The tournament started with eight participating teams, with East Africa, Sri Lanka being termed as the ‘minnows’ playing 60-overs per team one-day matches. The format was kept simple as two groups (with four teams each) competed for the best four to go up to the semi finals.
Caribbean dominance continued at the World Cup as the West Indies won the second edition of the tournament as well.
1983 – A golden year in the history of Indian cricket! The Men in Blue stunned the world as they went on to claim their first World Cup trophy.
The 1987 World Cup marked the beginning of Australia’s dominance in the world of cricket.
Cricket World Cup Final 1992 - Pakistan’s Imran Khan and his boys lifted their first World Cup trophy in 1992, the year which also marked the advent of coloured clothes and floodlights in cricket.
Once termed as the minnows in the tournament now walked away with the World Cup trophy – that is story of Sri Lanka when they won the World Cup in 1996, the year when the tournament once again returned to the Indian sub-continent.
The 1999 World Cup saw the trophy go back to former World Champions, Australia.
Australia’s dominance continued in the 21st century as Ricky Ponting and his boys picked the World Cup for the second consecutive year, their third in all.
Australia continued to rule world cricket after they defended their title for the third time in a row. Apart from Australia’s victory, there is no other reason why people would like to remember this World Cup.
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- Akhilesh Yadav emerges victorious; Ramgopal Yadav hints towards alliance with Congress
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- Killfie - India tops ranking for selfie deaths
- DNA: DIHAR produces vegetables for Army in high areas
- Watch: Heavy snowfall in Kashmir and other hilly areas!
- DNA: Why was Dangal girl Zaira Wasim forced to apologize post meeting with Mehbooba Mufti? - Part II
- PM Narendra Modi makes 14 key points in his speech at Raisina Dialogue - Watch video
- DNA: Why was Dangal girl Zaira Wasim forced to apologize post meeting with Mehbooba Mufti?
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble
- RBI hikes ATM withdrawal limit to Rs 10,000 per day; no change in weekly withdrawal limit
- Real reason why Election Commission gave 'cycle' to Akhilesh Yadav but not his father Mulayam Singh
- Akhilesh Yadav allotted `cycle` symbol by EC; UP CM seeks father Mulayam's blessings
- Ludhiana shocker: `They were dying...and people were clicking pictures`
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Good news for small traders: Withdrawal limit from current accounts doubled to Rs 1 lakh per week
- Nokia 6 to go on sale from January 19; gets over 1 million registrations
- SALMAN KHAN ACQUITTED IN ARMS ACT CASE BY JODHPUR COURT
- Expelled Sahibabad BSP MLA makes SHOCKING disclosure, claims Mayawati demanded Rs 8 cr for party ticket