BJP's West Bengal chief Dilip Ghosh on Friday stoked controversy when he allegedly threatened to disconnect the water and electricity supply of TMC supporters and lynch them.
West Bengal News
Nine persons, including six children, were injured when unidentified persons hurled a bomb at a victory rally of Trinamool Congress at Kipalpur in North 24 Parganas district today.
After coming to power for the second time, the Mamata Banerjee led government on Friday announced a grant of interim relief to state government employees amounting to 10 percent of their band pay.
Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee was on Friday sworn in for a second consecutive term as West Bengal CM.
Trinamool Congress Chief Mamata Banerjee, who has virtually single-handedly steered her party to a resounding victory in West Bengal, has shored up her stature as a regional satrap but faces numerous challenges on the development front in her second stint as chief minister.
Trinamool Congress (TMC) Chief Mamata Banerjee was on Friday sworn-in as Chief Minister of West Bengal for a second term in the presence of a galaxy of political heavyweights including Bhutan Prime Minister Tshering Tobgay. Kolkata Mayor Shovan Chatterjee, former Indian cricketer Laxmi Ratan Shukla and singer Indranil Sen are among the 17 new faces in the 42-member ministry.
Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee has awarded ministerial berths to four of her party colleagues who were allegedly caught in the purported Narada sting operation.
Kolkata Mayor Sovan Chatterjee, former Indian cricketer Laxmi Ratan Shukla and noted singer Indranil Sen will be among 18 new faces to be sworn in as ministers as Mamata Banerjee takes oath again as West Bengal Chief Minister on Friday.
Both the Congress and the Left Front, which fought the Assembly poll together, have decided against participating in the ceremony.
CPI-M leader Sushanta Ghosh, who is being tried in connection with the skeleton recovery case, was on Thursday slapped in a local court here by a man who claimed that one of the skeletons dug out from near his (Ghosh's) ancestral home in Benachapra village was of his son.
Trinamool Congress' MLA from Taldangra Samir Chakraborty is the richest among all 294 members of the House.
Lambasting the Trinamool Congress for "unleashing terror to eliminate the opposition", the Left Front and the Congress on Wednesday collectively called for a massive people's movement to 're-establish democracy' in West Bengal.
Taking a jibe at the Congress, the BJP said on Wednesday that submission of signed declarations of loyalty on stamp papers by the opposition party's legislators in West Bengal was a sign of "slavery".
The CSE on Monday released a report which said that Indian bread manufacturers use potassium bromate and potassium iodate for treating flour while making bread.
The MLAs were also made to give an undertaking that they would not “get involved in any anti-party activity”.
The CBI on Tuesday conducted raids at five premises of Visva Bharati University in Santiniketan of West Bengal's Birbhum district in connection with alleged irregularities committed by its sacked vice chancellor Sushanta Dattagupta.
Sushanta Dattagupta was sacked in February this year over financial and administrative irregularities.
Angry over alleged attacks on their activists by the ruling Trinamool Congress after the assembly polls, West Bengal`s opposition Left Front, Congress and the BJP on Monday threatened to boycott the swearing-in ceremony of the Mamata Banerjee government, scheduled for May 27.
AWest Bengal's Left Front has decided to hit the streets against widespread post-poll violence in the state allegedly perpetrated by the ruling Trinamool Congress.
The BJP state president said he would request the central government not to send anybody to attend the swearing-in ceremony of Mamata Banerjee.
On Sunday, actor-turned BJP leader Rupa Ganguly was heckled and her convoy was attacked.
Ganguly's convoy was reportedly attacked in the Diamond Harbour area near Kolkata.
Among others on the guest list are Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, his Delhi counterpart Arvind Kejriwal and Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad Yadav.
Hours after West Bengal Assembly election results were out, four police personnel were injured and a police station was ransacked by a group of about 30 people, alleged to be TMC supporters, in North 24 Parganas district, following which 11 people were arrested.
Contesting the poll on its own, Mamata Banerjee-led TMC bagged 211 of the 294 seats at stake while Congress-Left combine got 76 seats.
The BJP on Thursday made history in Assam, decimating Congress which was dethroned in Kerala too even as Jayalalithaa and Mamata Banerjee romped home for a second consecutive term in Tamil Nadu and West Bengal.
Trinamool Congress on Thursday stormed back to power in West Bengal getting more than two-thirds majority.
Taken aback by the drubbing the Left Front-Congress alliance received in the West Bengal assembly polls, two opposition leaders, who played a key role in forging the unlikely pact, on Thursday blamed the "adverse political atmosphere" and the "selective transfer of BJP votes in specific constituencies" for the electoral debacle.
The Left has been decimated with it being projected to win just 29 seats – its worst performance ever.
- DNA: Today in History May 27, 2016
- Watch: Encounter between Indian Army and terrorists in Baramulla, J&K
- Advertisement hoarding falls on car in Hyderabad
- Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Caught on camera: 16-year-old boy stripped, thrashed in Delhi
- Delhi: Speeding car kills man sleeping on road divider
- Minor girl gang raped by 33 men in Brazil
- PM Modi's speech at 'Zara Muskura Do' event
- Delhi: Woman gives birth to baby in PCR van
- An overview of PM Modi's Meghalaya tour
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Mamata announces grant to state government employees
- Intermediate Examination (Arts) Result 2016 will be declared today on 29th May 2016 at 2:00 pm
- Class 10th (Matric) Exam Result 2016 will be declared today on 29th May 2016 at 12: 00 pm
- Putin vows Russian retaliation over US missile shield in Europe
- More than 2,000 boat migrants rescued off Italy, 45 dead
- Trump rules out US presidential debate with Sanders
- 'El Chapo' appeals extradition to US
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Watch how to make Bread Chaat for Breakfast: Learn recipe
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan
- BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016 : BSEB Bihar Board Intermediate Result 2016, BSEB 12th Vocational Results to be declared at biharboard.bih.nic.in, www.biharboard.net
- US snubs Pakistan, says India's entry to nuclear club is not about arms