The tournament started with eight participating teams, with East Africa, Sri Lanka being termed as the ‘minnows’ playing 60-overs per team one-day matches. The format was kept simple as two groups (with four teams each) competed for the best four to go up to the semi finals.
Caribbean dominance continued at the World Cup as the West Indies won the second edition of the tournament as well.
1983 – A golden year in the history of Indian cricket! The Men in Blue stunned the world as they went on to claim their first World Cup trophy.
The 1987 World Cup marked the beginning of Australia’s dominance in the world of cricket.
Cricket World Cup Final 1992 - Pakistan’s Imran Khan and his boys lifted their first World Cup trophy in 1992, the year which also marked the advent of coloured clothes and floodlights in cricket.
Once termed as the minnows in the tournament now walked away with the World Cup trophy – that is story of Sri Lanka when they won the World Cup in 1996, the year when the tournament once again returned to the Indian sub-continent.
The 1999 World Cup saw the trophy go back to former World Champions, Australia.
Australia’s dominance continued in the 21st century as Ricky Ponting and his boys picked the World Cup for the second consecutive year, their third in all.
Australia continued to rule world cricket after they defended their title for the third time in a row. Apart from Australia’s victory, there is no other reason why people would like to remember this World Cup.
- Patna sex racket: Non bailable warrant against Bihar Congress leader Brijesh Pandey
- People who demand proof for surgical strike are fools, says Paresh Rawal
- DNA: Passengers on Tejas Express steal headphones, damage screens
- Does India deserve the best facilities? Tejas Express defiled after first day of operations
- Intelligence Bureau issues alert for infiltration of 22 terrorists from Jaisalmer border
- 17-year-old boy develops unique slipper called 'Electroshoe' for women's safety
- Jharkhand: Naxals attack railway station, set goods train engine on fire
- 3 years of Modi govt: Zee Media's Exclusive with Radha Mohan Singh, Minister for Agriculture
- DNA: Analysing three years of Narendra Modi Government
- Watch: PM Modi inaugurates India's longest Dhola-Sadiya bridge in Assam
- Exclusive: In conversation with Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu over changes in Indian Railway
- Soaps, shampoos distributed among locals in Kushinagar before Yogi Adityanath's visit
- Today in History, 26th May 2017
- Burhan Wani's successor Sabzar Bhat killed in Kashmir
- Know how PM Modi changed India in 3 years
- Rajasthan Board 12th Arts Result 2017: Check RBSE 12th Class Arts Result at rajeduboard.rajasthan.gov.in
- WBBSE Results 2017: www.wbresults.nic.in WBBSE Madhyamik (Class 10) Results 2017 to be declared soon
- WBBSE Result 2017: West Bengal Madhyamik Result/WBBSE Madhyamik (Class 10) Results 2017 declared; check www.wbresults.nic.in
- HSC Result 2017: mahresult.nic.in Maharashtra HSC Result 2017 to be declared by May 30, 2017
- Wreckage of Indian Air Force's missing Sukhoi Su-30 fighter jet found
- Idea Data Jackpot Offer: Get 10 GB monthly data for 3 months at just Rs 100
- Tral encounter: Burhan Wani's successor Sabzar Bhat killed in Pulwama; shutdown in Kashmir Valley
- West Bengal Madhyamik Result: WBBSE Madhyamik (Class 10) Results 2017 to be declared shortly; check wbresults.nic.in
- Hizbul Commander Sabzar Bhat killed: Know how Burhan Wani's successor was tracked by intelligence agencies
- 21 Lashkar terrorists preparing for 'big terror attack' in India; Delhi Police on high alert
- Indian Army foils ambush by Pakistan's Border Action Team in Uri, two attackers gunned down
- Mitchell McCleneghan slams fan for anti-Muslim rant on Twitter
- Video of weeping toddler trying to breastfeed on dead mother is heartbreaking
- 'Sachin: A Billion Dreams' movie review: You don't have to be a cricket fan to love this film
- PM seeks people's feedback on three years of BJP govt as MODI Fest begins across 900 cities today