Two teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) have been rushed to Darjeeling to help in relief and rescue operations in the wake of landslides, a home ministry official said on Wednesday.
West Bengal News
Prime Minister Narendra Modi Wednesday expressed pain over the loss of lives due to landslides in Darjeeling district of West Bengal and announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh each to the families of the deceased.
The iconic Victoria Memorial Hall (VMH) here has been inducted in TripAdvisor's 'Hall of Fame' making it the only museum in India to get thumbs up from three global travel-related sites and publications, its curator said on Wednesday.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday expressed her grief over the loss of lives after heavy rains and landslides struck Mirik and Kalimpong in the Darjeeling district in the state.
At least 400 people have been affected in Jalpaiguri district following release of excess water Teesta river after rains in upper reaches.
Ever thought of travelling on ropeway in Kolkata? The wait may get over soon as a company is all set to introduce Curvo, the world's first non-linear aerial ropeway, for second tier urban commutation in two sectors in the city along with the state government.
The toll in landslides triggered by incessant rain in West Bengal's Darjeeling hills has risen to 28, an official said on Wednesday.
Senior CPI-M leader Gautam Deb on Tuesday kept alive the possibility of going with Congress in next year's assembly poll in West Bengal even though the CPI(M)'s last party congress has ruled it out.
A medical college student here was allegedly molested by two of her seniors affiliated to the students' wing of the West Bengal's ruling Trinamool Congress, police said on Tuesday.
The West Bengal government on Tuesday said it would appoint two lakh people in various positions like teachers and Group-C, Group-D staff in government offices in the state.
Fake currency with a face value of Rs 10.14 lakh has been seized from a man at Rathbari area in Malda town, a police officer said on Tuesday.
Union Minister of State for Agriculture Sanjeev Baliyan on Monday said that there should be an "investigation" into the alleged attempt to conduct dialysis of a dog at the state-run super-speciality SSKM hospital here, which was opposed by the hospital's director.
An ITI aspirant who had a dog's photo on his admit card was today detained for interrogation by the police as part of the inquiry into how the animal's photo came into his admit card.
Union minister and BJP leader Sanjeev Balyan on Monday demanded a probe into allegations of arrangements being made for a dog to undergo dialysis at West Bengal's government-run SSKM Hospital.
The authorities of the Scottish Church College on Monday revoked their dress code advisory which had asked girl students not to wear above knee-length skirts.
Birbhum district Trinamool Congress president Anubrata Mondal, accused of delivering a hate speech in July last year at Parui, was on Monday granted bail by a local court.
Actor-turned Trinamool Congress MP Tapas Pal was on Monday granted bail by a Nadia district court in connection with his alleged "shoot and rape" remarks against opposition party supporters and women last year, which had created a nationwide outrage.
Recommending students to come in "unostentatious dress", the city's Scottish Church College has proscribed round-neck t-shirts and short and slit skirts, sparking off condemnation from students and academicians.
Former Trinamool Congress general secretary Mukul Roy will float his own political party after Eid, his aide and expelled party leader Dipak Ghosh said on Sunday. The former union minister, however, declined to confirm the development.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Sunday ordered a CID probe into the alleged question paper leak in the Industrial Training Institutes Entrance Examination, which was cancelled for the day and deferred to July 5.
A Congress legislator from West Bengal on Sunday courted controversy after he dubbed the state police as "dogs" and warned them against becoming "touts" of the ruling Trinamool Congress.
Six members of a family were killed and two others injured in an accident in Nadia district when they were returning after cremation of one of their relatives on Sunday, police said.
The entrance test for the Industrial Training Institutes (ITI) in West Bengal, scheduled on Sunday, was cancelled after reports that examination papers were leaked in several districts, a state minister said.
Six members of a suspected international smuggling racket were arrested with an estimated US$15 million of snake venom hidden in school bags close to Bhutan border in eastern India, officials said Sunday.
An ITI aspirant was in for a shock when he found a photo of a dog on his admit card.
The CPI(M) is ready for issue-based cooperation with Congress but ruled out any alliance outside Parliament saying it will have "nothing to do" with a party which still follows neo-liberal policies.
Socialist Unity Centre of India (Communist) party`s student arm, DSO on Saturday staged a protest outside Raj Bhavan against External Affair Minister Sushma Swaraj and Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje over the Lalit Modi row.
Landslides near Rambhi, in the outskirts of Siliguri on way to the hills, have disrupted the road traffic between Gangtok and the North Bengal hub.
Stating that people have the final say in a democracy, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday said her party Trinamool Congress would win next year's Assembly Election riding on the development work done in the last four years.
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Watch: Fast n Facts @ 4 pm
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with India's first NBA player Satnam Singh
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order
- Warning! Plastic rice from China now on sale in India
- Bombay HC allows Nestle to export Maggi noodles
- Exclusive: Ravi Shankar Prasad talks about Digital India Programme
- SIC directs government to give info on Priyanka Gandhi Vadra’s land within ten days
- Subhash Kapoor's Guddu Rangeela in the midst of the ‘Mata Ka Email’ song controversy
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with cast of 'Guddu Rangeela'
- DNA: Analysis of Dayanidhi Maran's illegal telephone exchange case
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Camera Day: Celebrate the art of photography and go click-happy!
- Shahid Kapoor and the women in his life
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Japan bullet train suicide fire: Two killed after cardiac arrest
- End of road for Ravindra Jadeja?
- Congress furnishes new documents on Dholpur Palace ownership
- Bangladeshi newspaper ridicules Indian cricketers with distasteful advertisement
- DU releases second cut-off, admissions remain open for most courses