The death toll in the Saudi Hajj disaster rose sharply as Iran announced 465 of its pilgrims died in last week's stampede and crush, nearly doubling its earlier count and likely further straining relations between the two Mideast rivals.
Saudi Arabia on Tuesday said the nearly 1,100 photos distributed to foreign diplomats to help identify nationals who have died in the Hajj are from the entire pilgrimage and not just a disaster near Mecca.
The number of Indians killed in a stampede at the Haj rose to 45 Monday as authorities identified 10 more bodies among the victims of the worst tragedy in 25 years to hit the annual pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia.
At least 18 Pakistani nationals were among 769 pilgrims killed in last week's horrific stampede during Hajj, the worst incident in 25 years to strike the annual pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia, officials said on Sunday.
The death toll in a crush at the annual haj pilgrimage outside Mecca rose to 769, Saudi Arabia said on Saturday, as arch-rival Iran said Saudi officials should be tried in an international court for what it called a crime.
The death toll of Indian pilgrims in the horrific stampede during Hajj rose to 18 on Saturday as Saudi Arabia grappled to come to terms with the worst tragedy to hit the annual pilgrimage in 25 years that has claimed 719 lives so far.
While Saudi Arabia on Friday suggested pilgrims failing to follow crowd control rules bore some blame for the stampede that claimed more than 700 lives, a report has blamed convoy of the son of the Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud for the tragedy.
Saudi Arabia, under growing pressure to account for a crush that killed more than 700 people at the Hajj pilgrimage, on Friday suggested pilgrims failing to follow crowd control rules bore some blame for the worst disaster at the event for 25 years.