Jadavpur University authorities on Friday sought a report from its anti-ragging committee on the issue of alleged ragging of two of its students.
West Bengal News
The Calcutta High Court on Friday allowed sex workers of Sonagachi, considered to be Asia's largest red light area, to take on rent a community hall for organising their Durga Puja.
Just days after claiming that Sheena Bora and Mikhail were his children, Siddharth Das - Indrani Mukerjea’s former live-in partner - has gone missing, reports claimed on Thursday.
A prime accused in the Burdwan blast Alima Bibi, currently lodged in Alipore women jail, has delivered a baby boy, jail officials said on Thursday.
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Thursday issued a notice to the West Bengal government over alleged police assault on women protesters at a rally organised by the Left Front last week.
West Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday said she was a supporter of the working class but was against bandh as it has no future but the Marxists were trying to survive by resorting to frequent bandhs.
Accusing TMC government of using "anti-democratic measures" to foil the general strike called by central trade unions in West Bengal, the Left Front on Wednesday said that Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was opposed to the strike to present herself as a "valuable ally of BJP."
A day-long nationwide strike hit the normal life in West Bengal on Wednesday with impact on banking and transport services, while nearly 200 persons were arrested from different parts of the state and clashes occurred at some places between the Left and Trinamool workers.
CPI(M) and Trinamool Congress workers on Wednesday clashed here during the general strike called by trade unions.
Normal life was partially affected in West Bengal on Wednesday following the country-wide general strike called by 10 central trade unions against the policies of the BJP-led NDA government at the Centre.
The arrested Chhatra Parishad General Secretary of a West Midnapore college on Monday alleged before a court here of mental and physical torture on him and his family by police.
Gold jewellery worth around Rs 1.5 lakh, besides silver valuables, mementos and cash, was stolen from eminent sitar player Manilal Nag's Cossipore residence in the northern part of the city on Monday afternoon.
CID has taken over the probe into the case of missing question papers of the Teacher Eligibility Test (TET) in West Bengal.
Heavy rainfall has triggered flood-like situation in Jalpaiguri district of West Bengal.
Three persons including a self-styled 'godman' were arrested for allegedly cheating and molesting a woman, who went for consultation to his chamber, in the city, a police officer said.
Trade union CITU on Sunday warned the West Bengal government against attempts by the administration to thwart the nation-wide strike on September 2 even as senior Trinamool Congress leader Subrata Mukherjee said the state government will help people "foil" the strike.
At a time when the sensational Sheena Bora murder mystery is giving sleepless nights to Mumbai Police officials, another bizarre incident of an extra-marital affair and a subsequent violent end to the saga has emerged in West Bengal on Saturday.
BJP West Bengal unit president Rahul Sinha today said the party is contemplating to file a case in the Calcutta High Court to unravel the truth behind lynching of a student in Sabang college in Midnapore West district earlier this month.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee chaired a Tribal Advisory Council meeting here on Wednesday in which it was decided that tribesmen employed in tea gardens would be brought under the pension scheme.
Assam and West Bengal have witnessed high growth rate of Muslim population while the proportion of Sikhs and Buddhists across the country declined and no significant change was witnessed in the case of Christians and Jains.
Congress leaders on Wednesday met West Bengal Governor KN Tripathi and demanded a CBI probe into the killing of the party's student wing leader at Sabang area of West Midnapore last month.
Kolkata: An Uber cab driver was arrested in the city for allegedly misbehaving with a woman passenger, police said on Wednesday.
The candidates who have applied for the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination (JEHOM) 2015 can download their admit card from the official website.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday announced her government`s decision to withdraw over 100 cases against the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) activists and leaders initiated during their separatist movement.
Students agitating against alleged police assault vacated Presidency University vice chancellor Anuradha Lohia`s room on Tuesday, even as she admitted there was trust deficit between the institution and the students but refused to quit and denied being affiliated to any political party.
Lauding the people of Darjeeling for their initiative to make the Queen of Hills clean and green, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday announced that 50,000 toilets would be built in the hill district .
Two Maoist supporters were on Tuesday arrested from Balarampur town in the district on charges of extortion, a police official said.
The Trinamool Congress on Monday said it has postponed its delegation`s visit to FTII Pune to express solidarity with the agitating students.
Agitating Presidency University students on Monday apologised for their unruly behaviour during their protests demanding Vice Chancellor Anuradha Lohia`s resignation but refused to back down from their stand and said they would continue with the gherao.
A section of Presidency University students continued to demonstrate inside Vice Chancellor Anuradha Lohia`s office for the fourth day on Monday, demanding her resignation claiming non-action during an alleged police assault last week.
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Teachers' Day speech: PM Modi's 10 'shiksha mantra' to students
- Indrani Mukerjea admits to role in Sheena Bora murder
- Indrani Mukerjea admits she killed Sheena Bora
- Atul Anjan apologizes to supporters for earlier statement on condom ad
- 4 terrorists killed in encounter in Jammu and Kashmir
- Watch: Bollywood's top breaking news
- Top 25 news @10am
- Top 10 news @7am
- DNA: Analysis of Sheena Bora's dairy
- Exclusive chat with 'Welcome Back' star cast
- Hurriyat's Geelani writes 'secret' letter to Nawaz Sharif
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda
- Sheena Bora on Indrani Mukerjea in her diary: `I hate my mother...she is a witch`
- Inside view: Hillary Clinton e-mails reveal what US thinks of India
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- S Sreesanth praises Virat Kohli for backing 'suspended' Ishant Sharma
- PM Narendra Modi gives 'Buddha mantra' for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Syrian boy, 3, lying dead on Turkish beach: A picture that moved the world!
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- My mother is like Indrani Mukerjea, she likes having sex with many men: Delhi school boy
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- 'Porn star' Sunny Leone's vulgar condom advt is no art: Atul Anjan
- Watch: Do high-class escorts fall under the 'sex worker' category?