Political parties, local gangs and terrorist organisations are among the suspects the National Investigation Agency (NIA) is tracking in its probe into the explosion in a suburban train in West Bengal`s North 24 Parganas district.
West Bengal News
Train services in Malda division of Eastern Railway was affected on Sunday as tracks caved in two places following incessant rains.
Three persons, including two boys, were swept away by river waters which flooded vast areas following torrential rains in Birbhum district on Saturday.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressing her opposition to the land acquisition bill and her inability to attend a meeting conveyed by him on the issue due to pre-occupations.
Massive water-logging following the season`s highest rainfall so far plunged the eastern metropolis into a state of chaos and disrupted normal life on Friday, officials said. An infant was also washed away and drowned due to the inundation.
Unidentified persons vandalised a church at Taherpur in West Bengal's Nadia district, the police said on Friday.
Heavy overnight rains lashed the city leading to water-logging in many parts and slow traffic movement.
One person was killed and two injured in firing when they were caught in a clash between employees of a bar and a group of unidentified people here on Thursday, police said.
In a warm sign of goodwill between political foes, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday told veteran Left leader Ashok Ghosh that he had the "right" to point out her mistakes while the latter described the TMC supremo as being just like his "younger sister".
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Thursday launched simultaneous searches in three states in connection with its money laundering probe in illegal mining of iron-ore scam in Odisha and other states, pegged at about Rs 2,000 crore.
To rehabilitate trafficked women and sex workers willing to leave the profession, the West Bengal government will start a livelihood programme for them this month.
CPI(M) General Secretary Sitaram Yechuri on Wednwsday claimed that the BJP and Trinamool Congress are playing a fixed political game in West Bengal as the two parties have reached a covert understanding at the Centre and in the state.
CPI(M) General Secretary Sitaram Yechuri on Wednesday indicated that former Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee will be reinducted into the party from which he was expelled seven years ago, as the two leaders shared a dais here.
The police on Wednesday failed to submit the case diary in the arrest of Hitunnesha Bibi, the victim of alleged police torture at Sattor village in Birbhum district, her husband Sabur Seikh and four others, though there was a court order, pleading that it needed time to interrogate the accused.
TMC MP Prasun Banerjee on Wednesday moved Barasat district court challenging the arrest warrant issued against him by a lower court for allegedly slapping a constable who had stopped his car for taking a wrong turn on the busy Lake Town-VIP Road crossing in January.
Hitting out at the TMC over its demand for a CBI inquiry into the Vyapam scam, BJP national secretary Siddharth Nath Singh today said there was a need for a similar CBI probe into the "TET scam" involving recruitment of primary teachers.
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) is in the process of attaching 'layered' Saradha properties worth around Rs 100 crore within a month's time, an official of the agency said.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA), probing the Burdwan blast, has been directed to investigate the explosion in a suburban train in West Bengal's North 24-Parganas district, suspecting a terror link.
Three persons were killed when a pick-up man collided with a lorry on NH 34 in Malda district Wednesday.
In a veiled attack on the BJP, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said a political party was smuggling in firearms and bombs and bringing hired goons to trouble-torn Birbhum district to foment violence.
Expressing happiness over the growing BJP membership in West Bengal, party chief Amit Shah on Tuesday asserted that this "workforce" would defeat the Mamata Banerjee's Trinamool Congress in the state.
Claiming that over two lakh people have been displaced by landslides that ravaged Darjeeling district following two days of incessant heavy rainfall early this month, BJP MP SS Ahluwalia on Tuesday said he has urged the Centre to send an inter-ministerial team to plan for rehabilitation of the region.
Expressing happiness over the growing BJP membership in West Bengal, party chief Amit Shah on Tuesday asserted that this "workforce" would defeat the Mamata Banerjee`s Trinamool Congress in the state.
The Jawaharlal Nehru University Teachers' Association (JNUTA) on Tuesday condemned the West Bengal government for "perpetrating violence" on peacefully agitating teachers of the state.
Rescue operations in landslide-hit Darjeeling hills in West Bengal may be over in another two-three days, an official said here on Tuesday.
BJP national president Amit Shah on Tuesday kicked off the 'Mahasampark Abhiyan' of BJP's Eastern Zone in Howrah district and stressed the need to reach out to the masses and spread the achievements of the one-year-old NDA government at the Centre.
One more body was tonight found in the landslide-battered Darjeeling district, taking the toll to 42.
One more body was on Monday night found in the landslide-battered Darjeeling district, taking the toll to 42.
Describing the spate of deaths linked to the Vyapam scam as "cold-blooded murders", West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday said the Trinamool Congress would raise the issue during the upcoming monsoon of Parliament and demanded a Supreme Court-monitored probe.
Nearly a decade after he gave a slip to enforcement agencies, law finally caught up with seer Durgesh Maharaj of Badrinath, who in his earlier avatar of a postal agent had allegedly duped people of Rs 2.63 crore by selling forged Kisan Vikas Patras.
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Nation bids tearful adieu to APJ Abdul Kalam in Rameswaram
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Two of four Indians kidnapped in Libya by ISIS released
- Rescue teams roped in as heavy rains lash Rajasthan, Gujarat
- Yakub Memon Hanging: Should capital punishment be abolished?-Part 3
- Vote bank politics on Yakub Memon's death?
- Kanwar Yatra: High alert sounded in western UP after IB alert
- Gurdaspur attack: Terrorists trained at Thailand-Myanmar border
- Yakub Memon Hanging: Should capital punishment be abolished?
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez
- Landmark judgement: 14-year-old rape survivor allowed to abort by Supreme Court
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Top 5 ways to celebrate Guru Purnima!
- Rahul Gandhi meets protesting FTII students, says RSS promoting mediocrity
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Nation bids tearful adieu to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam; PM Modi attends funeral in Rameswaram
- Yakub Memon hanging: J&K MLA reveals he met Tiger Memon in PoK
- Priyanka Chopra calls 'Bajirao Mastani', 'Dilwale' clash 'unfortunate'