One more body was on Monday night found in the landslide-battered Darjeeling district, taking the toll to 42.
West Bengal News
Describing the spate of deaths linked to the Vyapam scam as "cold-blooded murders", West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday said the Trinamool Congress would raise the issue during the upcoming monsoon of Parliament and demanded a Supreme Court-monitored probe.
Nearly a decade after he gave a slip to enforcement agencies, law finally caught up with seer Durgesh Maharaj of Badrinath, who in his earlier avatar of a postal agent had allegedly duped people of Rs 2.63 crore by selling forged Kisan Vikas Patras.
CID on Monday arrested a second person from Kalyani in Nadia district for his alleged involvement in the leaking of questions in the entrance examination for Industrial Training Institute (ITI).
One more person was found dead in the landslide-battered Darjeeling district, taking the toll to 41.
A woman, who had accused the police of torturing her, has been remanded in judicial custody along with five others after they were arrested for allegedly blocking a highway and attacking the police with bombs.
One person was killed and three others were injured when the MUV carrying them rolled down around 100 feet from NH-55 near Kharey Khola in Kurseong subdivision, the police said on Monday.
Ill-planned roads and neglect of indigenous erosion-control measures coupled with haphazard construction in hilly areas triggered the massive landslide in Darjeeling last week, an expert said on Monday.
With the recovery of one more body on Sunday, the toll in the landslides in West Bengal`s Darjeeling hills rose to 34, while at least 10 more people remained on the missing-list and were feared dead, an official said.
London-based steel baron LN Mittal has joined the governing board of St Xavier's College in Kolkata where from he had done his graduation.
A woman allegedly strangulated her two-year-old son to death before committing suicide at Amta police station area of Howrah district, the police said.
A city court has issued an arrest warrant against Trinamool Congress Lok Sabha MP Prasun Banerjee for allegedly slapping a constable in January.
Against the backdrop of the assault on Calcutta University professors allegedly by Trinamool Congress activists, West Bengal Governor Keshri Nath Tripathi on Saturday said that teachers and students should sit together and find out ways to restore normalcy.
Thousands were left homeless due to floods resulting from heavy rainfall in West Bengal's Jalpaiguri city.
Collision between a truck and a goods train left one dead and three injured in Purulia district of West Bengal.
Abandoned allegedly by her parents, a newborn girl with an unusually large head was rescued on Friday from West Bengal`s Purulia district, police said.
Trinamool Congress Rajya Sabha member Ahmed Hassan Imran called it a routine enquiry after he was grilled by the CBI on Friday about his alleged financial transactions with the tainted Saradha group, an agency official said.
Calcutta University Vice chancellor Suranjan Das on Friday urged West Bengal government to take action against the assault of professors allegedly by Trinamool Chhatra Parishad activists, stating that it would be tough for him to act as the VC, if action was not taken on the basis of his report.
With the recovery of two more bodies, the toll in landslide-battered Darjeeling district has risen to 40 even as 16 people still missing.
The toll in the landslides-ravaged Darjeeling hills of West Bengal rose to 32, with two more bodies being recovered on Thursday as relief and rescue operations continued in full swing, officials said.
The Indian Army has deployed two medical and engineers task forces to carry out relief and rescue work in the landslide-hit Darjeeling hills of West Bengal where at least 30 people were killed and another dozen were reported missing, an official said on Thursday.
Ill-planned roads and neglect of indigenous erosion-control measures in hilly areas like in Darjeeling in West Bengal cause landslides in India, an expert said on Thursday.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday visited landslide-hit areas in Darjeeling district of West Bengal, where 38 people were killed.
Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju on Thursday visited the areas affected by landslides in Darjeeling district of West Bengal and said that the government would be releasing relief funds for those affected.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday handed out relief cheques worth Rs 4 lakh to families of the victims of the heavy rains and the resultant landslides in the Darjeeling district of the state.
The Army has joined rescue and relief operations in north Bengal where landslides have killed at least 38 people.
Water level on Thursday started receding from areas in Jalpaiguri district which was inundated due to sudden rise in water level in all major rivers and release of excess water of Teesta river after rains in upper reaches.
Rescue operations were underway in three subdivisions of Darjeeling district where multiple landslides have claimed 38 lives besides washing away highways and damaging homes.
Professors and non-teaching staffs of the Calcutta University (CU) were on Wednesday allegedly heckled by activists of the Trinamool Chhatra Parishad, the students' union of the ruling party, a charge which was denied by the latter.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday announced a compensation of Rs four lakh each to the families of the deceased in landslides in Darjeeling Hills.
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Fast N Facts @7:30 pm
- What is the truth behind Journalist Akshay Singh's death?
- The mystery behind the deaths of Vyapam Scam continues- Part II
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Uddhav Thakeray hits out at BJP, says corruption visible everywhere
- SC allows child's guardianship without father's consent to unwed mother
- Arvind Kejriwal wants referendum on statehood for Delhi
- Mystery behind the deaths of Vyapam Scam continues!
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered
- Lionel Messi’s family attacked by Chile fans during Copa America final
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Dalai Lama birthday celebrations draw support, protests in US
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress
- Am glad my mother is back home: Esha Deol
- Fara Williams seals bronze for England at Women`s World Cup