The Indian Army has deployed two medical and engineers task forces to carry out relief and rescue work in the landslide-hit Darjeeling hills of West Bengal where at least 30 people were killed and another dozen were reported missing, an official said on Thursday.
West Bengal News
Ill-planned roads and neglect of indigenous erosion-control measures in hilly areas like in Darjeeling in West Bengal cause landslides in India, an expert said on Thursday.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday visited landslide-hit areas in Darjeeling district of West Bengal, where 38 people were killed.
Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju on Thursday visited the areas affected by landslides in Darjeeling district of West Bengal and said that the government would be releasing relief funds for those affected.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday handed out relief cheques worth Rs 4 lakh to families of the victims of the heavy rains and the resultant landslides in the Darjeeling district of the state.
The Army has joined rescue and relief operations in north Bengal where landslides have killed at least 38 people.
Water level on Thursday started receding from areas in Jalpaiguri district which was inundated due to sudden rise in water level in all major rivers and release of excess water of Teesta river after rains in upper reaches.
Rescue operations were underway in three subdivisions of Darjeeling district where multiple landslides have claimed 38 lives besides washing away highways and damaging homes.
Professors and non-teaching staffs of the Calcutta University (CU) were on Wednesday allegedly heckled by activists of the Trinamool Chhatra Parishad, the students' union of the ruling party, a charge which was denied by the latter.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday announced a compensation of Rs four lakh each to the families of the deceased in landslides in Darjeeling Hills.
CPI(M) leader Tapas Chatterjee on Wednesday joined Trinamool Congress and was expelled minutes after from the Left party, with which he was having a strained relationship soon after.
A 26-year-old man was today allegedly lynched after he attacked a woman who had reportedly spurned his advances at Begumpur in South 24 Parganas district, police said.
Two teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) have been rushed to Darjeeling to help in relief and rescue operations in the wake of landslides, a home ministry official said on Wednesday.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi Wednesday expressed pain over the loss of lives due to landslides in Darjeeling district of West Bengal and announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh each to the families of the deceased.
The iconic Victoria Memorial Hall (VMH) here has been inducted in TripAdvisor's 'Hall of Fame' making it the only museum in India to get thumbs up from three global travel-related sites and publications, its curator said on Wednesday.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday expressed her grief over the loss of lives after heavy rains and landslides struck Mirik and Kalimpong in the Darjeeling district in the state.
At least 400 people have been affected in Jalpaiguri district following release of excess water Teesta river after rains in upper reaches.
Ever thought of travelling on ropeway in Kolkata? The wait may get over soon as a company is all set to introduce Curvo, the world's first non-linear aerial ropeway, for second tier urban commutation in two sectors in the city along with the state government.
At least 38 people have been killed in a series of landslides caused by heavy rain in the three sub-divisions of Darjeeling district since last night.
Senior CPI-M leader Gautam Deb on Tuesday kept alive the possibility of going with Congress in next year's assembly poll in West Bengal even though the CPI(M)'s last party congress has ruled it out.
A medical college student here was allegedly molested by two of her seniors affiliated to the students' wing of the West Bengal's ruling Trinamool Congress, police said on Tuesday.
The West Bengal government on Tuesday said it would appoint two lakh people in various positions like teachers and Group-C, Group-D staff in government offices in the state.
Fake currency with a face value of Rs 10.14 lakh has been seized from a man at Rathbari area in Malda town, a police officer said on Tuesday.
Union Minister of State for Agriculture Sanjeev Baliyan on Monday said that there should be an "investigation" into the alleged attempt to conduct dialysis of a dog at the state-run super-speciality SSKM hospital here, which was opposed by the hospital's director.
An ITI aspirant who had a dog's photo on his admit card was today detained for interrogation by the police as part of the inquiry into how the animal's photo came into his admit card.
Union minister and BJP leader Sanjeev Balyan on Monday demanded a probe into allegations of arrangements being made for a dog to undergo dialysis at West Bengal's government-run SSKM Hospital.
The authorities of the Scottish Church College on Monday revoked their dress code advisory which had asked girl students not to wear above knee-length skirts.
Birbhum district Trinamool Congress president Anubrata Mondal, accused of delivering a hate speech in July last year at Parui, was on Monday granted bail by a local court.
Actor-turned Trinamool Congress MP Tapas Pal was on Monday granted bail by a Nadia district court in connection with his alleged "shoot and rape" remarks against opposition party supporters and women last year, which had created a nationwide outrage.
Recommending students to come in "unostentatious dress", the city's Scottish Church College has proscribed round-neck t-shirts and short and slit skirts, sparking off condemnation from students and academicians.
- Shahid-Mira's wedding card is out!
- I dream of a Digital India where knowledge is strength: PM Modi
- No mediation in rape cases, rules Supreme Court
- Greece becomes first developed nation to default on IMF
- Nehru's Wikipedia page 'edited' by Govt department, alleges Congress
- Bajrangi Bhaijaan is really special for Salman Khan
- ISI funding NGOs in India to promote terror: RAW
- Amarnath Yatra begins amid tight security arrangements
- Cases of drunken driving on the rise in Mumbai
- DNA: This genius farmer in Raipur builds drone using garbage dump!
- Court Stops the Release of Sunny Deol's film Mohalla Assi
- Lalit Modi claims Varun Gandhi offered to help settle matters with Sonia
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Bihar polls: PM Modi to address first election rally in Muzaffarpur on July 25
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with Jwala Gutta
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Amit Shah inaugurates BJP's national training workshop
- Congress demands Sushma Swaraj's resignation over Lalit Modi's job offer to her husband
- Amarnath yatra gets underway as first batch flagged-off
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Gear up for an amazing celestial show as Venus, Jupiter to converge!
- Top 5 reasons to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan'!
- Modi govt politically dishonest, has no values: Govindacharya
- July 7 wedding: What will Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput wear on D-day?
- Indian Ocean cannot be backyard of India: China