More than 30 homes are feared destroyed as firefighters battle the worst bushfire in South Australia for three decades, with officials warning Sunday of a threat to lives even as weather conditions improve.
Dozens of homes were feared lost as an intense bushfire raged out of control in South Australia on Saturday, with firefighters struggling to contain the worst blaze in decades as strong winds fanned the flames.
Three people were killed and many injured on Monday, police said, when a car ploughed into pedestrians and caught fire in Beijing`s Tiananmen Square, the site of 1989 pro-democracy protests bloodily suppressed by the government.
Fire officials defended Australia`s defense department today after investigators revealed a military training exercise ignited the largest of the wildfires that have torn across the nation`s most populous state over the past week.
A plane dousing wildfires in bushland around the Australia`s biggest city, Sydney, crashed into a national park on Thursday, sparking a new fire to add to 55 still burning across the state of New South Wales.
The firefighter officials battling the wildfire in the state of New South Wales in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney said that the worst fears from the blazes are over but the crisis are far from over yet.
At least 900 bushfire claims have been lodged with the Australian insurers so far, with losses of more than 100 million Australian dollars ($96 million), the Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) said Tuesday.