone
- Lata Mangeshkar mourns former President APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- India mourns the death of former President APJ Adbul Kalam
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB
- Search for Alien life: China rushes to finish world's largest radio telescope
- 'Brothers': Karan Johar celebrates 8 million views!
- Yakub Memon likely to be buried at jail premises after execution, kin may not get his body
- Know what's making Sujoy Ghosh's 14-minute thriller 'Ahlaya' a big hit
- Arvind Kejriwal meets LK Advani at his residence
- Bollywood pays respect to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Watch: President Obama grooving to tunes of Lipala dance in Kenya