West Bengal Government has sounded a 'high alert' in south Bengal following forecast of strong wind tomorrow coupled with heavy to very heavy rain under the influence of deep depression over North East Bay of Bengal.
West Bengal News
Most of India's urbanisation needs can be met if 4-5 per cent of its agricultural land is spared but the "passion" about losing land to industrialisation is making it difficult to pass the controversial Land Acquisition Bill in India, a senior World Bank official has said.
In Mamata Banerjee's West Bengal, teachers are steadily turning out to be 'punching bags', with many calling the frequent attacks on them a reflection of the growing lawlessness in the state.
Trinamool Congress Lok Sabha MP Shatabdi Roy on Wednesday sent a representative to the office of the Enforcement Directorate here as she could not appear owing to the ongoing Parliament session.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has invited British Prime Minister David Cameron to revisit Kolkata soon, describing the city "a true getaway to the east".
Over 200 houses were damaged, scores of people were rendered homeless and nine persons were injured as storms lashed pockets of three districts of West Bengal since Tuesday night, reports from the districts said on Wednesday.
A constable of the West Bengal Police injured himself, while allegedly loading his rifle at the Bhawani Bhawan on Tuesday, the police said.
Maoists would target important stations including, Howrah, Sealdah, Kolkata and metro rail stations in the city, Eastern Railway today said.
A youth was arrested after country-made pistols and live bullets were recovered from him at a metro station in southern part of the city, police said here today.
An elephant today trampled a man to death in Khuttimari forest near Dhupguri town here, officials said.
The Enforcement Directorate, probing the money trail of multi-crore Saradha chit fund scam, would issue the seventh attachment order within 10 days, an official of the agency said.
The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) has formed a Muslim wing of the outfit, apparently to cosy up to the minority community.
A half-burnt body of an owner of a rubber factory was recovered from inside the factory at Satgachi area of Dumdum in the northern fringes of the city, police said today.
A dawn-to-dusk bandh today affected life in Terai-Dooars area of Jalpaiguri, Alipurduar districts
Rising number of illegal dance bars in the city and its outskirts are playing a pivotal role in pushing women from West Bengal and other states into bar dancing and eventually into organised flesh trade, a senior police official said.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today said the administration was prepared to cope with any situation arising due to heavy rains which are predicted in the state in the next 48 hours.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Sunday said she was expecting a number of MoUs to be signed during her five-day visit to the United Kingdom.
Congress and BJP on Saturday questioned the utility of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's six-day London trip beginning tomorrow to woo investors and expressed doubts whether it would have a positive outcome for the state.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee will leave for the United Kingdom on Sunday on a five-day visit to showcase the state as an ideal destination for investment.
Three members of a family allegedly committed suicide in their residence at Jyangra in northern part of the city.
A bomb was found on the rail track between Park Circus and Sealdah South up main line in the city on Saturday, disrupting train services in the section for sometime.
The Calcutta High Court on Friday adjourned the hearing on the bail prayer of West Bengal Transport Minister Madan Mitra, arrested in connection with Saradha chit fund scam, till Monday on a plea by both his counsel and CBI.
Most of the estimated 600 people who want to migrant to India under the India-Bangladesh enclave swap agreement are seeking a compensation package for leaving their land and other properties in that country.
Calcutta High Court on Wednesday rejected a petition by Visva-Bharati University Vice-Chancellor Susanta Duttagupta challenging a show-cause notice issued to him by Union HRD Ministry to explain his conduct over allegations of financial and administrative irregularities.
Over 100 students from various educational institutes here on Wednesday expressed solidarity with the FTII students who have been protesting against the appointment of actor Gajendra Chauhan as its new chairman.
Communist Party of India (CPI) leader D Raja on Wednesday said West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's tirade against the Left, was a reflection of her being a third rate politician.
Kolkata's iconic monument Victoria Memorial Hall is being given a makeover and will soon turn into an open-space cultural centre besides allowing access to hidden parts of the iconic marble edifice.
About 50 persons fell sick today after having 'prasad' at a religious function at Hingalganj in North 24 Parganas district.
In an effort to counter the Trinamool Congress which held a massive martyrs' rally here on Tuesday, the West Bengal unit of the Congress organised a street corner protest demanding punishment to those responsible for the police firing that killed 13 Congress supporters on this day in 1993.
Opposition CPI-M on Tuesday hit out at ruling Trinamool Congress, saying it was a party without direction and ideology and was a conglomeration of former members or supporters of all sorts of parties.
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- PM Modi condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- Former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away
- DNA: Gurdaspur terror attack- As it happened
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- VVIPs, people pay last respects to Dr Kalam at his Delhi residence
- Lata Mangeshkar mourns former President APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- The life and times of Dr APJ Abdul Kalam!
- India mourns the death of former President APJ Adbul Kalam
- DNA: How prepared is our police force to face terror attacks in future?
- Special: Zee News pays tribute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Bollywood pays respect to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- APJ Abdul Kalam: Not Hindu, Not Muslim – Death of an 'Indian'
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- How APJ Abdul Kalam changed India: 10 most inspirational quotes
- APJ Abdul Kalam: This was his last moment...
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency
- The 'funny guy' in APJ Abdul Kalam's life
- India sheds a tear for 'people's president' APJ Abdul Kalam