In a major reshuffle in IPS cadre, five senior officials have been transferred to various positions in West Bengal, Home Department officials said.
West Bengal News
Protests continued to rock NIT Durgapur in West Bengal on Thursday as meetings with officials of the Union HRD Ministry failed to dampen the unrest that started after the death of a student allegedly due to negligence and ineptitude of the institute. The agitating students have sought President Pranab Mukherjee's intervention.
Addressing a Muslim rally, Mamata said that Aamir spoke his mind and nobody has the right to ask him to leave the country.
It is expected that Mamata will speak on the raging issue of intolerance during her address at the rally.
The bank auhthorities were not available for comment.
The three injured personnel were taken to hospital with blood oozing out and were now stable, the officer said, adding the bikers escaped in the ensuing confusion.
Kolkata-based realtor Siddha Group on Monday said it was developing the world's longest skywalk.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has invited her Bihar and Delhi counterparts Nitish Kumar and Arvind Kejriwal to the Bengal Global Business Summit here on January 7 next year.
The death last Wednesday of an engineering student at National Institute of Technology (NIT) at Durgapur, allegedly due to negligence and ineptitude of the institute, has led to major student unrest which evoked intervention by the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development.
Three days after a 16-year-old girl was allegedly gang-raped and killed in West Bengal's South 24-Parganas district, police formally pressed charges of rape.
Sumita Paul, a middle aged woman, was pillion riding on her son Arghya's motorbike on the way from her Burdwan town home to a temple in Guskara when the two-wheeler hit a hump and she fell down at a place near Oregram.
The attack, in which Dome sustained injuries on his hands, came a day after CPI-M state secretary Surjya Kanta Mishra was heckled by people.
Saradha chit fund scam accused Madan Mitra surrendered and was remanded to 14-days judicial custody.
TMC said that West Bengal Chief Minister's attendance at the oath-taking ceremony of Nitish Kumar would be as a mark of "protest against authoritarian attitude of the Centre".
Opposition parties in West Bengal on Thursday hailed the cancellation of the bail to Trinamool Congress leader Madan Mitra.
In pursuance of the India-Bangladesh Land Boundary Agreement, the first batch of 19 families from the erstwhile Indian enclaves in Bangladesh, who had opted to stay in India, on Thursday entered West Bengal's Cooch Behar district.
On a day when the Calcutta High Court cancelled his bail and ordered him to surrender, Trinamool Congress lawmaker and Saradha scam accused Madan Mitra on Thursday asserted that a court always metes out justice.
Calcutta High Court on Thursday cancelled the bail of Trinamool Congress leader and former minister Madan Mitra, accused in the multi-crore rupees Saradha chit fund scam, and asked him to surrender.
A forty-year-old man died on Tuesday after he was allegedly pushed off from a local train by a lady RPF constable in between Uttarpara and Hind Motor stations in the district, triggering massive protests and rail blockades along the Howrah-Bandel main line section.
To push its solar programme forward, the West Bengal government will install a 110-foot-high solar dome here for catching maximum daylight, a minister said on Tuesday.
The Calcutta High Court on Tuesday adjourned till tomorrow hearing on the CBI petition for cancellation of state Transport Minister Madan Mitra's bail plea.
The catastrophic defeat of the BJP in the Bihar Assembly poll might have resulted in the cancellation of party president Amit Shah's much-touted rally, but the party's state leadership asserted that the drubbing would only have a 'temporary' impact.
Apparently, Zafar Khan is the brother of Akhtar Khan, who was last week arrested by the police on similar charges.
Former West Bengal chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Saturday flagged off a jatha (march) by 113 Left organisations across the state with an eye to intensifying mass contact ahead of next year's assembly polls.
Asked whether the arrested person is a Pakitan citizen or is from the city, the STF officer said, "He can be a Pakistani but it's still under investigation... We are going through his documents."
Condemning the terror attacks in Paris and Beirut, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday described terrorism as the world's biggest enemy.
A sub-inspector of police in Cooch Behar district was killed and another injured tonight in a clash with gamblers, police officials said.
Kali Puja was celebrated in West Bengal with pomp and religious fervour amid tight security on Tuesday, a day ahead of Deepavali.
Amid chanting of hymns and a plethora of glimmering fireworks, West Bengal celebrated Kali Puja on Tuesday with pomp and religious fervour.
TMC leader Sultan Ahmed said that Bihar verdict has shown that "politics of hatred, intolerance and polarisation" will no longer bear results in Indian politics.
- DNA: Analysis of Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' remark
- DNA: Analysis of Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' remark- Part 2
- DNA: List of World's 'most racially intolerant' countries
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- DNA: Reality check on how Muslims are treated around the world
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- DNA: 12 years on, Nadimarg Kashmiri Pandits massacre still rankles
- Why did Aamir Khan talk about 'intolerance' before Parliament Session?
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- RJD-JD(U) legislators forcibly occupy govt bungalows in Bihar
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Details out: What Rahul Gandhi did during his two-month-long sabbatical
- When Sushma Swaraj was in charge of Modi government
- Ind vs SA, 3rd Test: Hosts look to trap Proteas in spin web
- Pakistani terror convict gets 40-year jail by US court
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists
- Intolerance issue: AR Rahman expresses solidarity with Aamir Khan, says he too faced similar situation
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Salt water bath: Know why it's good for your health!