With dissidence against his leadership continuing, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi seems not confident in leading Congress in 2016 assembly polls in the state as he said today it was not important who will lead the party in polls but the party`s win.
"We did not vote for the BPF candidate in Lok Sabha polls, that`s why we were attacked," alleged 75-year-old Iman Ali.
Re-polling would be held on Thursday in six polling booths of three of the five Lok Sabha constituencies which went to polls on April 7.
The recurring flood and erosion problem, housing for the poor, welfare schemes for tea garden workers, Adivasis, backward classes and SHGs are the main issues dominating the coming Lok Sabha elections in Assam.
An estimated 65 per cent electorate exercised their franchise in the first phase of the panchayat elections in Assam.
The Assam government has declared dry days for 48 hours before polling on the second phase of Panchayat elections gets under way on February 6.
The BJP is not discouraged by
the outcome of the Assam Assembly results and will forge ahead
to increase its vote share in the Congress ruled state, its
president Nitin Gadkari said.
Tarun Gogoi was on Tuesday unanimously
elected as the Leader of the Assam Pradesh Congress
Legislature Party for the third consecutive term.
The All India United Democratic
Front (AIUDF), the second largest party with 18 seats, is trying to bring in three more MLAs to its fold so that it can
have its own Leader of Opposition in the 13th Assam Assembly.
The Asom Gana Parishad made the bizarre demand for a re-poll using traditional ballots, saying that the Congress had rigged the electronic voting machines to win the Assam elections for the third straight time.
The Congress in Assam, winning
a near absolute majority with 78 seats, has wrested 32 seats
from its opponents but its 15 sitting MLAs, including two
ministers, have lost their seats.
If the development plank the Cong rode on in the two previous elections endeared itself to voters in Assam, the near-absence of militancy for a considerable time made the party`s position stronger in the 2011 assembly election.
The Congress won 78 of the 126 Assembly seats, while its ally, the Bodoland People`s Front (BPF) won 12 seats.
Congress got a comfortable majority in the Assam Assembly Elections as the party won 77 out of the total 126 seats. This means that incumbent Tarun Gogoi will be the Chief Minister for third term in a row.
Chief Minister Tarun
Gogoi has combined administrative and political acumen with
his simple demeanour to help Congress retain power for a
record consecutive third term.
Set to retain power for the
third consecutive term, Assam CM Tarun Gogoi on Friday said bringing all insurgents groups, including the ULFA, to
the negotiating table would be his main priority to ensure
lasting peace in the state.
The BJP on Thursday said it was open
to post-poll adjustment with Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) in a bid
to oust the Congress government in Assam.
The BJP is confident of forming the next
government in Assam and doing reasonably well in Tamil Nadu,
Kerala, Puducherry and West Bengal, party president Nitin
An estimated 75 per cent of
voting was recorded during re-polling in six centres of three
Assam assembly constituencies.
Asom Gana Parishad expressed confidence of posting a huge win in the just concluded state assembly elections and forming the next government in Assam.
BJP claimed it foresaw the
possibility of a non-Congress government coming to power in
Assam assembly elections and said it is in talks with AGP to
explore the possibilities of forming the next dispensation.
The second and last phase of Assembly polls in Assam saw a voter turnout of 70.35%.
Nalbari district in Assam
having a total of six assembly constituencies that went to
second and last phase poll on Monday has recorded the highest
voter turnout of 78.31 per cent.
The last phase of Assembly polls in Assam passed off peacefully with a voter turnout of 70.35%.
Alleged manhandling by police while trying to maintain order at a voter queue at a polling station in Mazbat in lower Assam`s Udalaguri district sparked off a face-off between voters and the police.
In the first incident of
poll-related violence on the eve of Monday`s second phase of
polling in Assam, two persons have been killed in Kokrajhar
district of Assam.
In stray poll-related
incidents in Assam, which goes for second phase assembly
polls on Monday, two persons have been killed and three
mediapersons injured in Kokrajhar.
The stage is all set for the second and final phase of polls in 64 Assembly constituencies in 14 districts of Central and Lower Assam amidst tight security on Sunday.
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- Mumbai local crashes into platform at Churchgate Station
- India is agriculturally dominated country, says PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- Aapke Sitare, June 28: Astro prediction for Aries, Taurus, Gemini and Cancer
- Politics of polarization: Neglect of Muslims during Ramzan in PM Modi's Mann Ki Baat?-Part 2
- Beware of infectious diseases during rainy season!
- Politics of polarization: Neglect of Muslims during Ramzan in PM Modi's Mann Ki Baat?
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar
- PM Modi's 'Mann ki Baat' 9th edition: As It Happened
- Shah Rukh Khan to work with Karan Johar again?
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Twitter trolls get a dose of Karan Johar's wrath for mocking same-sex marriage in the US
- Disclose FIR and chargesheet of Mahatma Gandhi's assassination: CIC
- IPL-6 spot fixing case: Delhi court to pass order on framing of charges today
- MPPEB scam turns murkier, two more accused found dead